The future of Lumia Phones in Pakistan

One understands that the sale of Lumia phones -- globally as well as in Pakistan -- has not been up to mark. But I, for one, really like the Windows Mobile OS platform -- despite the hue and cry about its smaller app store. This is mainly because of its responsiveness and performance. Over the last four years or so, I have used some good Nokia and Microsoft Lumia mobile phones and my experience has always ranged between pleasant and very pleasant. And I intend to purchase the Lumia 650 when it arrives here in Pakistan.

Having said that, the quality of customer service at the official sales centres was always nothing great to write home about. We were "dealt" by staff who were often clueless and, sadly, acted aloof and arrogantly even when sincere queries were made. A number of phone sets were not made available ("ranged") at all in Pakistan, or they were introduced at such a late stage in that phone's life cycle that many people lost interest. Many of has wanted this or that original accessory which never arrived in Pakistan. Yes, some of us resorted to getting phone sets and accessories from the Middle East. For several reasons, the Lumia sets never had a good resale value, and some shopkeepers avoided the used sets as the plague. After they slashed prices recently, the resale price has further gone down.

With the transition from Nokia to Microsoft, things got from bad to worse here. Quite recently, the procedure for obtaining after sales service centre for warranty claims, repairs, etc. has been changed. Now they collect -- after several calls, further calls, followup calls, and begging -- the sets from customer's home which is then sent to Lahore for repair and warranty processing. One is not sure if this is the beginning of the end? Is this the sign that they are gradually going to wind up their operations in Pakistan? How do fellow WPers see the future of Lumia phones in Pakistan?

It seems that even WPers are not interested in Lumia :-(

yes no one is since WP is Failed , MS Must Shut This project now :P

What do you say Upsilon and farhan_ds?

I am not responding here, as the OTHER person usually posts here ONLY to crap over everyone else s opinion.. so ...avoiding..hope you understand, as history speaks for itself..

RdEVpIc.jpg

^ The summers are here. Whoever's losing their sh*t should take a glass of that & chill. ;)

-----

@tsahar Well, based on the very little progress Windows Phones have made thus far (in terms of userbase)... I'd say the future isn't very bright for the platform. The userbase is likely to improve over the years (mainly thanks to WM10), but i don't see it becoming competitive or comparative to the other giants.

Thank you, farhan_ds and Upsilon. I have learned a lot from both of you through your postings on this forum, and whether I agree with you or not I value your opinion as it helps me revisit (or sharpen) my point of view. Life is short -- and I am myself trying to be less aggressive and sarcastic as it suppresses the content.

I used a Lumia phone for about 3 years. The OS experience was great, the hardware was glitchy. Took to nokia care 3 times. In my opinion Microsoft killed the wonderful OS by not responding proactively to user demand. In today's world, developers have to keep ears open for customer feedback to roll out good OS. Not paying enough attention to their needs means you are out of market. Moreover, they have not rolled out many handsets lately. Since Windows 10 launch, we have only seen Lumia 950,950XL (which are high end phones) and Lumia 550, which is too mediocre considering other options you have for this range. This is not the way to grab market Microsoft. Although Microsoft's low end phones dont work #$%# like low end Androids. Its butter smooth in use whether its a 950 or 550.

@EngineBlock: I totally agree with you re Microsoft's lack of responsiveness to the customer feedback.

In addition to betting on the forthcoming Lumia 650, I am hoping that, like Acer and HP, other well-known brands will start rolling out Windows 10 mobile phones which might change the fate of this OS.

[quote=“tsahar, post:9, topic:22567”]

@EngineBlock: I totally agree with you re Microsoft’s lack of responsiveness to the customer feedback.

In addition to betting on the forthcoming Lumia 650, I am hoping that, like Acer and HP, other well-known brands will start rolling out Windows 10 mobile phones which might change the fate of this OS.

[/quote]

That’s the issue here. Microsoft should let other phone manufacturers create devices that can run Microsoft OS. So far we have only seen 1-2 phones from HTC and Samsung Ativ, other than Nokia/Microsoft

[quote=“EngineBlock, post:10, topic:22567”]

That’s the issue here. Microsoft should let other phone manufacturers create devices that can run Microsoft OS. So far we have only seen 1-2 phones from HTC and Samsung Ativ, other than Nokia/Microsoft

[/quote]

You are absolutely right that well known brands are not embracing the Windows mobile platform. In addition to the ones listed by you, we only have Acer, Blu, HP, and Huawei among the well known brands who have launched/announced mobile phones that run Windows Phone 8.x or Windows 10. In all, there are only 92 phone sets:

http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sOSes=4&sOSversions=4800,4810,4900