The Flagship Phones Thread

^ Nuff said.. +1

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

<h1 style=“margin:0px;padding:0px 5px;border:0px;font-size:40px;line-height:1.5;font-family:‘Google-Oswald’, Arimo, Arial, sans-serif;vertical-align:baseline;color:rgb(255,255,255);background:url(“http://st.gsmarena.com/vv/assets8/i/pattern-diag-dark.gif");">Microsoft Lumia 950 XL: legendary camera reborn on the big screen

gsmarena_001.jpg

Peter, 06 October, 2015

Microsoft Windows 10

All through this year it felt like Microsoft has cooled off on having its own mobile OS, opting to release apps for Android and iOS instead, but now the passion is back. The Microsoft Lumia 950 XL comes to replace the two year old Lumia 1520 and to restore the PureView name to its former glory.

First things first. Gone is the 6” 1080p LCD, replaced by a 5.7” screen with QHD resolution, pitting the 950 XL against the flagship Androids. It’s an AMOLED unit with Glance screen.

The Lumia 950 XL namechecks Carl Zeiss and PureView and brings a new iteration of the 20MP sensor, this time with 2160p video out of the box. The camera’s two little helpers are 5th gen optical image stabilization (OIS) and a triple-LED flash. Those are RGB LEDs too, promising natural lighting for low-light shots.

The selfie camera was given attention too, the 5MP shooter is accompanied by its own LED flash.

The Lumia name was synonymous with excellent cameras, but Android and now Apple have caught up and the Lumia 950 XL’s camera does not have the lead the Lumia 1020 enjoyed.

While Microsoft adopted the new wired connector, it kept the Qi wireless charging (unlike the new Nexus phones). The 3,300mAh battery is has a bit extra in its tank compared to other flagship phablets to boot.

Windows 10 Mobile will stretch its legs on the roomy screen. At first glance the UI looks close to WP8, but Microsoft has done a lot to unify the software between Desktop and Mobile. Continuum is part of that – a desktop in your pocket, in part thanks to the USB Type-C connector, which handles triple duties (video out, data and charging). 50% battery charge takes just 30 minutes.

The OS will run on Snapdragon 810 chipset – four Cortex-A57 cores at 2GHz, four A53s at 1.5GHz, Adreno 430 to bear the load of QHD graphics and 3GB of RAM. And before you make any overheating jokes, the Surface team contributed a liquid cooling solution used in Microsoft’s tablets to keep the Lumia 950 XL running cool.

Microsoft introduced the Display Dock for Continuum. It has one HDMI and one DisplayPort, plus three USB ports for accessories.

The new Windows Hello feature (currently in beta) uses the front-facing camera to recognize you and unlock the device.

The Microsoft Lumia 950 XL will cost $650 and will be available next month.

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_950_xl_legendary_camera_reborn_on_the_big_screen-news-14336.php

Owners of a flagship Windows Phone have had their patience stretched thin, but those that held off have been rewarded. The Microsoft Lumia 950 improves on just about every feature of the Lumia 930. About time too, the 930 is a year and a half old.

The Windows 10 Mobile device comes with a 5.2" QHD screen – the sharpest on a Lumia yet. Like the XL screen, this one is an AMOLED with Glance screen, except in a more compact footprint this time.

The camera is basically the same – a 20MP PureView sensor with 5th gen optical stabilization and Carl Zeiss optics. It can record 2160p video natively with Lumia’s traditional Hi-Fi audio recording. There’s a 5MP selfie camera too, but without the LED flash.

The Lumia 950 is powered by Snapdragon 808 with 3GB of RAM. Gaming performance will take a hit if devs want to use the screen’s full QHD resolution, but for general app usage Windows was never picky about the chipset.

The phone comes with USB Type-C and wireless charging, plus a relatively big 3,000mAh battery. Using the Type-C connector you can hook up the Display Dock, which gives you HDMI and DisplayPort video out plus three USBs.

The Microsoft Lumia 950 will cost $550, available in November.

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_lumia_950_930_revamped_reborn-news-14337.php

[/quote]

Well well well, Microsoft is finally starting to take their phones seriously… I wonder if WP10 will help expand that tiny marketshare though.

