Today, I clicked on the Recycle Bin and chose the

Properties tag. Lo and behold, all the partitions

seemed to have reserved 10% HD space for the

Recycle Bin. For me, that comes out to be around

60 GB! What the hell !...

I am finding out where a good chunk of my HD had

disappeared off to.

Sheikh 'Mera Long Gawacha' Chilli

You missed System Restore points. They suck up far more space over time.

For the pagefile/virtual memory, letting Windows handle its size would result in plenty of fragmentation on the HDD. Set it to a fixed size of 1.5 to 2 times the RAM capacity installed in your system.

Hibernation file size would increase depending on your RAM and considering the size of modern HDDs, it shouldn't be a major concern. Same stands for the recycle bin if you clear it regularly. After all, 10% maximum capacity on each partition does not translates to the recycle bin actually consuming that much space. Normally, it uses far less.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Set it to a fixed size of 1.5 to 2 times the RAM capacity installed in your system.
[/quote]

exactly good values.

---------------------

Other things are also true but as for me they are spots to keep things alive.

Hibernation…? I really need it some times when I dont have any other option for a standby power.

and System Restopre Points… I have also used them as well in my home PC very often… but only on OS drive.

and I think it worths to give some space to these utilities when you really need it.

Hibernation file is always equal to size of your computer's RAM. Most of the time I use hibernation. Hibernation file can't be moved and must be in boot drive (usually C:\).

Move page-file to a dedicated partition/harddisk and fix its size to 1.5 (average user usage) to 2.5 (pro user usage). Its size depend on your usage of softwares.

Turn off restore points, they are useless to me and eat most of HDD space.

sheikh chilli I recommend that you use windirstat to identify which files and directories are using up your hard disk space

http://windirstat.info/

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Today, I clicked on the Recycle Bin and chose the

Properties tag. Lo and behold, all the partitions

seemed to have reserved 10% HD space for the

Recycle Bin. For me, that comes out to be around

60 GB! What the hell !..

[/quote]

Actually…that space is not used up at all. Any file you delete that you don’t clear out of the recycle bin (thereby deleting it permanently) takes up that reserved space.

more importantly use,CCLEANEr to get rid of old registries and they can clean GB's of HDD..yes hibernation file also eats a lot....