The Flagship Phones Thread

Instead of posting about each new device in separate threads, why not just post them in one? It will also be easier to compare and discuss them this way...

I'll begin with the latest hottie in the market.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
LG G2: First impressions

lg-g2-10.jpg

The LG G2 is the Korean manufacturer's flagship smartphone, which boasts of a 5.2-inch Full-HD IPS display and a 2.26GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. The phone was launched in India on Monday at a price point of Rs. 41,500 (16GB version).

We were able to spend some time with the LG G2 at the launch event, and here are our first impressions:

The first thing that you notice when you hold the LG G2 is that is lightweight. The phone doesn't feel bulky and fits in the hand despite sporting a rather large screen. The LG G2 is available in Black and White colour variants.

The other thing that strikes you is the absence of any physical buttons on the G2's edges. LG has been touting this particular attribute of the phone's design as a distinguishing feature; the LG G2's power and volume rocker keys are placed at the back of the phone below the camera lens.

lg-g2-11.jpg

LG says that it has done some consumer research before deciding to go with the new design, as it found that a large number of people place their index finger on the back of the phone while making a call.

We found the placement of these keys on the LG G2 a bit awkward, as we're used to these keys being placed on the edges.

The front of the LG G2 is dominated by its 5.2-inch full-HD (1080x1920 pixels) IPS display, with a pixel density of 423 pixels-per-inch(ppi). The bezel surrounding the phone's display is minimal and there are no physical keys on the front panel. The 2.1-megapixel front-facing camera and the sensor array are located above the display.

The micro-SIM tray is located at the left edge of the LG G2, while there are no buttons or ports on the right edge. The Infrared blaster port sits at the top edge. The port allows the phone to be used as a universal remote control in combination with a bundled app.

The bottom edge of the LG G2 features a 3.5mm headset jack just like the iPhone 5, apart from two speaker grills and a Micro-USB port. A chrome frame runs across the edges, giving the phone a premium feel.

lg-g2-12.jpg

The back of the LG G2 is made of plastic and sports a textured finish that is slightly glossy. We found that the phone's back was prone to smudges. These were more prominent in the Black colour variant of the phone.

As we mentioned earlier, the Power/ Screen lock key and the Volume rocker keys are located at the back just below the 13-megapixel camera lens and LED flash. The keys are metallic and offer good tactile feedback. The Volume-up key also doubles up as a shortcut key to launch the Quickmemo app on long press and the Volume-down key acts as a camera shortcut key on long press when the phone is locked.

The LG G2's camera lens is made of scratch resistant sapphire crystal glass to prevent scratches as users of the phone are likely to hit the lens while looking for the volume keys.

The G2 is powered by Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor that's clocked at 2.26GHz, and is coupled with 2GB of RAM. In our brief use of the phone, we found that navigating across the menu and opening and closing apps was very smooth. The phone is one of the most responsive Android smartphones we've come across thanks to all the power under the hood.

lg-g2-5.jpg

The LG G2 comes with a number of software bells and whistles. Among many of them is what the company calls KnockON (which is LG's version of double tap to unlock and even lock the phone), Guest mode (for offering selective access to apps to a different user), and Slide Aside (a way to multitask by moving between three apps at once via a three-finger swipe gesture).

So far, we were impressed with the build and performance of the LG G2. We will soon run the phone through our detailed test processes, and have a final verdict ready for you with our full review. Do stay tuned for that.

Source: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/reviews/lg-g2-first-impressions-425880

[/quote]

Full specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g2-5543.php

Full Review: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_g2-review-982.php

Wow, this thing is a beast. I find it much more enticing than the S4. That CPU speed combined with 60FPS 1080p HDR supported video recording are just great IMO. The new placement of the lock/volume button actually makes more sense than putting them on either side or top of the phone (on any large device that is, for smaller phones any placement works).

What's your opinion on it?

^ Accidental presses of the lock button.. Risk too high.. compress in pockets. while placing on the table. falling from hand. pressed on bed under your pillow. pressed during call.. volume change placement and depressed button is however very unique and probably easier than anything else,..

i1ll start with the greatest flagship phone ever made..

