The Imagine Cup

Leading Universities combat in Microsoft's Imagine Cup 2009

Imagine Cup - Pakistan Finals

The Imagine Cup is a global student technology competition focused on finding solutions to the real-world issues. Recently, the leading universities of Pakistan competed in the national finals for the Imagine Cup in Karachi. The competition encourages the world's most talented software designers, programmers, game developers, photographers and filmmakers to "Imagine a world where technology helps solve the toughest problems facing us today."

The winning team was from the University of Engineering & Technology Lahore, and will be sent on an all-expense paid trip to Cairo to compete in the worldwide finals of Imagine Cup 2009. The winners for the local finals of the Imagine Cup and the qualifiers of Innovation Accelerator program were announced at the Microsoft Innovation Center located at FAST National University, Karachi campus.

The winning team was from the University of Engineering & Technology Lahore

Besides the winning team of Imagine Cup, the top 3 teams were also shortlisted to participate in the Innovation Accelerator program. The main idea behind the Innovation Accelerator program is to promote innovation in the field of Information & Communication Technology (ICT) in Pakistan. The 3 shortlisted student teams will go through a rigorous training process and will then be provided with continuous mentoring to transform their winning product designs into 3 start-up software businesses. To achieve this goal, the shortlisted candidates will receive technical and business trainings on creativity and innovation, reviewing market opportunities, entrepreneurial leadership, software business management and forging business alliances.

"The Imagine Cup provides a forum for students around the world to explore new ways to use the power of software to help address some of the world's toughest challenges," said Naveed Bajwa, Developer & Platform Group Manager, Microsoft Pakistan. "The high calibre of the students and their projects is evidence of the high level of innovation among the Pakistani students today, with a clear potential for real-world impact."

Jehan Ara, President Pakistan Software Houses Association, addressed the audience: "Today's most pressing issues of social and economic development require more than traditional thinking. Microsoft's Imagine Cup not only allows the youth to implement creative out-of-the-box approaches to problem solving, but also develops a sense of commitment to help the most vulnerable in society with the most innovative, appropriate solutions and technologies at our disposal."

Dr. Qasim Sheikh, CEO National ICT R&D Fund, who was also present at the occasion, commented, "While Imagine Cup inspires new generation of technology leaders to make a difference in the world; the Innovation Accelerator program combines technical skills of students with practical know-how to create business plans, attract investors and launch a successful product. It equips them with a powerful tool to launch themselves in professional lives and enables them to evolve as future entrepreneurs."

The esteemed judges included executives from P@SHA, National ICT R&D Fund, Mixit, NUST Institute of IT and senior IT experts from the industry. More than 100 students and faculty members from different universities were present at the ceremony to witness the showcased solutions.

The final showdown of Imagine Cup 2009 will be held in Cairo and Alexandria where students will be asked to create software solutions that are aligned to one of the UNDP's Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The eight MDGs range from halving extreme poverty and halting the spread of HIV/AIDS to providing universal primary education.

provided by microsoft

Old news...

Imagine Cup happens every year. It brings back some memories from uni life.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Old news…

Imagine Cup happens every year. It brings back some memories from uni life.

[/quote]

Were u a student of computer engineering?

The final showdown of Imagine Cup 2009 will be held in Cairo and Alexandria where students will be asked to create software solutions that are aligned to one of the UNDP’s Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The eight MDGs range from halving extreme poverty and halting the spread of HIV/AIDS to providing universal primary education.
[/quote]

Please try to put the sources where you get the content or news from. I miss them in most of your posts. and look for the published date on the article

It has been awarded that you think is gonna be yet.

Imagine Cup 2009 Cairo, Egypt winners. http://imaginecup.com/Support/exploreimaginecup.aspx (the history)

announced on July 7, 2009 in Cairo, Egypt!

Imagine Cup 2009 - Closing Ceremony.

Imagine Cup 2010 - Poland. http://imaginecup.com/ (registerations open)

Got this via email from Microsoft Pakistan two days ago.

@bellskar

Look at bottom.

Yes you are right I do sometimes neglect to put the links, but thats only cuz I don't really think anyone would go there after I have provided the entire story.

Were u a student of computer engineering?

[/quote]

Sorta… I was Microsoft’s student representative (a.k.a. Microsoft Student Partner) on the uni campus. One of my tasks there was to form and organize teams for the imagine cup competition each year. The winning team got the chance to compete in the local/countrywide finals.

Yes you are right I do sometimes neglect to put the links, but thats only cuz I don’t really think anyone would go there after I have provided the entire story.
[/quote]

even if you dont think but that’s a responsibilty of any forum poster to provide the URLs to the original content. this helps copyright privacy of the content and also a visitor can verify the source.

I hope it makes some sense :)