The Windows 8 thread

i am thinking, windows 7 will have to extend its shelf life even more than XP did.. :)

Yeah, if microsoft doesn't pull its head out of its ass, then 7 will become the new XP 2.0 :)

Dat 7 be awesome tho...!!!

I actually kinda like windows 8, and saw that 8.1 addresses some of the grievances (for many) and introduces a few improvements here and there (I used the public beta). There's one thing you need to remember in order to get used to W8 really, really quickly: the four corners of the screen now serve a purpose. Right click or left click them, and you'll open more menus. If you forget them, then you won't remember anything.

Frankly, I liked it. Sure, it takes a little getting used to, but its not obnoxious. People who resist change will obviously beg to differ.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

[quote=“shaheerk, post:184, topic:17693”]

I actually kinda like windows 8, and saw that 8.1 addresses some of the grievances (for many) and introduces a few improvements here and there (I used the public beta). There's one thing you need to remember in order to get used to W8 really, really quickly: the four corners of the screen now serve a purpose. Right click or left click them, and you'll open more menus. If you forget them, then you won't remember anything.

Frankly, I liked it. Sure, it takes a little getting used to, but its not obnoxious. People who resist change will obviously beg to differ.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

[/quote]

Same here. In the beginning, i really disliked Win 8. But now i quite like it & very much prefer it over Win 7. My only big gripe was with metro & the lack of a classic start menu, but thanks to Startisback, everything gets just right.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

[/quote]

The golden saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

They should've just stuck with Metro exclusively for tablets. I honestly see no purpose or advantage it offers over desktop programs whatsoever. Multitasking takes a back seat on Metro, which in my opinion is a step backward rather than forward.

Its not really about like or dislike. Same is the case with resist to change. If the change is positive, there's no point in resisting it, but if the change you see is actually negative, then by all means resist it and voice your concern. I'll voice my protest by sticking with Windows 7, period. Not that I bought one anyways :P

So I've been playing the BF4 beta lately and it seems that game utilizes the features provided by Windows 8 rather extensively, as the OS was recommended by DiCE themselves. I've read on numerous forums that the performance improvements provided by 8 over 7 is approximately close to 20%+, not to mention the stutter-free smooth gameplay, which I'm having a hard time on Windows 7. Having no love for the OS itself and not willing to shift exclusively for the sake of a beta, I'm willing to give 8.1 a try to see if it actually provides better or not. What I need is the final RTM release (if there's one floating around on the internet with clean files). Any pointers in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

I absolutely abhor the Start Screen & Charms, so any tutorial for disabling those and booting straight to desktop would be welcome too.

^ Windows 8.1 can't be hacktivated yet. So you can only use it for a month. I suggest you to install Windows 8 + StartIsBack + Windows Updates. It would be pretty close to Win 8.1 (and believe me, it would look and feel just like an enhanced Win 7)

Check your PM for links to download said stuff.

WOuldn't it be possible to use windows 8 keys with 8.1 ? Since its pretty much an upgrade over it. Thanks for the links provided, though I'm more inclined towards giving 8.1 a go, because I tried windows 8 a while back and i wasn't impressed with it to be honest <_<

This guy is so damn spot on about all the negatives I've come to loathe about both Windows 8 & 8.1. I've decided to simply skip both. Not gonna bother and waste my time installing it.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Windows81_1.html

Windows 8.1 update is now available to download

Today's the day: October 17th, the day Microsoft starts rolling out Windows 8.1. And right now, the minute this post first went live, is 7AM ET, the exact minute the OS update will start appearing in the Windows Store as a free download. Don't have a Windows 8 device? You can still install 8.1 on a Win 7 machine; you just won't get the update for free. For folks using Windows 7, you'll pay the same price Microsoft was already charging for Windows 8: $120 for the standard version, and $200 for Windows 8.1 Pro. Additionally, Microsoft will also be selling so-called full-version software, allowing you to install the OS on a machine that isn't already running Windows. At any rate, if you've already got a Windows 8 device in hand, we suggest you hit up the source link below to take advantage of the free download. Or, if you're a weirdo, you can also buy a boxed copy in a retail store. We won't judge. Either way, you're going to want to revisit our epic preview breaking down everything you need to know about the new features and apps that come with 8.1.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-now-available-to-download/

[/quote]

Let's hope the magic hacktivator finally appears now. ;)

Downloading from Store takes a little longer than usual to get 3.5GB+ data. The one thing I noticed is that they tweaked the icons for different apps and its a little more fluid (for now).

935989_475677052540548_1049655705_n.jpg

tried windows 8 didn't like it back on windows 7 and lovin' it

I can't get it to update since I am running Windows 8 Enterprise provided by my office and upgrade through Store is not available for enterprise versions. :(

Oh btw. Some really sweet Windows 8.1 based tablets are gonna be released this holiday season. As of today Dell has launched Dell Venue Pro 8 and Dell Venue Pro 11. They are available for delivery on October 25th:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/campaigns/dell-venue-tablets-dhs-us?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Dell Venue Pro 8:

8 inch, Quad Core Atom, 1366 x 768, 32GB internal memory, $299

Dell Venue Pro 11 (Launches in November):

10.8 inch, Quad Core Atom, 1920 x 1080, 32GB or 64GB, $500

Can we get back to Windows 8 from Windows 8.1 in case 8.1 isn't working fine ? Last time I installed 8.1 preview, some apps like Flight Simulator X did not work. I had to do a fresh Windows 8 install to get back. But that was preview. What about now ?

And last thing.....Windows 8 is awesome. Haters gonna hate :P

[quote=“rnathbatra, post:195, topic:17693”]

Oh btw. Some really sweet Windows 8.1 based tablets are gonna be released this holiday season. As of today Dell has launched Dell Venue Pro 8 and Dell Venue Pro 11. They are available for delivery on October 25th:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/campaigns/dell-venue-tablets-dhs-us?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Dell Venue Pro 8:

8 inch, Quad Core Atom, 1366 x 768, 32GB internal memory, $299

Dell Venue Pro 11 (Launches in November):

10.8 inch, Quad Core Atom, 1920 x 1080, 32GB or 64GB, $500

[/quote]

tablets are flop man for full blown DESKTOP OS no matter how lean they make it for tablets still its gonna consume more battery, untill the battery life is extended and size decreased which would be 3 to 4 years away. i tell you untill then android or ios based low power tablets will rule.

Been trying Win 8.1 since about 2 days now (the MSDN original release). I like the Skype and SkyDrive integration. The improved UI customization is also appreciated. But that's about it, other differences are minimal (the metro stuff is also improved, but since i don't use it, it doesn't matter to me).

Can't get it to activate though (with the token activation method). I guess I'm gonna have to hope and wait for an activator to arrive soon otherwise It'll start bugging me after a month.

I tried it on my laptop last night. And my impression:

Formatted it after using it for an hour. Never again am I touching this abomination of an OS.

[/quote]

windows 8.1 already lunch but mocrosoft remove from his official update site becuase lots of problem were reported by users,,