I am planning to buy a generator for my home. A friend of mine is also asking me to help him in selecting a generator. As my information regarding is limited and stale, that's why I am trying to read and learn as much as possible from this thread.
So far, I have decided that a 2.2kva to 3.0kva would be quite enough.
Expected regular load:
1) Just planning to run few (4 to 6) energy savers of 8 to 11 watts
2) One or two ceiling fans.
3) TV (I hardly watch TV but it could be expected from other family members)
Occasional load (inclusive of each other, when one time is used then other item won't used):
1) Microwave (1200watts)
2) Washing machine
3) More lights (all are energy savers of 5, 8, 11 watts) and one or two more fans (rarely)
4) Refrigerator (if transformer broke down or don't get electricity for more than 12 to 24 hours).
I have no plan to run AC on generator. However, I do want a generator with self-start (button or key). Moreover, I am currently not planning for ATS (automatic start), however, there should be an option to install ATS in future. I am also thinking of natural gas-kit.
That's what I have outlined so far. I'll be visiting Metro and City Saddar Road to gather up information about generators that are currently available in market.
Please pardon me for asking some stupid questions as my knowledge about generator is very limited. Anyone who can share his knowledge, I'll be very thankful.
1) Which is better diesel or petrol generator. And why?
2) Can I put Natural Gas Kit on either diesel or petrol generator or is it only available for petrol generators?
3) If I buy from Metro then any guarantee that comes with it, will it be of any worth?
4) I heard that for proper guarantee and after-sale-service, the company's person need to do first-time starting of generator (and check/inspect things etc.)
5) My home is wired with 3-phase electricity. Can a good electrician work it out to make generator output spread over all three-phase or do I have to convert my 3-phase to single-phase from WAPDA?
6) As I wrote above that I am planning to have self-start (button or key) generator, that means there will be change-over-switch. Does any change-over-switch comes for 3-phase (with single phase from generator)? (Yeah, I know that's a silly question) (By the way, I have used change-over-switch but for single-phase).
7) Will it effect the performance (or life) of generator if I put muffler on the exhaust of the generator? What kind of muffler will be good enough, car or motorcycle?
I have, so far, no idea which brand name or Chinese brand is good. I only know that Honda is a good reputable name but I guess now it is also manufacture in China. I have nothing against China as long as it works. So far, by reading this, I learned that Kipor (some Chinese brand) is being sold by its brand and by many other companies under their brand. And the reputation is not that good.
Beside that, please feel free to give me any tips and tricks. I welcome all of your advices. Thanks in advance.