Thermal Insulation of Roofs

i have just got some rates from differents insulating materials of diff. companies.

dimond jumbolan sheets 1 inch....36/sqft

dimond jumbolan thermospray 1inch...40/sqft

----------------

thermopore sheets 1 inch(25kg din)15/sqft

thermopore sheets 1inch(30kg din)17.80/sqft

thermopore blu sheets 1 inch(35kg din)20.90/sqft

Guys, you should also check out this product, it will give much better results:

http://www.rockwool.web.pk/Ris4.html

I am planning coat and insulate my already built roof. At the moment it is brick layered.

I plan to use White Cement, Silica Sand ( being good insulator) and Acrylic or UV paint.

Do you think it is good idea to mix White Cement mix with Silica Sand and then apply paint on top it ? Its just an idea.

hi friends.. all of u are talking about thermal insulation, Diamond's Jumbolon. Clay tiles or etc but the facts is all of things will might be beneficial in summer but not in winter. coz in summer we want our roof should remain cool coz of heat and in winter roof should remain hot coz of cold. if any of above thing will exist on roof in winter, then ur roof will not gona hot. coz the necessary heat which is very use full to heat up ur roof in winter will be absorb or block by these things.. if any one can tell the thing which is equally beneficial in summer and as well in winter.. then plz reply

^^

Think of insulation as a thermos, it can keep hot liquids hot and cool liquids cool. So if your roof is insulated it will help keep your room warm in winters and cool in summers.

after a long search i got a dimond jumbolan insulation rolls with 1 inch thickness from a kabariya in 25 rps/sqf(new one s 40 rps/sqf.

one side of rolls are leminated with golden color paper.a dimond company guy told me that these rolls are specialy made for cold storeges to meet their needs.

i will reply back after laying the rolls .

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

hi friends… all of u are talking about thermal insulation, Diamond’s Jumbolon. Clay tiles or etc but the facts is all of things will might be beneficial in summer but not in winter. coz in summer we want our roof should remain cool coz of heat and in winter roof should remain hot coz of cold. if any of above thing will exist on roof in winter, then ur roof will not gona hot. coz the necessary heat which is very use full to heat up ur roof in winter will be absorb or block by these things… if any one can tell the thing which is equally beneficial in summer and as well in winter… then plz reply
[/quote]

Insulation is helpful in both seasons.

In winters we use heaters inside our homes.

That is lost through the roof and walls

An insulated home will keep that heat inside.

can someone plz guide me about ...

1-what are the overall solution for roof insulation ??

2-estimated cost of the "full solution/sqft".. ??

A-Jumbolon + All Associated Work ...

B-Thermopore + ......

C-choka and Mud ??.....

In summers roof of my house always gets very hot and impossible to sit in the upper lounge without 1.5 ton unit running at 24°C or below. I wanted to find a solution to cool down the roof. Lately I saw an ad of ICI weather shield stating it can bring down the temperature by 5°C. So I thought to do an experiment on the roof. To my amazement the end result was amazing and actually today I am sitting comfortably at the upper storey without AC while temperatures are :

inside : 33.7°C

Temperature outside: is 41.7°C (in shadow) & 43.5°C (in sunlight). (14th May 2011)

Difference: 7°C to 10°C

However, before the application, I did a recording of temperature, (probably 10 days)

Inside Lounge: 33°C

Outside: 38°C

Difference: 5°C

How I did this ?

The roof of my house is brick layered. I inspected and found it had lots of grime & dust. The only way to remove it was using metal wire brush. Here are the pictures of the roof before cleaning:

So I had to hire laborers to get the roof cleaned with use of water & metal brushes. The result I wanted was red bricks should be visible. This is what it looked after the cleaning.

IMG_1948.jpg

The next stages I did were 1 coat of ICI primer and 2 coats of ICI weather shield (5°C cooler - slightly expensive than normal ICI weather shield). The area I covered with this is approximate 750 sqft. In total 2 gallons of ICI primer & 2 gallons of ICI weather shield (5°C cooler) used. ICI primer 1 gallon mixed with 1.5 liter of kerosene oil. 1 gallon could only cover half of 350 sqft. Weather shield was mixed with water 1-1 ratio or may be a little less water. 1 gallon used for 1st coat to cover 750 sqft (approx) 2nd gallon used for second coat.

After the application, next day afternoon I checked the white surface with hand and a part of bare surface ( small area where I didn’t needed to apply the coat). The difference was huge to my amazement. I could keep my hand on the white surface as long as I can, but on the bare surface not more than 3-4 seconds.

I do not have a surface temperature meter, but used this digital thermometer. Remember it cannot go above 108°F and below 97.4°F. You can see at the bare surface thermometer rises to its limits and at the white surface it comes down to its lower limit. The difference is very easily noticeable with one hand at bare surface and one at the white surface.

inside : 33.7°C

Temperature outside: is 41.7°C (in shadow) & 43.5°C (in sunlight). (14th May 2011)

Difference: 7°C to 10°C

Inside

Shadow

Sunlight:

The trick of weather shield could be white and material itself as well. I chose white color to get the maximum result., as it reflects sunlight efficiently.

Benefits:

Inner surface (Ceiling) is now cool.

Inner walls are also cool.

Since the roof temperature is not climbing, it is not transferring heat to inner surface (ceiling) and ultimately to inner walls. Hence in the evening, it is now wonderful and I run ac at 28°C-30°C with no one complaining of being hot or whatever :). Before that heat used to transfer to walls, hence making the whole environment very hot and impossible to sit without 1.5 ton AC running at 24°C and below even in the evening & night time.

Since Lahore has a very dusty environment, I might have to keep the roof clean every 2-3 weeks. Infact it drizzled yesterday (13th May) and dust got stick, so I used water to get it cleaned. Also smoother the surface, better will be the result.

Hope it will be beneficial to some of visitors here.

^vazim

wow! results! yar you did good, but what about those roofs who have cemented the bricks? just like plaster on wall.

^vazim

wow! results! yar you did good, but what about those roofs who have cemented the bricks? just like plaster on wall.

[/quote]

This is even better, because the surface is smooth. Do the same as i did.

1. Clean with water & normal broom (jharoo).

2. do a coat of primer

3. do double coat of weather shield.

hmm............I had the thoughts that cement has more tendency to absorb heat as compared to brick, am i right or wrong, thats why i asked.

And besides from cleaning the surface for the paint, dust and that black dirt, plays its role in increasing the temperature due to its color.

I'll do the same thing like wazim did...Here in my area the average temperature is 45°C in day..and it not even expensive too

hmm…I had the thoughts that cement has more tendency to absorb heat as compared to brick, am i right or wrong, thats why i asked.

And besides from cleaning the surface for the paint, dust and that black dirt, plays its role in increasing the temperature due to its color.

[/quote]

i think cement or brick there will be little difference between them when it comes to heat transfer.

I’ll do the same thing like wazim did…Here in my area the average temperature is 45°C in day…and it not even expensive too
[/quote]

gallon of ICI primer is Rs. 1020 x 2 = 2200

gallon of ICI weather shield (5°C cooler) 1355 x 2 = Rs. 2710/-

kerosene oil - 4 litre = 420

5" brush= 160/-

metal brush x 3= 60/-

cleaning by labor = Rs. 1500/-

paint by myself.

Total 7000/-

area covered 750 sqft

still pretty cheap compared to other solutions.

Same thoughts as armada, it is a pretty much cheaper solution, and very effective.

@vazim

excellent how to and thanks a ton for sharing all your work.

what if we use Oil paint instead of Weather shield 5°C cooler?

@vazim

excellent how to and thanks a ton for sharing all your work.

what if we use Oil paint instead of Weather shield 5°C cooler?

[/quote]

I had options as under:-

1. Using 2 coats of Primer only.

or

2. Using 1 coat Primer & 1 coat oil paint

or

3. using 2 coats of oil paint

or

4. 1 coat primer & 2 coat weather shield.

The reason i went for option -4 is that, i was not sure how paint or primer will perform under sunlight & rain. For weather shield we know it is weather sheild. Also i read somewhere an indian did almost the same application to his roof.

how many labors you hired and how much time they took?