The Windows 8 thread

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:219, topic:17693”]

^ most of use here on tech forums did avoid those updates, but a lot of people who didnt know, werent.. and many many had such problems for a long time.. till preactivated disks started showing up in the market place.

if microsoft were really stupid enough this time, they would try to implement some sort of tricks like those.... but then they would be really stupid.. cz Windows 8 / 8.1 both have been tremendous flops.. and majority has reverted back to original windows 7... this time it seems it has hit worse than vista..

lets wee what the new balmer replacement does for the windows platform soon.. :)

[/quote]

i keep the updates permanently off. And when service pack comes out, i just get updated iso with integrated service pack.

Have used a windows 7 installation for over a year and updates permanently off. Then i format the system to try 8.1 out :)

There may still be hope afterall :)

http://www.neowin.net/news/start-menu-may-return-with-windows-threshold-update

If do away with the Charms & Metro interface (make them optional if they must on desktop), while retaining the core improvements, then it might have a chance to become a resounding success like WIndows 7 did.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The latest bit of news, while unconfirmed and subject to change, is that Microsoft may be bringing back the full Start button experience. According to Paul Thurott, the next update to Windows (important to note that he has not confirmed the name ‘threshold”) will include the option to restore the Start menu to its full glory. This is an important change from what Windows 8.1 offers which is simply a button that only provides familiarity but little functionality.

Another feature that is reportedly coming will allow you to run Modern apps in windows on the desktop. This functionality is already available via third-party applications like ModernMix (disclaimer) but being natively built-in will likely appease everyone who uses Windows.Next.

These are small, but very important updates. Specifically, both of these ‘features’ have come from feedback of consumers. It’s clear that Microsoft is back-tracking a bit on its ambitious Windows 8 deployment after harsh feedback from consumers.

[/quote]

I'll share my experience with Windows 8 with you guys as soon as i receive my acer v5 touch..

Just curious, how much are you getting it for, and what are the specs?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

for 52K

Brand: Acer

pre-installed with Windows 8 (64 Bit) genuine

Intel Core i3, 1.80 GHz

Screen Size: 14" HD Multi Touch LED

4 GB RAM

Hard Drive Size 500GB

Optical Drive: 8X DVD Super Multi

Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics 4000

HD webcam

Backlit leypad

SD MMC card reader

So, You guys like the direction microsoft is heading???? :)

Office 2013 (Dark Gray Theme) on Windows 8.1

Office 2010 (Black Theme) on Windows 7

^ Yuck... on win8 it looks like puke... atleast it has a color in 2010 .. and is bearable in win 7...

I guess they are going back to 70's the black and white era.

Perfectly happy with 2010 on W7. MS can go build tiles for kids, tablo-fags as much as they want :rolleyes:

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:227, topic:17693”]

^ Yuck... on win8 it looks like puke... atleast it has a color in 2010 .. and is bearable in win 7...

[/quote]

I think the theme chosen here was grey scale, it could be more colorful with other themes. I have installed Office 2013 PP and it is a pleasure to work in. The new interface is awesome (may be same as 2010 as I skipped that one altogether) with cool animation effects in excel, and with newer awesome tools, it has become more powerful than ever. I think Office development team is heading in the right direction.

my acer pc held at customs asking the double price to release it

ordered another one this time toshiba satellite

^ What if it gets held at customs as well? I'd suggest to get services of a clearing agent to help you clear your stuff. Or next time, ask a friend/ relative/ anyone coming from abroad to bring it with them for you. Customs walay are a pain in the ass to deal with and have absolutely no clue about the law themselves.

[quote=“unikorn, post:230, topic:17693”]

I think the theme chosen here was grey scale, it could be more colorful with other themes.

[/quote]

Theme on Office 2013 is "Dark Gray". It's the most colourful one. :)

Other choices are Light Gray and White which are even whiter. No other choices.

Light Gray Theme

White Theme

[quote=“unikorn, post:230, topic:17693”]

I think the theme chosen here was grey scale, it could be more colorful with other themes. I have installed Office 2013 PP and it is a pleasure to work in. The new interface is awesome (may be same as 2010 as I skipped that one altogether) with cool animation effects in excel, and with newer awesome tools, it has become more powerful than ever. I think Office development team is heading in the right direction.

[/quote]

as seen from Gull`s pics above, Microsoft is going for the classic Charlie Chaplin theme.. :P.. and just imagine a word or excel sheet on a projector in even a low light room with white theme. somebody would be getting fired that day in office :D

Yup, can't deny the fact that office 2013 being newer version might be offering a tad more features, but what was microsoft thinking with those themes.

Even with Dark Gray theme, it's too bright and whitish. A pain to the eyes.

I don't know what did they gain by removing the good old Black theme.

maybe there would be some custom themes available ?

also, since there is no aero, isnt there any built in windows theme which has effect on the office as well? has anybody tried changing windows themes?.

^^^^ theme changing has no effect on office

^Well this sucks big time..

Glad to be happy with office 2007 :)

Windows 8 supports connected standby. This is a hardware based provision. It means that even if screen is turned off, desktop applications are suspended. Only metro UI apps continue to work. Keep this in mind when buying a windows 8 tablet. I dont know whether the same happens in case of desktops and laptops. Anybody with clarification?

Microsoft seems desperate to sell some windows 8 copies. As after "8.1" update, another huge update named "8.1 Update 1" is out also :D

They keep trying to make their start screen/apps more and more mouse friendly but i still don't see why one would need these apps on desktop...