Samsung Galaxy S7 to get 3D Touch-like features, rumor says

Vlad, 13 October, 2015 Samsung Android Rumors

As you probably know, one of the big new features of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus is called 3D Touch. This pairs a pressure-sensitive touchscreen with software that can take advantage of how hard you press down on it. Hence, among other things, a quick actions menu can show up when you press hard on the icon of an app (as seen in the image below).

3D Touch has left most of Apple’s competitors behind, but at least one of them is reportedly thinking of using it in its next flagship. And yes, it’s Samsung.

According to a rumor out of China, the Korean company is one of the “core partners” for Synaptics’ new ClearForce technology, which is basically going to offer 3D Touch to non-Apple device makers. Obviously this partnership between Samsung and Synaptics should result in the ClearForce tech being used on the Galaxy S7 that will be out next year.

While it will put in the pressure-sensitive hardware, it’s still unclear how Samsung plans on developing the software aspect of the feature, but if this is true then those details are probably going to be outed soon.

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_to_get_3d_touchlike_features_rumor_says-news-14454.php

[/quote]

Typical Samsung, or shall i say Copycat Samsung. Force touch is one of the lamest gimmicks to come out lately, and the fact that every other manufacturer is going to implement it on their devices just to join the Apple gay train is awful to say the least.

and soon when every manufacturer and software will be supporting this, and when it will become as necessary and permanent as pinch to zoom and flip to mute etc, you will probably have to eat your words..

Complaining without knowing and trying is very easy..

Just because something becomes the norm doesn't make it right. Selfies have become the norm, that doesn't make them any less stupid. :rolleyes:

As for me, I'd rather be the one to question than the one to join the ignorant "if it's new, it must be better" bandwagon. B)

Dasvidanya!

So, the big day happened (for Android fans of course). This year's flagship devices from Samsung & LG were officially revealed... You can read up all about it on your preffered gadget website.

About the specs, I just have one thing to say. The smartphone evolution seems to have slowed down to a crawl... the biggest upgrades these days are too small to care about...

Oh well, maybe in a couple of years.

As for the aesthetics of the phones... Samsung S7 looks decent, not much different than S6, but that's not a bad thing.

LG on the other hand has totally dropped the ball on G5. It's by far the ugliest phone they've launched in recent years. WTF? Just because it's metal doesn't mean it looks good, Ugh...

I guess Apple will take the cake this year with their iPhone 7. We'll see...

[quote=“Upsilon, post:46, topic:20269”]

So, the big day happened (for Android fans of course). This year’s flagship devices from Samsung & LG were officially revealed… You can read up all about it on your preffered gadget website.

[/quote]

I find it surprising that I didn’t see the slightest hint of new Samsung set being launched today in any of my tech news feeds, the few times I ventured on the internet today. Is the Samsung marketing team still doing their job?

It is pitiful that since the past few generations, upgrades have been merely evolutionary making new launches so dull and boring.

[quote=“Asad, post:47, topic:20269”]

I find it surprising that I didn’t see the slightest hint of new Samsung set being launched today in any of my tech news feeds, the few times I ventured on the internet today. Is the Samsung marketing team still doing their job?

It is pitiful that since the past few generations, upgrades have been merely evolutionary making new launches so dull and boring.

[/quote]

That’s modern journalism for you. Haha

You’ve probably read up about them by now, but here are some links just in case:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_and_s7_edge_official-news-16787.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g5_with_modular_design_dual_camera_on_back_unveiled-news-16777.php

I think these manufacturers have to start thinking outside the box. Currently they’re only trying to improve on what they’ve already made. What they need to do is make new technology.

Monochrome Cellphones > Color Cellphones > Smartphones > Touchscreen Smartphones (Windows Mobile/Symbian) > iPhones/Androids > ?

^ That right there is the evolution of phones.

Improvements to things like Chipset/CPU/RAM/GPU/Storage/Material/etc are just upgrades to already existing technology. Someone has to take it to the next level…

Okay let's think outside the box for the next phase of mobile evolution;

1. Foldable phone. Not the old flip ones, but like a paper fold.
  2. 3D Camera
  3. Holographic projection
  4. 1 month or at least a week's active battery time..
  5. Ability to install any OS.

Please continue...

LG seems to be thinking more outside the box than it's competitors. Dual screens have long been a feature of flip phones, but L.G in it's V10 model, has implemented always on second screen which is at least something cool. Let's hope more follows. Fingerprint reading should also be considered a separate stage of mobile evolution.

so no body saw that LG G5 has now modular interchangeable FRIENDS?