[/quote]

^Dude thats not Flagship, thats Battleship.

I didn't read the review of LG phone,. what is that button type on the back below the camera?

[quote=“Ahmsun, post:4, topic:20269”]

^Dude thats not Flagship, thats Battleship.

I didn't read the review of LG phone,. what is that button type on the back below the camera?

[/quote]

Power and Volume Rocker.

From the pictures, it looks like the power button is a little sunken inside its raised platform, thus accidental presses inside pocket etc should not be a problem. And its raised platform should stop accidental presses of adjacent volume keys as well.

like this new placement as it seems very convenient indeed during a call to volume up or down the voice.

Here's what GSMarena has to say about the key placement:

LG made a big deal out of the key's location. According to them, it provides for a more secure grip of the phone, it is more intuitive as it's exactly where the index finger usually rests and, finally, it's supposed to reduce the accidental drops, which are common when handling side buttons on big-screen smartphones.

We are really glad to report it's exactly what LG claims to be. The key placement spares you lots of unnecessary finger stretching, the location of all three keys is really convenient but it takes a bit time getting used to it. Finally, it really provides better grip and lowers the chances of accidental phone drops. Someone should have definitely thought of this earlier! This is a great example of how a very simple concept can break the mold and come out as a great innovation.

[/quote]

So yes, the new placement is a success, and i hope other manufacturers are gonna copy this idea on their future phones.

P.S. It would be nice if we could keep irrelevant stuff out of the thread...

For a phone that large, stretching fingers to power lock, or volume change would definitely induce arthritis or CTS very quickly... the idea for volume placement s excellent, not sure still about the power button though... it should be on the side, like galaxy S2, but lower in position, so it can be pressed by simply holding in hand.

if the key itself is depressed inside a raised platform, then it would require a finger nail press instead of a standard press.. could be difficult.. after all, all touch screen phones have taught us to use flatter thumbs..

P.S. it wouldn't be nice, it would just take the fun out of the thread..

HTC launches One Max with huge 5.9-inch display and fingerprint scanner

htc-one-max-silver.jpg

The bigger the phone, the harder it is to hide. After a slew of detailed leaks, HTC is finally ready to announce the HTC One Max: an enlarged version of the original One that boosts the size of the 1080p LCD panel up to 5.9 inches while attempting to keep the One's classy aluminum look and feel. This attempt is made regardless of the impact on general portability -- the One Max weighs 217 grams and is over 16 centimeters long and 10.3mm thick, thanks in part to the front-facing BoomSound speakers. And the phablet only gets phatter if you squeeze it into something like HTC's $90 power case, which contains a bendy 1,200mAh battery to add to the capacity of the built-in (and non-removable) 3,300mAh battery.

Aside from its size, the One Max brings other big changes, including a fingerprint scanner on its rear side. We've had the chance to use the scanner and, while it isn't as neat as the iPhone 5s's, it does the basic job of letting you log in with a swipe of your fingertip. We'd have happily swapped it out for optical stabilization on the UltraPixel camera, however.

The back cover is now removable, letting you expand the 16GB or 32GB of onboard storage with up to 64GB more via microSD -- a feature that was missing on the One and on the One X before that. The One Max sticks with a Snapdragon 600 (with 2GB of RAM) for processing, rather than the superior Snapdragon 800 used in rival devices like the Sony Xperia Z Ultra and Samsung Galaxy Note 3. The supported bands suggest healthy support for LTE networks in Europe and Asia, and as well as for Verizon and Sprint in the US, and HTC says global availability will start rolling out as early as this week.

