The Best/Worst "Fast Food" Experiences [Add City/Branch Name]

Your fingers are not all the same size.

Unfortunately, that seems to hold true for the foreign-based

food franchises in Pakistan. I'll talk about my experience of

the ones in Karachi.

KFC:

The one in boat-basin is the best. It's clean, it's air-conditioned,

the service is prompt (for the most part) and the servers don't

look like they just crawled out of the sewer, 5 minutes ago.

The worst is the one on Seaview. Oh God! absolutely filthy.

The decor is nasty (they have put up white, bathroom tiles on

the walls, like you are at an abattoir), the servers are lazy, un-

professional and dirty (in every conceivable way). The mgmt is

clueless and there is no chance of it improving with this present

lot.

They make the worst Twisters. They fill it up with stale cauliflower

(when they are supposed to use iceberg lettuce!) and curry juice.

They don't bake the bread, so what you get is a mish-mash of

half-cooked flour, curry juice and bits of chicken that are hard as

concrete. The Zingers have rubbery, bad meat that is best left

on the table, or else it'll have to come out they way it entered

your body. Just nasty, all around.

McDonalds:

The best is probably the one on Seaview. It's crowded, but

there is enough staff to take care of it. The bathroom floor

is always covered with grimy footsteps and smells funny, as

if folks have had 'accidents' in there.

The worst, is probably the one near GULF shopping center.

It's congested all the time, the service is haphazard and the

tables are littered with ketchup and other stuff, which I presume

is... mustard. Hope so. The sitting area on the mezzanine is

so low, you can't stand-up straight without bumping into the

ceiling.

Mr. Cod:

The one on Khy-Badr. Claustrophobic, mom & pop mgmt

(they are always running out of stuff), over-priced junk

which all tastes the same, ie; oily pakoras.

Pizza Hut:

The one on Zamzama is the worst during Ramazan. It sounds

like a cattle farm, with Uncles arguing with servers about their

service (they won't bring pizza to your table unless you threaten

them with bodily harm and only when the clock runs out). Their

bathrooms are also filthy. I think that's to discourage off-loading

during buffet. Smart move.

The best is probably the one that just opened on boat-basin.

You can see the man-made inlet, all lit-up at night from the

giant windows on the first and second floors. Beautiful scenery

with which to enjoy your food. It's still new and clean. The service

is too good. Last time we were there, the server stood by our

table and would cut our pizza and put it on our plates for us...

I think if we had asked him to put it into our mouths, he just

might have obliged us.

Anybody have different experience(s) or views about these

eating establishments ?. Or a recent good/bad buffet ?.

Sheikh 'A Buffet, Is A Challenge' Chilli

Here in Multan, there's one KFC, one Pizza Hut and no McDonalds. If you don't like their service, too bad though it is just average.

^^ I guess you have covered all areas accurately

Mr Burger

Their joints are normally empty and service is at most dilatory. But environment is good (less people less noise) and burgers are tasty, but recently they have jacked up the prices so high, they equal Mcdonalds.

(Just noticed the word "foreign")

Papa Johns

Nice place not too crowded (hence bathroom clean), service is good, pizza's alright. Both joints(Do Talwaar & phase 6) are good. I have no complaints there, except I would rather eat Pizza experts or Pizza Inns (Boat Basin) pizza than theirs.

Dominos

All joints are too congested, and the prices are too high. Items are however alright, but not for everyone. Service is good.

Chicken King

Joint is alright, like the one in boat basin. Items are alright, some like it better than KFC, but I don't see any difference in them. Service can be slow at times.

Pizza Experts

Their joint in Park Towers is awesome. Nice view, not too crowded, and the items are affordable and tasty. service is good too. Don't know how their iftar services is though.

McDonald Rawalpindi. Jinnah Park, Rawalpindi.

Great stuff. Good staff. Clean washrooms. Nice view. A/C all the time. Enough space for easy car parking. Cineplex is on walking distance (50 or 70 feet away). Large park to walk and enjoy night breeze. I love this place. Close to my home and I frequently visit there. I usually have my lunch here if I am in Kechari (which is 500 to 800 feet away).

