Thermal Paste: Guide required

Asalam O Alikum!

I have Intel Pentium D 3.40, due to hot weather it is generating much temperature these days like on idle it usually stays from 50 - 56C and upon using some gaming or some high processing app it shoots up to 70 - 80C sometimes which is not good as I can't afford any high end cooling system so I eventually remove the side lids of my PC casing and try to cool it down with my super duper Air cooler :D (a good desi method).

Anyhow I googled about this matter and found Thermal Paste method but I don't actually have any idea from where I can buy Thermal Paste here in Faisalabad and how to apply this paste between heat sink and processor and most importantly after applying this paste on processor how much temperature it will able to reduce. I need some help and suggestion from you on this.

Regards

it happens tht the thermal paste drys if not applied for quite long and if the processor is being used at an extensive temprature. it is advisable to get it done by a professional but anyways you can get it through the accesories shop..they have these thermal paste in small packets...they worth from 10-20Rs...now the applying thing requires expertiese..specially removing the processor from board and re-applying...google arnd and check some youtube videos before you take this risk.!

^ Rs10-20 Thermal paste? :P

I applied this packet thermal paste year ago by my own hands and its running okay it now. Applying method is hard "waise hi first time dar lagta hai :D

Thnx all for the advice. I saw some videos and have some idea now how to apply the paste but one thing still bugging me how can I remove the previous applied paste from head sink and processor as the cleaning agents mentioned in those videos is mostly alcoholic which is defiantly hard to find here for this purpose what else you guys can suggest me to use instead to any alcoholic agent.

Regards.

wen u'll remove the processor u'll see the dried heatsink paste...now take the residue off by those nail polish thingy or simply wipe it by warm watered sponge....its pretty simple!

Hmm Thnx I will try to remove that with nail polish remover :)

i cleaned old paste off mine with simple tissue paper and water.

then reapplied sum on top center of processor in one big blob.

then pressed the heatsink down on top evenly.

the imp thing is getting the four fasteners tied down properly. even if one is not properly in place ur processor temp will be up to 60 or 70 degrees at idle. tried and tested.

You used water to clean your CPU? Your lucky there wasn't a short circuit! I have read recommendations online for using isopropyl alcohol to clean the CPU and heatsink. Anyone know what the desi term for this is? I know they won't understand rubbing alcohol at my local hardware store.

rokra bahi I tried to find this thing in Faisalabad :D but no one knows what I was talking :P hehehe

hey u can use any sort of solvent tht'l evaporate completely. use nailpolish remover. gud luck procuring that. :P

i wet a tissue with water and used it on the TOP of the processor while it was OUT in my hands. and just 2 mins under the fan and it all dries up. no way it can short circuit there....

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

rokra bahi I tried to find this thing in Faisalabad :D but no one knows what I was talking :P hehehe
[/quote]

I think you have to ask for isoproyl alcohol at a drug store not a hardware store. They use it to sterilise stuff. Rubbing alcohol is supposed to be available at hardware stores but I don’t what its called in pak. I think its like an electrical items cleaning spray.

I cleaned that old thermal paste with nail polish remover. Its good.

I applied the thermal paste to an intel processor a couple of years back that kept over heating and restarting. I had to buy an AMD heatsink which had the paste included :( as the shoppie didn't have any open available.

Let me tell you guys my recent experience. I followed the advice given above and cleaned the CPU and heatsink using nail polish remover. However I was careful to not get any polish remover on the contacts of the CPU. I let both the HSF and the CPU dry before installation.

As far as thermal paste goes, I got some from czone. It wasn't as cheap as indicated above. I got a syringe of this chinese paste for Rs. 130. It price is listed as much less online though.

http://www.satistronics.com/1g-thermal-grease-paste-compound-pc-cpu-tube-drg33_p2204.html

http://balancestars.com.cn/webs_en/brand_product.asp - manufacturer's site

Today i again re-apply thermal paste and clean old one with nail polish remover (thinner). Its safe but you've have careful about that it doesn't touch motherboard.

dude!!!

who says its got to be IN the motherboard while u clean it???

take it OUT. and then clean it.

^

Was about to say the same thing :)

I applied the thermal paste to an intel processor a couple of years back that kept over heating and restarting. I had to buy an AMD heatsink which had the paste included :( as the shoppie didn't have any open available.

Let me tell you guys my recent experience. I followed the advice given above and cleaned the CPU and heatsink using nail polish remover. However I was careful to not get any polish remover on the contacts of the CPU. I let both the HSF and the CPU dry before installation.

As far as thermal paste goes, I got some from czone. It wasn't as cheap as indicated above. I got a syringe of this chinese paste for Rs. 130. It price is listed as much less online though.

http://www.satistronics.com/1g-thermal-grease-paste-compound-pc-cpu-tube-drg33_p2204.html

http://balancestars.com.cn/webs_en/brand_product.asp - manufacturer's site