The 10 step plan to get the best out of your DSL connection

I used to have a 2mb PTCL connection, but found that it was performing the same as a 1mb connection i.e download speeds around 60-70kbs and upload around 20kbs. Obviously the lack of performance is due to distance from exchange (although I am not that far) and interference. Does anyone know of some filter that will work on PTCL lines? Has anyone tried this device: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7256. Will this technology work on Pakistani phone lines? By the way my line has no crackle, I had a new length of single wire connected directly to the pole.

Apart from this does anyone know how to get better performance from the line. I really need the 2mb connection, but only if I can get the performance to match. Maybe there is some trick from the exchange to increase line speed specially for DSL. In the early days in the UK the exchange increased the "gain" on the line for better DSL performance.

I am sure somewhere in this forum there must be a "10 step plan to get the best out of your DSL connection" if not maybe we could compile one right here!

60kb/sec is actually 512kbps. Either your line is really messed up or it was something on PTCLs end.

Hmmm... yes that's the kind of speed I get using speedtest.net around 500kbs download. So what to do? Call PTCL up and ask them to do what? Test the line, check their equipment? What's the next step? I'm British born and have only been here for a year and so still learning the ropes!

Which city are you in? If possible, trying shifting to ONU network for higher speeds.

^^if you are using the connection currently check the line stats and post it here. its not necessary that the line is faulty its maybe due to wrong configuration of the port from ptcl's end

^ Port speeds are not controlled from exchange.

atifdarr: Please tell which modem have you received. Have you talked about this to DSL Officer in your local exchange? and which city are you in?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

^ Port speeds are not controlled from exchange.
[/quote]

where did i say it is? i just said ptcl end :P

It could be that the connection was new... You start off with 512 and then they upgrade it to 2mb but that might not be the case here

It could be that the connection was new… You start off with 512 and then they upgrade it to 2mb but that might not be the case here
[/quote]

you maybe right cuz a 2mb connection with that speed?? damn

I used to have a 2mb PTCL connection, but found that it was performing the same as a 1mb connection i.e download speeds around 60-70kbs and upload around 20kbs. Obviously the lack of performance is due to distance from exchange (although I am not that far) and interference. Does anyone know of some filter that will work on PTCL lines? Has anyone tried this device: http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=7256. Will this technology work on Pakistani phone lines? By the way my line has no crackle, I had a new length of single wire connected directly to the pole.

Apart from this does anyone know how to get better performance from the line. I really need the 2mb connection, but only if I can get the performance to match. Maybe there is some trick from the exchange to increase line speed specially for DSL. In the early days in the UK the exchange increased the “gain” on the line for better DSL performance.

I am sure somewhere in this forum there must be a “10 step plan to get the best out of your DSL connection” if not maybe we could compile one right here!

[/quote]

I had the same problem,I ordered 1mb at the time. But at the time of installation I told him mistakenly that I ordered a 512K.

I actually upgraded to 2mb then(the exchange person was very friendly and told me they would upgrade me right away on 1mb) and they upgraded me to 2mb.

And then the exchange guy called me to confirm through logging into the modem. It turned out it was still 512K,he assured me it would be fixed soon. Next day when I checked I had 2048KBS download and 1024Kbs upload speed.

1024kbps upload speed? How? :o

1024kbps upload speed? How? :o
[/quote]

I am sorry,I meant on modem status. I get around 720 KBS upload speed on my 2mb connection.