[quote="SupMA5TER, post:49, topic:20269"]

Okay let's think outside the box for the next phase of mobile evolution;

1. Foldable phone. Not the old flip ones, but like a paper fold.
  2. 3D Camera
  3. Holographic projection
  4. 1 month or at least a week's active battery time..
  5. Ability to install any OS.

Please continue...

LG seems to be thinking more outside the box than it's competitors. Dual screens have long been a feature of flip phones, but L.G in it's V10 model, has implemented always on second screen which is at least something cool. Let's hope more follows. Fingerprint reading should also be considered a separate stage of mobile evolution.

[/quote]

1. They're already working on it. We already have some curved display phones like the LG G Flex. We'll get to foldable phones soon enough.

2. We have plenty of 3D camera phones. The first major 3D phone was HTC EVO 3D, and it came out in 2011...

3. We already have projector phones such as Samsung Galaxy Beam... Not exactly a holograph, but we'll get there eventually.

4. A week long battery timing is already possible on some devices if your usage is moderate. Devices like Gionee Marathon series & such can survive that long, and these batteries are only expanding every year.

5. We already have a few phones like that such as the Elephone Vowney. Dual-boot functionality is probably gonna get more common in the future.

All that aside, there is still plenty more to look forward to. We can only wonder how smartphones would be like in 10 years.

[quote="farhan_ds, post:50, topic:20269"]

so no body saw that LG G5 has now modular interchangeable FRIENDS?

[/quote]

Gimmicks don't count as evolution. Gimmicks are just gimmicks. Things like 3D touch, 3D camera, curved diplay, modular design, etc are gimmicks, they don't revolutionize anything...

Seems like LG was right to gamble with the dual-camera setup on their new G5. It seems like that's gonna be this year's "definitive" feature. :rolleyes:

As of yet, we've got "leaked" renders of iPhone 7 & Huawei P9... and we all know how everyone likes to copy any & every new feature that comes out on any Apple device, so i can guarantee you that we'll be seeing plenty of Android devices adopting that feature very soon. Unfortunately for Samsung, they wouldn't be able to do it as their new toys are already out... i guess we'll see the setup make an appearance on S8/S8 EDGE/Mini/Plus/Minus/Multiply/Divide/etc editions next year. :P

BTW, dual cameras are by no means a new feature in phones. There have been quite a few phones released in the last 5 years or so which came with dual camera, but these setups were only used for 3D photography (e.g. HTC EVO 3D) or as a focus assist tool (e.g. HTC One M8). It's only now that we're seeing the two cameras being used individually for selective photography.

Just my thoughts...

Apple rehashing iPhone 5s with upgraded hardware.

Apple just announced the iPhone SE with a 4" display. The phone features a body almost identical to the iPhone 5 and 5s, but features the latest gen Apple A9 chip with a dual-core 1.85 GHz Twister processor and PowerVR GT7600 six-core graphics.

The 4" display rocks a resolution 1136x640 pixels, resulting in a pixel density of 326 ppi. The iPhone SE also features Retina Flash, which momentarily makes the screen three times brighter when you take a selfie. The 3D feature from the larger current gen iPhones hasn’t made its way to the SE though.

The Apple iPhone SE features the same 12MP iSight camera as its iPhone 6s and 6s Plus siblings. It comes complete with 4K video recording. The front-facing camera is 1.2MP and is complemented with the Retina Flash feature.

iPhone SE’s design is virtually the same as the iPhone 5s’, but the Home button has gotten smarter with Touch ID and Apple Pay support. As far as measurements go, they’re also the same as the iPhone 5s with a weight of 113 grams.

The best part about the iPhone SE is its price - it starts at $399 for 16GB of storage, while $499 nets you the 64GB version. The smartphone will be available for free with a two-year contract in the US as well as in $17 monthly installments.

Pre-orders commence on March 24, with sales starting on March 31. The phone will be available in four color versions, including the trendy Rose Gold.

[/quote]

Haha, typical of Apple. Making overpriced devices since their existence. $400 for that thing with bare minimum storage. Ugh…

Might as well get a Xperia Z5 Compact for that price. Bigger screen, bigger battery, better cameras, better hardware, more storage (+expandable), more extras. It’s only slightly bigger in size, but doesn’t waste so much space with those excessive bezels everywhere. But then again, it’s missing that “glorious” apple logo that fanboys crave. :lol:

HTC 10 arrives with 12MP UltraPixel camera, BoomSound speakers

HTC went off the right track, but now it’s going back to the glory days of the HTC One. The new phone is called HTC 10 and we like to read the “10” in binary, making this the HTC Two in a way.

