The Windows 8 thread

Windows 10 briefing event is going live in 2 hours.

If you guys are interested...

http://news.microsoft.com/windows10story/

Ok it's live now.

But i stopped watching when he said we have lot to share over the next two hours. :o

I better watch "John Wick" then and read about the event in tomorrow's articles.

Is Windows Defender any good? :unsure:

You best stick with bit defender free edition antivirus. Lightest av and unobtrusive in nature. It will never nag you for updates or anything. It will update automatically and only prompt you for action when needed. In a nutshell, a solution designed for power users like us.

[quote=“jDk, post:364, topic:17693”]

You best stick with bit defender free edition antivirus. Lightest av and unobtrusive in nature. It will never nag you for updates or anything. It will update automatically and only prompt you for action when needed. In a nutshell, a solution designed for power users like us.

[/quote]

It's either Windows Defender or else, Symantec Endpoint Protection 12. FWIW, I prefer SEP since it updates its definitions automatically, its footprint is light on memory and it keeps scanning files in the background. The only con I have found is that you have to create custom scans for scanning selective files/folders which takes a wee bit more time than with other AV clients.

I absolutely positively hate McAfee's products for their obtrusive prompts, continuous warnings and being a general pain in the a$$ when one is trying to get actual work done. :angry:

[quote=“Asad, post:363, topic:17693”]

[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty decent. Back in the day i always used to install Eset, but then i decided i don't really need that kind of security anymore. All the things i download these days are from trusted places/uploaders so I'm not much concerned about viruses and such these days.

The point is, if you're in a similar scenario then you'll be absolutely fine with Windows Defender (previously known as Microsoft Security Essensials in earlier windows). The security is fine, updates are automatic, it doesn't cause any obvious performance slowdowns, it has all the necessary features available.

Symantic used to be good back in the day, but i haven't tried it in a long time so can't tell how well it compares to modern AVs.

Bitdefender Free is pathetic for any tech users or gamers like me. As an AV it might be great because of it's good detection rates and unobtrusive interfece, but it doesn't have ANY kind of configuration or settings at all, which literally makes it the most basic AV ever. My biggest gripe with it is the lack of an Exclusions list, which means i cannot add any kind of 'false alarm' type cracks on there, and hence it will keep deleting them... a complete d!ck of an AV IMO. lol

Usually websites put Bitdefender plus as the best one out there.

Though i am a long time Norton user and i like it because it silently does its job and let me do mine. I did try Mcafee/TrendMicro/Bitdefender in between but faced many pop ups etc with them so went back to Norton.

And it does have exlusion lists (both real time and scanning) which comes handy at times, example being "IDM"

I don't know how much these reviews matter, but this site puts latest Norton version among top 5.

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

My Fav ESET..

[quote=“Upsilon, post:366, topic:17693”]

Symantic used to be good back in the day, but i haven't tried it in a long time so can't tell how well it compares to modern AVs.
[/quote]

SEP is a corporate AV client so it needs to be a no-nonsense get-the-job-done kind of software to gain any foothold in that market. Exclusion lists are a basic feature which any AV client of any standing must have before being considered for the job.

I have heard good things about Kaspersky too and they have authorized license distributors in Pakistan so two thumbs up for that. If it weren't for SEP, I would have preferred Kaspersky for having a presence here.

Special thanks to fooking Wapda for going out at a totally random time out of the fooking blue, right when i was about to install the november update, i'm now stuck in a shitstack. No updates are installing anymore, they all end up rolling back. Please tell me if i can fix this clusterfuck, or i should call it quits and reformat, while cursing the most vulgar obscenities known to mankind to BC Wapda :@ :@ :@ :@

System restore to a previous point if available…

And seriously guys, get the latest iso which already has this thing integrated.

Why u guys so afraid of torrents?

Download the file and check SHA-1 tag with winhasher, and match the tag to the file given on MSDN. If it matches, it’s untouched and legit.

Windows 8

Windows 8

Windows 8

Windows 8Windows 8

Windows 8

Windows 8

Windows 8

COMBO BREAKER....!!!!!

Anti virus

@OP

Windows 8 :D

[quote=“gull_s_777, post:371, topic:17693”]

System restore to a previous point if available...

And seriously guys, get the latest iso which already has this thing integrated.

Why u guys so afraid of torrents?

Download the file and check SHA-1 tag with winhasher, and match the tag to the file given on MSDN. If it matches, it's untouched and legit.

[/quote]

Nevermind, I fixed the problem by manually downloading the update from Microsoft's site. It installed just fine. So I'm set [for now].

Is there anyway to bypass the NXT requirement for Windows 8....

Wonder if my old old dell P4 desktop could run windows 8

[quote=“najamcu, post:374, topic:17693”]

Is there anyway to bypass the NXT requirement for Windows 8....

Wonder if my old old dell P4 desktop could run windows 8

[/quote]

what's NXT?

You'll have to just go ahead and try to install it.

Don't format your C drive and install it on some other partition as dual boot. That should do the job.

Also on old P4 system with limited RAM, stick to 32 bit. And it's 8.1 i believe you are talking about, 8 is a dead horse.. no point installing it. Just get a 32 bit 8.1 ISO and take it from there.

NXt = Impact >> ROH>>>>> Raw.

[quote=“Asad, post:363, topic:17693”]

[/quote]

+1 for Windows Defender.

Defender + Microsoft EMET + Malware bytes.

8.1 keep loosing icons thumbnail cache every other day.

Annoying when you have huge size video/pics folders, and windows is recreating all the thumbnails again and again.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having thumbnail cache in first place.

anybody else having this issue?