McDonald Islamabad

Clueless staff. Half the times you'll get drink either without ice or without CO2. Sometime there A/C is either broken or just not using it. In rush hours, staff get really bad temper and you start to think that whether you are on a Free Lunger or McDonald?

KFC Rawalpindi

Too crowdy. People have no sense of parking cars. You'll spent an hour for parking and removing your car. All this exercise and tension of car parking for just 15 minutes of food. Though, their Zinger is good.

Pizza Hut Rawalpindi

Oh God! I never went inside in any Ramazan. I only watch it from outside. Too many people inside than Raja Bazar :D Sometime it is fun to see people struggling to eat "All You Can Eat" for Rs. 500. While you can enjoy a super heavy Iftari for Rs. 100 to Rs. 200 elsewhere.

Whats the best local fast food? Besides Kabab rolls, they are generally good at most places..

Mr. Burger used to be amazing, back many years ago, but now seems to have "lost it", whatever it was. Even the famous Chicken Broast of Boat Basin fame no longer is very appealing.

Mr.Burger actually still tastes just as good. Atleast the Gulshan branch does! Amongst the local stuff the following are great

King and Queens Pizza - Muhammad Ali Society! Excellent Pizza ... cheap price

Students Biryani's Fried Chicken - A good cheap alternative to KFC style fried chicken

AFC (The lahore wali wtih one branch in Khi) - Their version of the Zinger is almost ditto copy that of KFCs

BoviChic Karachi - The most simplest, nicest, juiciest Chicken and Beef burgers you can have, cheap as chips (Literally, a Chicken or Beef burger would cost you same as a Large Fries at KFC :P). I go there alot!

Red Apple - Even though famous for Mayo Rolls along with Hot N Spicy, I really like Red Apples Grill BBQ Chicken burger

Kaybees - They have lost standard somewhat ... still the Sandwiches there are good

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

McDonald Rawalpindi. Jinnah Park, Rawalpindi.

Great stuff. Good staff. Clean washrooms. Nice view. A/C all the time. Enough space for easy car parking. Cineplex is on walking distance (50 or 70 feet away). Large park to walk and enjoy night breeze. I love this place. Close to my home and I frequently visit there. I usually have my lunch here if I am in Kechari (which is 500 to 800 feet away).

McDonald Islamabad

Clueless staff. Half the times you’ll get drink either without ice or without CO2. Sometime there A/C is either broken or just not using it. In rush hours, staff get really bad temper and you start to think that whether you are on a Free Lunger or McDonald?

KFC Rawalpindi

Too crowdy. People have no sense of parking cars. You’ll spent an hour for parking and removing your car. All this exercise and tension of car parking for just 15 minutes of food. Though, their Zinger is good.

Pizza Hut Rawalpindi

Oh God! I never went inside in any Ramazan. I only watch it from outside. Too many people inside than Raja Bazar :D Sometime it is fun to see people struggling to eat “All You Can Eat” for Rs. 500. While you can enjoy a super heavy Iftari for Rs. 100 to Rs. 200 elsewhere.

[/quote]

absolutely rite man…McDonald Islamabd sucks big time…though i live in isloo but i prefer the one located in jinnah park due to its enviroment

@Sheikh Chilli

Now you change the title.

Mr.Burger actually still tastes just as good. Atleast the Gulshan branch does! Amongst the local stuff the following are great
[/quote]

All branches are the same, except the ones in the Malls.

King and Queens Pizza - Muhammad Ali Society! Excellent Pizza … cheap price

[/quote]

I disagree. True the price is cheap but the Pizzas are atrocious. Their chicken wings look like batair wings. Their Pizzas have less cheese and meat than its sauce. Its lost its former glory a decade ago.

Students Biryani’s Fried Chicken - A good cheap alternative to KFC style fried chicken

[/quote]

Their fried chicken is ok, but their fries are bad really really bad. All the times I have eaten there I always got soggy fries from them. Karachi Foods or Karachi Broast have much better broast and fries.

