The Windows 8 thread

I am using classic shell for windows 7 menu and it working good.

I had to dump 8 cause my sound card driver would crash on it often. The 64 bit version was unfriendly with my drivers... and I don't have any new drivers cause my machine is over 5 years old.

Had to refer to Windows 7.

sent from my mini tractor

^ Audigy 2 ZS ? Or Xfi series ? I might be able to help :).

Conexant. :P

Apparently, the x64 drivers for Vista work on Windows 7 (when I tried it a long, long time ago) but not on W8.

And then - I'm not the only one using my laptop - my mum did not understand how to navigate W8...until she found the desktop... Which was like after searching for 30 minutes...

Tried the evaluation of Windows 8 Enterprise on my laptop, and could not take it for more than 30 mins, switched backed to Windows 7.

I think windows 8 is more for tablets and PCs with touch screen monitors.

For me on my desktop pc windows 8 is working flawless except for few games that came before windows 8 r not working.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

In W8. You need to remember the left and right corners. Oh, and the right click.

“Pulling” apps from the top to the bottom closes the app (Metro apps). But your right and left corners are important for navigation.

Once you know that, Windows isn’t half as bad.

I was hanig some compatibilty issues with windows 8 , so now I am back to windows 7 ... WIndows 8 seems to be good but there are a lot of updates which needs to be done :D

I am also thinking to go back to windows 7. Bcoz windows 8 cant run many games :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm using Windows 8 64bit Enterprise Evaluation version and trying to run this old game. This game used to run fine in full screen in Win7 64bit but now in win8 its not running. It would not display anything when made full screen. Can you please verify in your Win8?

It's working fine on my Windows 8 on both windowed & full-screen modes.

BTW, It's an emulator game, so you may try running it on a newer version of the emulator (or some other emulator) if you continue to experience problems.

^You checked this on your 64bit version of Windows 8?

I found the cause of the problem:

Oh boy, tiny toons. That game just took me back to 1994, when I played it on mega drive for the very first time. :(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Windows 8 hits 100 million licenses sold

Microsoft has now sold over 100 million Windows 8 licenses, the company announced today in an official blog post to its website. This figure includes licenses that ship on new tablets and PCs, as well as upgrades to Windows 8. It is up from 60 million announced in January.

In addition, Windows chief marketing officer and chief financial officer Tami Reller revealed that the number of Windows 8 and Windows RT certified devices has jumped to 2,400.

Also in the blog post, Reller said consumer feedback will shape the future of Windows 8. She revealed Windows Blue, a codename for an update to the OS that will be available later in 2013.

In addition to introducing various performance updates and new options, Windows Blue will make changes based on input Microsoft has received from customers.

"The Windows Blue update is also an opportunity for us to respond to the customer feedback that we've been closely listening to since the launch of Windows 8 and Windows RT," Reller said.

This new update is rumored to mark the return of the Windows Start button and a boot-to-desktop option, which will allow users to bypass the Windows 8 Metro interface altogether.

Windows 8 launched in October. GameSpot sister site CNET found that the operating system "embraces the future wholeheartedly," but said the learning curve was "steep" and in-app navigation can be difficult.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/windows-8-hits-100-million-licenses-sold-6408014

[/quote]

Good to hear. After having used it for about 9 months now, i can safely say it is a good OS. As i initially said in this thread, the only real issue with the OS was metro & the lack of the classic start menu. But once you use 3rd-party softwares to disable metro & get the start menu back, then it is pretty much an updated/tweaked/enhanced Windows 7. There are still some compatibility issues with some apps & games, but thankfully you don't encounter them often. Good OS ruined by some bad decisions taken by Microsoft. But thankfully they're supposedly gonna fix that with the Windows Blue update.

Meh. Meh. A BIG FACKING MEH.

METRO NEEDS TO GTFO OFF THE DESKTOP. FOREVER. THOSE HIDEOUS CHARMS ARE A BLOODY EYESORE. GIVE ME THE IMPROVEMENTS OF WINDOWS 8 WITH EXACT AESTHETICS OF WINDOWS 7 AND MAYBE I'LL RECONSIDER IT FROM AN EPIC FAIL OS TO SOMEWHAT ACCEPTABLE.

END RANT :lol:

Win 8 is that Win 8 is what win 8 is bla bla Big lectures ends up on installing pirated copy :rolleyes:

aM jUst KidDinG :P

[quote=“Upsilon, post:155, topic:17693”]

Good to hear. After having used it for about 9 months now, i can safely say it is a good OS. As i initially said in this thread, the only real issue with the OS was metro & the lack of the classic start menu. But once you use 3rd-party softwares to disable metro & get the start menu back, then it is pretty much an updated/tweaked/enhanced Windows 7. There are still some compatibility issues with some apps & games, but thankfully you don't encounter them often. Good OS ruined by some bad decisions taken by Microsoft. But thankfully they're supposedly gonna fix that with the Windows Blue update.

[/quote]

the Next update will hide metro and give users the traditional start menu. :)

In any case, I think the "new" windows needs and expectations upon release, before we can fully use it.

Microsoft is going to address a lot of issues with the Windows Blue update. Lets hope the annoying start tile screen thing is fixed :)