Tethering (Hotspot) works with one PC but not the other

I am having a strange problem and can not figure out what I am doing wrong, here is the scenario.

• Mobiles:
    • Samsung Galaxy S5
    • OnePlus One
  • Two HP laptops
    • Both with Windows 8.1 Update 1
  • Two Mobilink connections 3G enabled
  • 3G is working on both the phones

Tethering OnePlus One to any of the two laptops, the internet works.

Tethering Galaxy S5 to one laptop works, but does not work with the other laptop.

I have tried:

1. Renamed the SSID in mobile.
  2. Checked to make sure the Access points match with OnePlus One.
  3. Removed and re-added the access points.
  4. Removed the SSIDs saved in Windows.

Am unable to use internet on on of the laptops. With OnePlus when I hit connect on the hotspot SSID on my laptop it connects asap on both computers, with Galaxy S5 it connects asap on one computer but not the other, it takes time, and then connects as 'limited' and then the 'limited' sign disappears, but still on internet.

Has anyone faced this issue, or can help resolving this?

Check the IP configuration assigned to both laptops by S5 hotspot DHCP.

Also make sure that all devices are allowed to connect to the hotspot.

[quote=“Asad, post:2, topic:21942”]

Check the IP configuration assigned to both laptops by S5 hotspot DHCP.

[/quote]

I am connecting one laptop at a time, the IP address assigned is different for each laptop. I just tried connecting both laptops at once, internet working on one and not the other, both laptops have been assigned different IPs.

[quote=“BlueClub, post:3, topic:21942”]

I am connecting one laptop at a time, the IP address assigned is different for each laptop. I just tried connecting both laptops at once, internet working on one and not the other, both laptops have been assigned different IPs.

[/quote]

Are the gateway, DHCP server, DNS server IPs all the same?

Check the s5 maximum number of connections allowed in tethering settings .

i heard most of the mobile sets hotspot works only for 1 connection

[quote=“Asad, post:4, topic:21942”]

Are the gateway, DHCP server, DNS server IPs all the same?

[/quote]

Yes, the default gateway, DHCP server, DNS server, subnet mask are all the same. The IP is diffrent.

[quote="nadeem5476, post:5, topic:21942"]

Check the s5 maximum number of connections allowed in tethering settings .

[/quote]

The maximum allowed connections is set to 10, though I am only connecting one device (laptop) at a time.

[quote="multichoice, post:6, topic:21942"]

i heard most of the mobile sets hotspot works only for 1 connection

[/quote]

That is not true, almost all Android handsets (all that I have used anyways) support a maximum of 10 simultaneous connections. Though I am only trying to connect one laptop at a time.

Have you tried... restarting your phone?

[quote=“Asad, post:8, topic:21942”]

Have you tried... restarting your phone?

[/quote]

Yes, I have... though I am not sure if it is my phone, I think its the computer / Windows.

Since the Galaxy S5 connects (can use internet) to the other laptop just fine, and not to my primary laptop (wifi connects, no internet).

Doing this should reset all relevant network settings on the problematic laptop:

Open Command Prompt with Admin Privileges (App Search -> Type in cmd -> Right Click Command Prompt and click Run As Admin)

Copy in the following commands one line at a time and press enter after each:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
netsh int ipv4 reset all
netsh int tcp reset all

netsh wlan delete profile name=*

Restart your laptop.

You will have to re-enter WiFi Password.

have you tried flushing DNS form both the laptops ?

ipconfig /flushDNS

if still not working then have you tried turning off (shut down properly) the laptop which is working fine and then also turning off the other laptop and then turn ON the other laptop and try , near me it is DHCP problem , make sure all the laptops are using IPV4 and un-check the ipv6 option .

[quote=“hashmi1, post:10, topic:21942”]

Doing this should reset all relevant network settings on the problematic laptop:

Open Command Prompt with Admin Privileges (App Search -> Type in cmd -> Right Click Command Prompt and click Run As Admin)

Copy in the following commands one line at a time and press enter after each:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
netsh int ipv4 reset all
netsh int tcp reset all

netsh wlan delete profile name=*

Restart your laptop.

You will have to re-enter WiFi Password.

[/quote]

[quote="nadeem5476, post:11, topic:21942"]

have you tried flushing DNS form both the laptops ?

ipconfig /flushDNS

if still not working then have you tried turning off (shut down properly) the laptop which is working fine and then also turning off the other laptop and then turn ON the other laptop and try , near me it is DHCP problem , make sure all the laptops are using IPV4 and un-check the ipv6 option .

[/quote]

Thanks, I am going to try this over the weekend, and will get back with the results. Thank you both (y)

I never could get it to work, and I have given up on this now... It seems I will never get it to work, I will try when, if ever, I reinstall Windows.

Here is what I did and the settings look like, FYI.