Red Apple - Even though famous for Mayo Rolls along with Hot N Spicy, I really like Red Apples Grill BBQ Chicken burger

[/quote]

Khadda Market’s joint’s food standards are pretty good, affordable and plenty of variety available. there.

I disagree. True the price is cheap but the Pizzas are atrocious. Their chicken wings look like batair wings. Their Pizzas have less cheese and meat than its sauce. Its lost its former glory a decade ago.
[/quote]

Its better than Pizza Hut with its outrageoulsy priced Pizzas which always taste almost the same :S … and are crappy. Cheese Stuffed crust was more like they put cheese in their with a dripper, na honay kay barabar. Overpowering Oregano in the sauce.

I had Pizza at Kings n Queens just before Ramadan, there was quite a lot of meat on the pizza … properly good topping

Their fried chicken is ok, but their fries are bad really really bad. All the times I have eaten there I always got soggy fries from them. Karachi Foods or Karachi Broast have much better broast and fries.
[/quote]

Students fries aint good. But I like the chicken.

^Which branch of Kings and queens did you go to? Mohd. Ali society or Seaview?

Have you had it once or twice.

As for Pizza hut, it is really expensive, but most pizza parlors are expensive, like Pizza supremo, Pizza Visueus(Don't know exact spelling), or Papa Johns. Also there are only two pizzas I like there, Fajita and supreme. I also have to agree with you about the crusted cheese; its crap and not worth it.

Mohd Ali at Kings ... many a times.

The last place id go for Pizza is Pizza Hut. Apart from the BBQ Beef, all pizzas taste almost exactly the same :\

Mohd Ali at Kings … many a times.

The last place id go for Pizza is Pizza Hut. Apart from the BBQ Beef, all pizzas taste almost exactly the same :</p>

[/quote]

Agreed, their chicken pizzas(Fajita,Tikka,Supreme) do taste the same

and I think I will try K&Q at Mohd Ali

Mr. Burger:

Whenever we go there now, we talk about one thing:

how this place could easily be a front, for some drug-

running, or smuggling of some sort. There are a dozen

splits that are kept on, all the time. There are half-a-

Dozen workers in there, keeping it spic-n-span. Yet, it

is always empty. Where are they making the money to

keep this giant machine chugging along ?. Oh yeah, the

food is just as good. I went there day-before-yesterday

(because one of you reminded me of it) and man, it was

just as juicy and 'karara', as I had remembered it. Only

one thing, it's expensive, compared to burgers on boat-

basin at other joints. And the burger is too small, to make

a lasting impression on one's appetite.

Chicken King:

I am surprised this thing has been such a flop. First on

boating-basin. Nobody came. An ice cream parlor has

opened-up when they closed shop there (Chaman) and

it is also doing no business at all, after the first day of

it's opening. I went to the outlet that they have opened

in Khadda Market. Nobody was there and the staff was

clearly excited to see a customer. I got a chicken burger

and it was pretty darn good (just as juicy and fresh as

1 Potato, 2 Potato). I don't know why this Malaysian chain

is having so much problem grabbing customers. Maybe

in Pakistan, Malaysian is not cool enough, yet. Their burger

is Rs. 110. Not too expensive.

Roasters:

Its the one off-Zamzama. They have done the insides in the

trendy all-black decor. They keep it so dark inside it takes a

while for your eyes to get accustomed and start seeing who's

in there. The music is loud, the customers are, for the most

part, up-scale. The waiters are probably better educated than

the customers. The food is quite expensive (Rs. 400+) for

most of the main dishes. Side orders are half that. The portions

are small, but the quality is top-notch. The service is also quite

good. Just one thing, that the tables are placed too close to-

gether and the chairs are uncomfortable. You just want to eat

the food and get the heck outta there.

It's one of those trendy new places, that surprisingly, has good

quality and tasty (albeit expensive) food. If you want to impress

somebody take them there. You can't go wrong with a steak, or

one of their giant burgers.