On the software side, we're looking at a significantly revised version of HTC's Android skin, Sense 5.5, which runs on top of Android 4.3 and provides a new level of customization for the BlinkFeed news-glancing widget, as well as a list of other features that are summarized in the press release and spec sheet below. Check out the gallery below too, and standby for our review coming very shortly.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/14/htc-launches-one-max/

[/quote]

Full specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_max-5704.php

Full review: http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_max-review-999.php

So the finger-print scanner is becoming the new big thing in phones now huh... Well, i say Meh. -_-

The only problem i have with HTC is their Sense.. too small fonts. with very little customization possibilities. and very little space to touch icons properly.. unlike samsung which have abundant space for all touch and large clear fonts and icons.. their customizations are also actually useful and very easy to use.. sony is the worst in this category

if only HTC improved their Sense, i would be the first to buy their phones, which are very durable, light, excellent build and high specs with lots of features and great overall experience, except Sense..

Not official, but it makes sense. Right now would probably be the right time for Google to release it's new beast. You should know why.

^ Why?

Take a look at the new HTC beast: http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-m8/

It's one sexy device! :wub:

this is the one i have benn talking about in all other threads... this is by far the most gorgeous looking phone ever made.. in history

its flying off the shelf everywhere.. more sales than HTC can supply in shops..

Best turn around for htc in years..

I think HTC is only one year late in launching this phone. Samsung had thrown the same specs phone Galaxy S4 in march 2013.

Is there any difference in specs with GS4 ? They seem almost identical in hardware specs except HTC offering a faster CPU but still same quad core.

^ You know, there's more to a phone that it's processing power. The iPhones 5s is a solid proof of that. B)

[quote=", post:15, topic:20269"]

I think HTC is only one year late in launching this phone. Samsung had thrown the same specs phone Galaxy S4 in march 2013.

Is there any difference in specs with GS4 ? They seem almost identical in hardware specs except HTC offering a faster CPU but still same quad core.

[/quote]

Technically yes, no differences.. practically no.. a hell lot of differences..

i have seen and used and often tested a lot of phones from lowest end qmobiles and g5s to iphones 5S.. we had our own iphone import and supply to Hafeez center and DHA from 2007-2010.. i own a GS2, mom has GS3, also have Grande, and GS4 in family..quite a lot of Sony phones..

and yet, the best most responsive of the bunch are the GS4 and qmobile Z3.. strange but true..

Quadcores dont mean Qrap...once upon a time Dual core 1.5 Kraits used to kick the Shiit out of 1.8 quadcores.. case in point HTC One S vs the rest of them, including the HTC One X..

the current HTC is not meant to be just a benchmark king.. indeed it is blazing fast, but it has a lot more to make it indeed one the best android has EVER produced..

http://www.htc.com/us/smartphones/htc-one-m8/

reading this page till end will definitley make you fall in love with it..

• Awesome screen
  • perfect size (not the giant 5.5 and above sizes
  • Superb Surround sound with double front bass speakers
  • high quality audio processing (i only need phone with best audio on headphones personally as i listen daily for 1.5 hours while travelling.)
  • Premium looks
  • Solid alloy body
  • Ultra thin for its specs
  • very solid built (just was reading yesterday that iphone 5S screen cracked from a 5 foot drop,, GS5 survived a couple more feet.. and this HTC survived all the way upto 10 feet) you can search the drop test for direct link
  • Excellent camera (not the best, but almost 2nd best, besides camera alone is not a phone)
  • and very good battery life for its size

Arent these just few over the head nitpicked reasons enough for a splendid buy? for me it sure is.. when you would see it, you would love it too :)

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:17, topic:20269”]

reading this page till end will definitley make you fall in love with it..
[/quote]

I can fall in love with such phones only if I get one as a gift :D

I change phone after 2-3 years so I get much more upgraded features rather than wasting my money every six months and slowly upgrading the thing.

^ me too.. cant afford one.. and no sign of any one showing me such love to gift me one.. ::(

i also change phones after atleast 2 years.. unless 2GB ram and quadcore become mainstream instead of gimmicks and 5inch becomes norm, i would abstain from upgrade too..

Well it's much different for me. I usually change my phones every 3-6 months, just a bad habit of mine. :P

Had the A51 in November, Switched to HTC Amaze 4G in February, and already considering replacing it now in April. :D

I used to buy expensive phones, but after a few phones got snatched in the family, I decided it wasn't worth the risk owning them in this city. The cheaper the phone, the lower the risk and the loss. :ph34r: