The Windows 8 thread

The Public preview is coming at the end of June. This will be the first time since windows 7 beta that I'll be looking forward to what Microsoft is upto with Windows Blue.

i really dont like win 8, and 7, its so complicated, i think win xp is best for every computer.

Windows 8.1 is going to launch on 18th October. I have upgraded my work laptop to Windows 8 Enterprise and I really like it. Can't go back to Windows 7 really. I also installed Office 2013 but it was a disaster. Excel kept crashing very now now and then, and it was unbearably slow overall. My advice is to stick with Office 2010 currently.

^ Office 2013 works just fine for me. And yes, Windows 8 is pretty good... once you get rid of the metro crap. Hopefully 8.1 will be more than a simple update.

I actually use metro apps quite a lot. My full time browsing is now on the Metro IE. Other metro apps that I use are Aviary Photo editor, Google Search, Wikipedia, Cut the rope, Jetpack joyride, Mail, and SkyDrive.

For those who want to experience the OS before actually installing it, Virtual Machine is a good idea. I use VirtualBox to test different kinds of OS and software before actually installing them. Windows 8 along with Office 2013 seems to be working fine with decent speed even under VirtualBox. I am also thinking of switching to Windows 8/8.1, but the only thing keeping me from installing it is its bootloader which takes over the previous windows installations and only lets you choose an old OS temporarily, that too after booting into Windows 8, which takes quite a while. If anyone knows a workaround, please share it here.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 to manufacturers ahead of October 18 launch

We caught the first Windows 8.1 (aka Blue) news back in March, and after several betas and a preview, it's been bundled off to manufacturers. That's a mere five months from alpha code to gold master, a feat that Microsoft trumpeted as "an unparalleled level of collaboration" between customers and Windows product teams. Now, manufacturers will be able to ramp up their production lines with the new version in time for the holidays, as Redmond emphasized in its Blogging Windows post. Current Windows 8 owners will get the update for free, but all end users will have to hang on until the official October 18th release date. With a month and change left, though, it looks like all the ducks are in a row to herald the return of the tech world's most infamous button.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/27/microsoft-windows-8-1-rtm/

[/quote]

Now just have to wait for the torrents to pop up. If they've really fixed the few major issues i had with it, then i might just buy the retail edition later on. It would be the right thing to do, since very few people are supporting the new OS right now.

^ I find it really weird that they are with holding release to current users of Windows 8 who will be taking the upgrade path. I mean what's the point? The only modifications that they are now going to make would be through updates which will be downloaded through Windows Update. At least make the OS available to developers so that they can update their applications to work properly with Win8.1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

They're out.

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X86.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT

2.72 GB

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.RTM.X64.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT

3.63 GB

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.ENTERPRISE.RTM.X86.VOLUME.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT

2.63 GB

MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.1.ENTERPRISE.RTM.X64.VOLUME.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT

3.54 GB

If anyone wants high-speed links to try them out, hit me a PM.

^ I'll wait for the official release as I don't want to mess up my work laptop. :)

On another note, the guys over at LiveSide have an interesting theory about the launch delay of Windows 8.1:

http://www.liveside.net/2013/08/28/skydrive-renaming-and-windows-8-1-delay-are-they-related/

They think that MS is delaying it because they want to launch Windows 8.1 with the revised name of Skydrive.

just got the 8.1 volume rtm...

what different it offers from Win8? worth installing?

http://bit.ly/142XWMH

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

[quote=“shaheerk, post:172, topic:17693”]

[/quote]

Pow! Right in the kisser! :D

@Corrupt Here, read this article: http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/20091/windows-81-vs-windows-8-top-10-upgrades

[quote=“shaheerk, post:172, topic:17693”]

[/quote]

Leave this forum and do everything on google...

asstupid people trying to be over assmart.

I just might try 8.1 out of sheer curiosity, though I'm still terribly put off by the retarded metro interface. All I want to ask if 8.1 allows me to directly login to the desktop without ever touching metro?

And what exactly does the start button do? Does it offer the same functionality as in windows 7? Also, how do I completely disable those unintuitive charms and bars?

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

^ I haven't installed it yet because a hactivator for it isn't out yet. But once i do that, i will let you know in detail about the goods and bads of win 8.1.

What i can tell you yet is that it is supposed to allow you to boot directly to desktop. The start button is just for show though, clicking it will take you to metro... But that's where softwares like startisback come to work.

[quote=“jDk, post:175, topic:17693”]

I just might try 8.1 out of sheer curiosity, though I’m still terribly put off by the retarded metro interface. All I want to ask if 8.1 allows me to directly login to the desktop without ever touching metro?

And what exactly does the start button do? Does it offer the same functionality as in windows 7? Also, how do I completely disable those unintuitive charms and bars?

Thanks

[/quote]

Yes. You can directly boot to metro in Windows 8.1. Here’s an excellent article from ZDnet for just that:

http://www.zdnet.com/the-metro-haters-guide-to-the-windows-8-1-preview-7000018398/

[quote=“jDk, post:175, topic:17693”]

I just might try 8.1 out of sheer curiosity, though I’m still terribly put off by the retarded metro interface. All I want to ask if 8.1 allows me to directly login to the desktop without ever touching metro?

Thanks

[/quote]

If you want to have the same functionality as a Windows 7 start button then you can install Start8.

Windows 8 is good but 7 is awesome

My impression of Windows 8.1 can be summed up in two words: extremely disappointing. The tablophobia of a Desktop OS continues, as Windows 8.1 hides or completely removes several potentially useful Desktop features, while gussying up the Metro interface. If you're also not vigilant during installation, you will automatically be opted into using Bing ad-driven searches, SkyDrive integration and a Microsoft Account. The only unambiguously positive changes are the addition of options to boot straight to Desktop, and disable the hot corners, neatly hidden away under the Taskbar Properties>Navigation tab I might add. Fortunately, workarounds exist for some of the changes, and of course Start Menu replacement utilities, along with other Windows 8 customization tools, will provide further options.

However, this bastardization of Windows makes me quite angry. Having used every version of Microsoft's operating systems since 1990's (Windows 3.1), this is the first time I truly believe that Microsoft has lost its way. To put it bluntly, Windows 8.1 is a mish-mash of interfaces, and in some cases borderline deceptive options, mainly to serve Microsoft's dubious ambitions in the mobile device arena, rather than consumers and businesses. It will only serve to further confuse and alienate the average PC user, and hasten the PC's demise. I can honestly say it seems like one step forward, four steps back when compared to Windows 7.