The Windows 8 thread

[quote=“armada, post:277, topic:17693”]

No I'm kidding, i looked up everywhere no way i can get genuine Windows 8 back /with factory settings, now i think i have to go with pirated, so guide me how to get one i need clean with no modification at all plus it updates like genuine, it'll be very helpful

[/quote]

I know it is past now and cannot be undone but for future, your own reference and others, it is possible to save the genuine license of Windows for later restore. I am talking about saving the license itself only, which can be used on same Windows later on if required by restoring the license alone. I still have my Vista license backed up with me ;).

As I said i installed Windows 7 in excitement of new laptop, I should have made recovery disc even a pre-installed acer recovery program was installed too :(

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:273, topic:17693”]

GENERAL NOTE:

Upsilon is by far the most helpful forum member here when it comes to internet issues and gaming solutions and torrents

Kudos to you man.. you always help everyone in need :)

[/quote]

[quote="Upsilon, post:280, topic:17693"]

^ You got it. Check PM. Sent from my 4G calculator using Tapatalk

[/quote]

See? i was not wrong :)

thanks..!!!

So I've finally decided to grant 8.1 permission to grace my Desktop PC's hard drive. I still need to make some preparations and data backup to do before i make the plunge, but after using 8.1 for a few weeks on the laptop with startisback (I'm thinking of buying that app, since 5$ for a handy app makes the experience so much better), I guess I'm ready to make the jump at last.

Wish me luck :lol:

^ I've been using Win 8 with SIB since the very beginning, it really gets rid of some of the common Win 8 'issues' that bother some users. And yeah you should buy the app if you can, it's priced right and you'll get all the updates to the app so that's a worthy purchase as well.

Win 8 is better than 7 IMO, with a bit of tweaking at most. ;)

Argh, it seems Pakistan isn't in the list of supported country for buying <_<. What a major bummer. Can you send me a link for a more recent version please ?

[quote=“Upsilon, post:285, topic:17693”]

^ I've been using Win 8 with SIB since the very beginning, it really gets rid of some of the common Win 8 'issues' that bother some users. And yeah you should buy the app if you can, it's priced right and you'll get all the updates to the app so that's a worthy purchase as well.

Win 8 is better than 7 IMO, with a bit of tweaking at most. ;)

[/quote]

Red Alert 2 doesnot work :/

requires patches and compatibility settings..:(

hear many other games dont work either..?

[quote=“jDk, post:286, topic:17693”]

Argh, it seems Pakistan isn't in the list of supported country for buying <_<. What a major bummer. Can you send me a link for a more recent version please ?

[/quote]

Check PM!

[quote="farhan_ds, post:287, topic:17693"]

Red Alert 2 doesnot work :/

requires patches and compatibility settings.. :(

hear many other games dont work either..?

[/quote]

I mentioned already, some games require patches or tweaking in order to be played on Windows 8/8.1.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:288, topic:17693”]

Check PM!

[/quote]

Thanks mate. Cheers :D

EDIT: It seems I'm having that same dreaded mouse acceleration issue people reported earlier with 8.1. I'm using Logitech G400. So far, none of the fixes have worked :(

EDIT 2: Another thing I've noticed is a lot of "hitching" in hard drive activity during normal usage. So much in fact that I can literally hear the hard drives "grind" when i switch off the fans. This never happened ever on Windows 7 :huh:

Could it be Windows Defender, since it has a nasty habit of scanning all files when you open a folder with lots of executable programs (I've got a lot of apps downloaded on my hard drive for backup) ?? Or something else entirely ?

I haven't encountered any such issues on my end, though i should specify that i use a balanced 1200-1500 dpi mouse (higher DPI annoys me) & am also using Eset (thus Windows Defender is turned off).

