That's how internet petition should work

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Users petition to keep Windows XP

Gruman started a Save XP Web petition, gathering since January more than 100,000 signatures and thousands of comments, mostly from die-hard XP users who want Microsoft to keep selling it until the next version of Windows is released, currently targeted for 2010.

On the petition site’s comments section, some users proclaimed they will downgrade from Vista to XP – an option available in the past to businesses, but now open for the first time to consumers who buy Vista Ultimate or Business editions – if they need to buy a new computer after XP goes off the market.

Others used the comments section to rail against the very idea that Microsoft has the power to enforce the phase-out from a stable, decent product to one that many consider worse, while profiting from the move. Many threatened to leave Windows for Apple or Linux machines.

Microsoft already extended the XP deadline once, but it shows no signs it will do so again. The company has declined to meet with Gruman to consider the petition. Microsoft is aware of the petition, it said in a statement to The Associated Press, and "will continue to be guided by feedback we hear from partners and customers about what makes sense based on their needs."

Gruman said he’d keep pressing for a meeting.

“They really believe if they just close their eyes, people will have no choice,” he said.

In fact, most people who get a new computer will end up with Vista. In 2008, 94 percent of new Windows machines for consumers worldwide will run Vista, forecasts industry research group IDC. For businesses, about 75 percent of new PCs will have Vista. (That figure takes into account companies that choose to downgrade to XP.)

Although Microsoft may not budge on selling new copies of XP, it may have to extend support for it.

[/quote]

Full Story at http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/04/14/microsoft.xp.ap/index.html

This is how people should use internet petition. Not just create and left it. Purse it and also use all other means, not just petition. When gather hundred thousand people then press release it to news agencies around the world. Maybe CNN or other news agencies pick it up and make world wide news.

Lots of things we should learn from it. What do you guys think? Can somebody crazy enough do this to ask different international companies to included Pakistan in their list (just for example, PayPal and many other companies)?

Fe-Aman Allah.

I've signed.

Online petitions have little to no effect in my opinion. No one takes them seriously. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that killing XP won't be a popular decision for Microsoft. Hell I could've told them that! I'm sure they have a plan in mind (which is basically forcing people to buy Vista), even though it won't be well received.

Coming Soon: "Blue Market" Copies of Windows XP....legit but not really legit.

Gruman has got some internet marketing skills. Promoted efficiently any worthy petition can collect 6 digit signatures.

i dont know why people are preferring to stick to the 8 years old XP. I used XP for like 3,4 years, may be more. WHen i installed VISTA for the first time, i didn't get any sound caz it took my mobo manufacture 1 month to make the drivers available on windows update. many softwares that i was used to, didn't work.

but i liked the interface, after a while i learnt about the increased security in the form of UAC (user account control). the instant search, alot of other improvments. All in all, vista is a breeze now. sure you wont like it if you are running it on a P3 with 512 meg of ram but M$ has already warned you need a good pc.

other than the hardware requirements issue, Vista is such a great OS, i will never look back to XP, can someone explain why so many ppl are blindly signing petitions and calling VISTA a disaster, without trying to know about it first? ... or is, calling vista bad just 'in' these days, and ppl do this for fun? :)

i dont know why people are preferring to stick to the 8 years old XP. I used XP for like 3,4 years, may be more. WHen i installed VISTA for the first time, i didn’t get any sound caz it took my mobo manufacture 1 month to make the drivers available on windows update. many softwares that i was used to, didn’t work.

but i liked the interface, after a while i learnt about the increased security in the form of UAC (user account control). the instant search, alot of other improvments. All in all, vista is a breeze now. sure you wont like it if you are running it on a P3 with 512 meg of ram but M$ has already warned you need a good pc.

other than the hardware requirements issue, Vista is such a great OS, i will never look back to XP, can someone explain why so many ppl are blindly signing petitions and calling VISTA a disaster, without trying to know about it first? … or is, calling vista bad just ‘in’ these days, and ppl do this for fun? :)

[/quote]

I already answered this once before but can’t be bothered to find the post so I’ll answer again!

- It needs a lot of hardware resources. If people want to buy a lower end PC, they’re basically screwed when Microsoft kills XP.

- You may have liked the new interface but I know a lot of people (including myself), who don’t like it. I personally found it unintuitive and just plain confusing at times.

- When Vista was launched at least, it broke a lot of old software, and 90% of the games out there (according to the CEO of WildTangent). That may have improved now, not sure though.

- The so called security is so annoying that many users were compelled to turn it off. Not very secure then is it…!

Overall it just doesn’t have enough to justify people upgrading their machines and spending the time and money to bother switching to Vista from XP. It also bugs me that Microsoft focuses so much on eye candy and not enough on functionality. Their whole marketing scheme is very sneaky, where they seem to try to wow and distract consumers with flashy power hungry visual effects.

@sah,

yara as i (& k2munda) said, the only valid issue is price of the OS and PRICE OF A POWERFUL SYSTEM one'd need to run vista, other than that all the issues are user-based, if one turns off UAC then he surely needs to have some AntiVirus s/w installed to keep his pc and data secure, i find it it annoying also but UAC is better than installing an Antivirus that eats up lots of resources.

@k2munda,

just wanted to ask a friendly question :) you always sound like THE critic on WP forums, all the times 24x7 :P .... whats the reason behind that? why do you sound so dishearted/disappointed of everything pakistan(i)? ...just curious :)

@sah,

yara as i (& k2munda) said, the only valid issue is price of the OS and PRICE OF A POWERFUL SYSTEM one’d need to run vista, other than that all the issues are user-based, if one turns off UAC then he surely needs to have some AntiVirus s/w installed to keep his pc and data secure, i find it it annoying also but UAC is better than installing an Antivirus that eats up lots of resources.

[/quote]

Abbas the issue is at the user end, and that IS the point. All that matters is what the consumers think, since without the consumers there is no Windows. And since Microsoft is responsible for creating those issues at the user end, the consumers have complete right to complain.

And the other issues are legitimate as well. I bought my new laptop in Dec 2006, and it came with XP and I could get a free upgrade to Vista when it launched. I never upgraded, since I just don’t like it, the issue is just not the hardware.

A friend of mind bought a new laptop end of 2007. It came with Vista and was fully capable of of running Vista. The poor guy tried ‘downgrading’ to XP but Vista wouldn’t allow it. Had to reformat his system. Anyways, point is, you may like Vista and thats fine. But a lot of people out there don’t, and they also don’t want to let go of XP for the same reasons!

not installing VISTA in one computer even computer is more than powerful enough dude its matter of choice.

it is a historical fact with windows users to !@#$% about the every new version so i think its just all crap

VISTA is awesome if you want it get a new computer with it other wise don’t bother and !@#$%

some historical fact i remember

when windows 98 came out, back then nobody wanted to leave win 95 all the negativity falling down to win98

when win 2000 came out nobody wanted to leave win98 for win 2000 , all saying win 2000 is #$%# and i am sticking to win98

the same hypocrites when xp came out all bitching and moaning about xp and saying they will never leave win 2000

now tne same people for whom win xp was such a disaster, at the arrival of vista now win xp is their darling.

i have been seeing above crap story since win95, so i don’t buy above #$%#

when vista officially came out i studied reviews and it was apparent that my current computer was not powerful enough, i went and bought myself another computer what vista required and from the first install its running awesome no problems at all, no lags no slow downs, no crashing and nothing.

[/quote]

I agree.I’ve heard a lot against XP back in 2001-2004.Everyone was saying XP is slow etc.Vista is awesome.