The Windows 8 thread

Disable the "status bar" option in "OldNewExplorer", and it'll become exactly like Windows 7. That "6 Items" status is an eyesore :P

Didn’t notice it till you told. :D

I'm a ninja :ph34r:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8.1's time on my laptop was also short lived. It appears that the retarded networking in Windows 8.1 has been nothing but a complete pain in the ass for access shared drives & printers on a wireless network. I'm using 5 different laptops all running different versions of windows (two XP, two 7, one vista), and every one of them can access the shared printer & drive by giving login credentials of the administrator account and voila. This piece of #$%# doesn't even give me that, but rather keeps throwing error after error about not having sufficient access privileges, despite the fact that I've granted "Everyone" full access control on the drive as long as they provide username/password.

I've wasted nearly 2 nights trying to figure out just wtf is up with it. I've tried;

1. Disabling firewall

2. Disabling Guest account

3. Disabling Password Protected Sharing

4. Tried every other network related setting on Microsoft answers

None of them have worked. I've tried accessing directly via IP address as well, that didn't work either. I can ping the ip address just fine, but access is denied regardless of any setting I've done on the main PC where the drive is shared.

Microsoft manages to fook up networking aspects upon every new windows release, but this one takes the cake. They should take a cue from how their competitors do it. Networking on both Ubuntu & Mac is a breeze compared to this abomination.

/End rant :angry:

and that is why Windows 9 is coming before the 8.2 :)

Windows 8.1 stock explorer handling all your devices with "Group by Type" setting....

(most probably gonna be same in Windows 10)

2rr298j.jpg

After using "Oldnewexplorer" and bringing style back to 7 like....

30a9yio.jpg

Improved Copy/Move interface.

All your copy/move operations handled in one window. With nice graph added. Ability to pause and resume an operation is also there now.

For those who are much used to having system monitoring gadgets on desktop migh feel Windows 8.1 desktop a bit empty there. :)

Sure you can add old 7 gadgets to 8.1 too, but if looking for something fresh to go along with new windows, check out "Rainmeter"

^ it seems you have an HTC phone, you already have my respects :)

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:309, topic:17693”]

^ it seems you have an HTC phone, you already have my respects :)

[/quote]

My last three phones...

Now some 8.1 vs 7 points... :)

Hard disk: 8.1 uses about 15GB less space than 7 (installation+ full windows updates applied on both)

Edit: 8.1 makes much smaller pagefile, thus appears to be using less space. Else both occupy almost same space on C drive.

RAM: Found 8.1 using about 0.5GB less RAM than 7 in any given situation.

Processor: This is where things get tricky. 8.1 seems to be using more CPU cycles than 7. My laptop fan is louder now and plam rest is clearly warmer than before.

A specific scenario is using Jetaudio for hd movies, CPU usage seems on higher side and when fast scrolling through movie, it almost feels like i have moved from i7 to i5 laptop.

Kinda annoying and windows 8 with its 8.1+another year of updates somewhat fails to match fluid and effortless feel of 7.

I've switched to 8.1 fully on my gaming PC. I did lot of research regarding my previous issues I had encountered earlier during July, most of them had to do with fauly/ cracked software not working properly. I got myself an untouched ISO and activated it via KMS. Bought startisback 1PC license which I used to activate for my PC, and now everything's a smooth sailing.

I am also using untouched iso and kms activation.

May be it's the routine dust build up in heatsink making me think that 8.1 is processor hungry. :) I'll try blowing it out.

After all 8.1 is supposed to be less demanding than 7 if anything.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

As i just posted that 8.1 is lighter in size and takes up almost 15GB less than 7.

Well "Ghantaa" :)

I was just checking and found this out.

My system has 16GB RAM and with this much RAM, i don't need to use pagefile memory but i never tried to disable it as some softwares need it enabled anyway.

Now what actually happens that windows 7 goes on creating full 16GB pagefile blindly, but 8.1 acts smart about it and creates only 3GB pagefile... hence at first glance appeared to be occupying less space than 7. :D

So sorry folks. 8.1 is not leaner than 7. Both occupy almost same space.

^ if you let windows 7 smart manage its page drive, it is also 3gb in size.. even without smart manage, my fresh install of win 7 is always around 2-3gb page file and 4-5gb hibersys file which is annoying AF.. and have to disable it manually.

Have you tried Windows 9 yet?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:314, topic:17693”]

^ if you let windows 7 smart manage its page drive, it is also 3gb in size.. even without smart manage, my fresh install of win 7 is always around 2-3gb page file and 4-5gb hibersys file which is annoying AF.. and have to disable it manually.

[/quote]

And how much RAM in your PC?

What exactly do you mean by smart manage? I leave it on stock "automatic" settings and it creates 16GB on its own without touching any settings. :)

hiberfil.sys is another thing. Both windows 7 and 8.1 create 12GB hiberfil on my system. But i never use hiberantion so i disable it completely which removes the hibernation option and delete the file as well.

[quote=“armada, post:315, topic:17693”]

Have you tried Windows 9 yet?

[/quote]

You mean windows 10.

Yup i have tried its preview and it is all 8.1 like. Just that metro screen is replaced by metro menu now. And bing search is integrated to windows now...

[quote=“gull_s_777, post:316, topic:17693”]

And how much RAM in your PC?

What exactly do you mean by smart manage? I leave it on stock "automatic" settings and it creates 16GB on its own without touching any settings. :)

hiberfil.sys is another thing. Both windows 7 and 8.1 create 12GB hiberfil on my system. But i never use hiberantion so i disable it completely which removes the hibernation option and delete the file as well.

[/quote]

8Gb.. only 500-800 default increase came when i upgraded from 4gb to gb and new windows install..

smart meant system managed..

i have moved my page file from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD) so as to rid of SSD writes and also reduced it by limiting it 1024MB min/max.. the default windows recommended size is 12.1Gb LOL :D

i also delete hiberfil file.. but it should be disable-able in system settings.. proper disable requires comand prompt..and it should be off by default on desktops..

hopfully 10 will eliminate all these useful space hoggers.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:318, topic:17693”]

i have moved my page file from C: (SSD) to D: (HDD) so as to rid of SSD writes and also reduced it by limiting it 1024MB min/max.. the default windows recommended size is 12.1Gb LOL :D

i also delete hiberfil file.. but it should be disable-able in system settings.. proper disable requires comand prompt..and it should be off by default on desktops..

hopfully 10 will eliminate all these useful space hoggers.

[/quote]

well mine recommended is 24.5GB :)

for hiberfil file, i use a registry file to do all the work for me (got from sevenforums). Just run it once and restart. hibernation disables and hiberfil gone and never comes back.

Windows 8.1 Update(3) Official ISO are up now. Include all the updates till Nov 2014. :)

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-releases-windows-81-isos-november-rollup-update-3-included

Even 8.1 had about 100 updates now after a fresh install. Updated ISO should have most of them already integrated.

While Windows 8 is enjoying microsoft love, Windows 7 is left alone with updates around 200 now.

And It requires significant time and resources to bring it up to date after a fresh install.