Kaybees:

I have been eating there for as long as I can remember. We used

to trek an hour, each way, just to eat their ice cream and club

sandwiches. I am a regular customer, but last night I got a rude

shock. They have cut down the size of their club sandwich bread

by a 1/4 and reduced the portion of the fries by 1/2. Now, it all

comes in a decidedly smaller box (probably so that you'd think

it was just your imagination). They don't cut the sides of their

(stale) breads and the stuffing inside doesn't reach the outer

edge of the bread anymore.

What it all means, is that they are watering down their foods, in

order to increase their profit margin. The club sandwich has nearly

doubled in price, in the last 2-3 years. Now, by reducing the size

by a 1/3, they have, in actuality, increased the price by a 1/3.

You are paying the same, for 1/3 less product. Shame on them.

For being so greedy, sneaky and insulting the customer's IQ.

Btw, anybody a fan of CHIPS, on boating-basin (Karachi) ?.

Sheikh 'I See You' Chilli

PS: deffury, yeah I changed it because I didn't

think it'd be proper to omit the local cuisines,

which so many of us enjoy on a regular basis.

Arizona Grill ... Oh god I love them Fire Steaks. Kab say nae khaya !

Mr.Burger ... The Gulshan NIPA branch is actually very active. A few Mr.Burgers though pretty much are empty all the time, others serve as a good "Dating point" for those who finally realize Quaid ka mazar is a bit toooooo low

One Potato Two Potato ... LOVE their fries.

Chips ... at their once or twice, good economical stuff.

Jans Broast ... initially only in Saddar, now in Clifton. Its not as good as it used to be ... else, Jans Broast was probably the best proper broasted chicken Ive EVER had! And I had them a-l-o-t! Sometimes you still get that quality, but it aint as good as before. *sigh*

Kaybees ... I agree with Shiekh Chilli, its pretty much shitty now. You seen Big Mac after Kaybees ? Its Roasted Chicken burger is very nice.

@Sheikh_Chilli

If you are a fan for Chicken and Beef pattie burgers, try Bovichic. The most juiciest simple burgers you will EVER have!

Jans Broast

One advice, don't go to the Clifton one. Their best joint is the saddar one. Still one my personal favs. The Fried chicken are not served oily as most broast joints do, and their garlic chatni is still one my favs along side Karachi broasts.

Pizza inn

This joint is located at the end of boat basin. The only Pizzas that you should order are the all rounder and fajita. Also when ordering make sure you tell them that the last pizza they served was not made well (even if you haven't tried it). You could could also order stuff from the joint next to it "Thali Inn", a combination of Pizzas and their Sizzling platter is always a good deal.

Hanifia

Haven't tried it yet. Anyone?

One Potato two potato

Great fries, Alright Burgers, nice Hot dogs, affordable, no seats however, Take away only.

Karachi Broast

Great broast, oily fries, loads of variety(Kebabs,tikka,handi,Burgers,Chinese), can be expensive, and Bihari kebab burgers?

Pizza Supremo

Nice pizzas, Pineapples also included, but do not order delivery. Joint is small,and bathroom clean but is small.

Hanifia

Haven’t tried it yet. Anyone?

[/quote]

If you’ve ever eaten hunter beef … this is the place to get it from all year long. Excellent food, a very different taste. Chicken or beef hunter style fried in a pan, served in a nice bun with cottage cheese … yummy! Just make sure to tell them not to keep it too oily (when frying the chicken)

The cottage cheese they serve is fresh made dialy, and its wonderfull on its own. A slice of that on a bread, bit of salt … lovely late night snack!

And im jus drooling for some Jans Broast with that chutni naaaaaow :D

I request original OP and mods to please remove the "Karachi" from the topic and allow adding review from other cities too.

What do you guys think? Should there be another thread for all major cities' fast-food or this thread can handle it?

Agreed. but make sure you edit description stating "Users must mention city as well"