The HTC 10 resurrects the UltraPixel name properly - a 12MP sensor with large pixels (1.55µm), a bright f/1.8 aperture, OIS and Laser AF. The camera can shoot 12-bit RAW, 4K 2160p videos and Hi-Res audio.

For the first time ever, the front-facing camera has optical image stabilization too. The camera itself has a 5MP sensor (1.34µm pixels) and f/1.8 aperture.

The BoomSound name is reborn again, instead of stereo speakers the pair works as a two-way speaker - tweeter (high frequencies) and woofer (low frequencies). Each speaker has its own amp. Going even further back in time to the days of the Desire, you get a premium headset in the box - with 70% oversized drivers and Hi-Res audio certification meaning they cover twice the frequency range.

The design of the HTC 10 is a follow-up to the One A9, which itself was based on the One. You can see the family resemblance in the capacitive Back and App switcher keys (except this time HTC didn’t leave out the third button) and especially on the back.

The HTC 10 has a 5.2" screen with QHD resolution (1,440 x 2,560px), it’s a Super LCD 5 with a curved edge Gorilla Glass. It launches with Android 6.0 Marshmallow on a Snapdragon 820 chipset with 4GB of RAM. You get a choice of 32GB storage ($700) and 64GB, both feature microSD a slot if you need more. Inside is a 3,000mAh battery that can be charged up to 50% in 30 minutes thanks to Quick Charge 3.0.

Source: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_10_official_with_12mp_ultrapixel_camera_boomsound_speakers-news-17733.php

[/quote]

Finally, a device that’s powerful, beautiful & hipster-friendly. :P Definitely on my to-buy-list sometime down the road.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:54, topic:20269”]

Finally, a device that’s powerful, beautiful & hipster-friendly. :P Definitely on my to-buy-list sometime down the road.

[/quote]

HTC as a brand, asking flagship prices for HTC 10 is poor marketing. While the device is interesting, they don’t realize the decreased worth of their brand anymore and seem to be living in their old glory days.

Further, their marketing budget can never beat Samsung and Apple, so fewer people will ultimately know about it. Add the fact that Galaxy S7, S7 Edge were released just 1.5-2 months ago and those who go straight for flagships have already got Samsung devices so this is bad timing for device intro.

^ There's two main reasons why they won't decrease price.

1. Higher price equates to higher quality. It's a ridiculous notion, but it's real nonetheless. People associate costlier things as being better than cheaper ones. That's one of the reasons why Apple products are priced ridiculously high even though their production cost is low.

2. They desperately need to make profit. HTC has been performing poorly as far as sales figures go, so they're desperately trying to make as much profit as they possibly can, which is one of the reason why they've also supposedly set a deal with Google to launch multiple nexus phones this year.

Whatever the case may be, i hope this product turns out successful for HTC. LG & HTC are two smartphone makers i don't wish to see come to the same fate as Nokia.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:56, topic:20269”]

^ There’s two main reasons why they won’t decrease price.

1. Higher price equates to higher quality. It’s a ridiculous notion, but it’s real nonetheless. People associate costlier things as being better than cheaper ones. That’s one of the reasons why Apple products are priced ridiculously high even though their production cost is low.

2. They desperately need to make profit. HTC has been performing poorly as far as sales figures go, so they’re desperately trying to make as much profit as they possibly can, which is one of the reason why they’ve also supposedly set a deal with Google to launch multiple nexus phones this year.

Whatever the case may be, i hope this product turns out successful for HTC. LG & HTC are two smartphone makers i don’t wish to see come to the same fate as Nokia.

[/quote]

That is exactly the point (2). Higher price means more margin but lesser units sold. Lower price with lesser margin but far higher sales volume (economies of scale and associated benefits) is the true path to profit in consumer space.

Seems like the device is as great as i expected it to be. Getting great reviews across the board. B)

LG G5 vs HTC 10 vs Samsung S7

LG V30 has been announced

As a huge fan of LG, this phone looks like the perfect phone to me. This perfection is exactly what was missing in last few LG phones. I’m glad they went back to the drawing board.