The Must-read Books?

The ever intersting and the book u liked the most????share your collection of some good books!!!!

english or urdu..novels,drama,plays whatever but having splendid stuff!!!!

Books by Tolkien. If you're into sci-fi, I really liked Ben Bova.

Recently read and loved:

1) IT by Stephen King

2) Husband and Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

3) The Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy by Douglas Adams

4) The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham

Imran series by Mazhar Kaleem

Inspector Jamshaid by Ishtiaq Ahmad

:P

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

[/quote]

LOL I used to read those when I was 8 :lol:

i will say go and buy some books of umro ayar :)

WOWWW..!!

I tell u myself..

>>>Pardise Lost-John Milton

>>The Hunchback Of Notre Dam-Victor Hugo

>>Gone With The Wind-Margret Mitchell

>>An Outcast Of the Islands-Joseph Conrad

I suggest all of you to read PARADISE LOST...

It is a fantastic book explaining in detail the ADAM-EVE story and the character of SATAN is marvellous!!!it is somewhat difficult but splendid!!!

Some must read books: http://ko.offroadpakistan.com/2007/08/books-everyone-should-read.html

Anything by Paulo Coelho, Specially "eleven minutes". Its a must read

To kill a mockingbird. Highly recommended.

harry potter ( everlasting )

All books by - Dan Brown -

search on torrents........

PAULO COELHO's only good book is THE ALCHEMIST..others are sort of run-of-the-mill stuff...

i dont like fiction so dont dan brown too...but for fiction,he has no parallel!!!

Fiction

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy

Compelling Evidence by Steve Martini

Runaway Jury by John Grisham

Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Cold Pursuit by Jefferson Parker

The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen

Airport by Arthur Hailey

1942 by George Orwell

Non-Fiction

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey

The Secret by Rhonda Byrne

The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict by Joseph E. Stiglitz

I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert

The World Is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman

[/quote]

ditto x 10^99

Nostalgia

i used to spend half of my time in 9th and 10th grade lectures, reading imran series…

was fun.

a few other of my friend, we had this competition, who reads the most imran series novel available in the local library :P

damn, it was fun … reading imran series sitting on the back benches, while the urdu ma’am were busy in delivering boring lectures on urdu poets.

^ Gaaah.... You remind me of my foolishness when I spent over PKR5000 on buying these novels over 2-3 years. When I stopped buying and sold all my novels to an old book shop, the dollar was around PKR35-40.

I still feel sad that I wasn't able to get a copy of Haikal-e-Sulaimani. I read it only once. :(

i guess read that one, but cant remind the story.

all of Mazhar Kaleem's novels related to 'magical/spiritual' topics were great.

i wonder if he still writes those. Last time i read one of his novels, ppl sending their condolences over the death of his son. so no heir after him i guess.

hey Asad, have you read M.A. Rahat's imran series novels? they were ok also, although not a good as Mazhar Kaleem's.

P.S. and about the foolishness, well it was a fun time. Although the time and money wasted on such things cant be reversed.

hey Asad, have you read M.A. Rahat’s imran series novels? they were ok also, although not a good as Mazhar Kaleem’s.

P.S. and about the foolishness, well it was a fun time. Although the time and money wasted on such things cant be reversed.

[/quote]

Yeah, I read a couple of M. A. Rahat’s novels too. Too bad that it didn’t had that chemistry between characters. The Imran-Julia-Tanveer triangle is fun to read about in Mazhar Kaleem’s novels.

And the enjoyment from reading those novels was well worth the money, IMO. Too bad that Islamabad lacks a good library.

And the enjoyment from reading those novels was well worth the money, IMO. Too bad that Islamabad lacks a good library.
[/quote]

There’s ought to be a lot of small libraries in Isloo. Most of those have such novels. just need to search a bit. in pindi, smaller libraries have lots of such books. Though in today’s busy life, its sooo tough to take out time for extra reading. I issued Qudrat Ullah Shahab’s “MaaN Ji” from uni’s library last week, and i’ve hardly read 30-40 pages in chunks.

I still wonder about the copyrights of Imran Series.

Ibn-e-Safi was the creator of the series and after him both Mazhar and M.A. Rahat twisted and turned the series. did they get the permission from Ibn-e-safi or the publishers or what?

Oh and those looking for must reads must read اردو کے بھترین افسانے

which are available from kitaabghar.com (not sure about spellings of site)

who was your favorite character in Imran series other than Imran? Mine was Suleman after all he was X2, and don't forget swiss miss Juliana Fitnerwater.

who was your favorite character in Imran series other than Imran?
[/quote]

Captain Shakeel. Insightful man, that. I also liked how Imran dealt with Superintendent Fiaz but he hasn’t been present in recent books.

Mine was Suleman after all he was X2, and don’t forget swiss miss Juliana Fitnerwater.
[/quote]

:lol:

LOL I used to read those when I was 8 :lol:

[/quote]

Haha … same here :D. Those novels were imported from Pakistan in UAE. I have stopped reading novels since I turned 11 though. How do you guys make time for reading novels :o ?