I've found the root cause. My WD Black is dying :(

It recently developed bad sectors without me even knowing about it. Its not serious atm, but the trasnfer rates have been slowly dropping. I think its time for a new hard drive. Wasn't really impressed with this WD black when i originally got it back in 2009, and am sure as hell ain't gonna waste my money getting this one again. Going for a 1TB Seagate hard drive, as that fits within my budget and will serve my purpose perfectly.

the new STDM 2000 series Seagates are excellenta nd super fast drives.. i get peak burst transfer rates of upto 285-310 MBPS,, and trickle down to minimum 110 MBPS....

they are blazing fast and 7200rpm for a much much less price than WD crapgreens.

Upsilon bro, can you send me link to tested and verified working windows 8.1 update 1? My windows 8.1 was working till yesterday but now it has started showing activate windows message.

kindly send me link in email.

Thanks.

^ Check PM!

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:292, topic:17693”]

the new STDM 2000 series Seagates are excellenta nd super fast drives.. i get peak burst transfer rates of upto 285-310 MBPS,, and trickle down to minimum 110 MBPS....

they are blazing fast and 7200rpm for a much much less price than WD crapgreens.

[/quote]

I still have the old SATA 2 Gen board, so I get nowhere near that unfortunately <_<

Time draws near for a new PC build :(

Sata2 wont make any difference.. sata 2 can support 300 rate.. and thats burst speed.. after 3-4 sec, it will drop to 100-150.. so in any case you have nothing to worry abt..

i did all that between sata2 and sata 3 boards in my last upgrade. only SSD gets any benefit.. other drives are same in performance..

NCQ helps though.

So after having played around for a few weeks with windows 8 on both my laptop and main PC, I've decided to keep it on my laptop, but am going back on windows 7 on the desktop PC, reason being I've been having really weird issues with several programs crashing on their own without any prior reason, some of which are Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, MSI Afterburner, Battlefield 4, Nexus Mod Manager just to name a few. I usually keep Afterburner loaded with its overlay so I can keep any eye on GPU temp as well as the VRAM being utilized by any particular game, especially BF4. However, it appears that BF4 will simply not load with Afterburner loaded (which comes with 64 bit support and worked just fine in 7). Another issue that cropped up is on Nexus Mod Manager. Its a mod manager program which helps with installing mods and managing them easily. However, this program randomly crashes on 8.1 without any prior warning and especially when you're about to install the mod, which not only ends up corrupting the mod itself, but also the main game files as well. It has been an extremely infuriating experience trying to install mods on New Vegas, because it would randomly crash even on stock clocks.

Also, even with the new hard drive installed, I've barely felt a noticeable difference in boot & shutdown speeds, both on my laptop and desktop PC. People may have exaggerated the boot & shut down speeds a little bit, but I've certainly not experienced that blazing fast boot up sequence as many claimed. There are many other smaller quirks that I've noticed which added up to my list of annoyances. In short, 8.1 is definitely not meant for gaming smoothly if you plan to play your older games, so your best bet is to stick with 7 till MS straightens up its act and releases a gaming optimized OS which doesn't get in your way like 8/ 8.1 do <_<

I believe I gave it a thorough run through before giving my verdict, so I'd appreciate that you not bombard me with criticism simply because I didn't like it overall, despite my initial impressions being positive.

[quote=“jDk, post:297, topic:17693”]

I believe I gave it a thorough run through before giving my verdict, so I'd appreciate that you not bombard me with criticism simply because I didn't like it overall, despite my initial impressions being positive.

[/quote]

You noob, how dare you criticize Windows 8. It's the best operating system eveRRRR. You just don't know how to use it, that's all. You noob, go stick to Win 98...

:P /s

On a serious note, i like your verdict. Windows 7 is currently definitely somewhat better for diverse gaming than Windows 8/8.1, so yeah you're ok with sticking to 7 on your desktop.

Well I gave it a fair chance this time around instead of bitching about it :lol:, so yeah, I now have the right to officially !@#$% about 8/ 8.1 being #$%# for older games not playing nicely :(

As much as new Start screen is cursed, my main issue remained with how microsoft messed up a perfect desktop explorer like moving detail pane from bottom to right, removing perfect grouping of items in my computer, ribbon interface etc....

Found this software called "oldnewexplorer" which brings explorer back to windows 7 like state.

Seems to work perfectly fine.