Telenor to launch 3G technology soon

Telenor to launch 3G technology soon

March 13, 2008

To introduce the new technologies in mobile and communicator sector, Telenor Pakistan has started at training programme for working journalists. The second training workshop in this regard was held at a local hotel here on Wednesday in which experts from well known telecom company, Nokia Siemens Networks and telecom engineers from Telenor Pakistan delivered the lectures. In the training workshop, lectures were delivered about EDGE/ GPRS, WCDMA, 3G and other upcoming technologies.

Director Communication Telenor Pakistan Syed Hasnat Masood said, Telenor with the fastest growing and the widest EDGE/GPRS network in the country has already launched ‘SmartMail’, a wireless push email service, adding that with this service customers can access their emails, data and attachments instantly using almost any handset.

He said that Telenor Smart Mail gives customers full mobile access to corporate email, calendar, contacts, to do list, and memos. Through wireless or wireline connections, customers can synchronize their Pocket PC, Palm OS, Symbian, or PC mobile device and send and receive email. Giving the details of 3G technology, Hasnat said that existing mobile companies are negotiating with PTA about the 3G service, which no doubt would prove a mild stone into the mobile sector in Pakistan.

Replying a query he said that about the new telecom policy PTA is busy for constituting new telecom policy with the concern of all existing mobile companies, operating in the country, but he declined to give any details about the suggestions which have been given to PTA for new policy. He said that the all the teams of PTA are working very hard to bring state of the art technologies in Pakistan and authority is providing all possible facilities to mobile operators.

Representative of Nokia Siemens Networks, Saad Waraich also delivered the lecture about the new technologies. He said that smart Mail also helps in managing business travel by automatically retrieving itinerary information and presenting it on mobile devices, along with appropriate driving directions, maps, and weather forecasts. Customers can also access their information from any web browser or internet-ready mobile phone.

Source: http://www.brandsynario.com/NewsDetails.asp?NewsID=2167

Yeah, i will also hope they utilize the 3G features like TV Broadcasting & 4.5MB/Sec broadband.

no then it will become 3.5G if they started to give 4.5Mb/sec, which is atleast very far,

and i hope u mean by capital B is bits not bytes coz no operator in the world provide 4.5Mbyte/sec. :)

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

and i hope u mean by capital B is bits not bytes coz no operator in the world provide 4.5Mbyte/sec.
[/quote]

Well operators in the world do provide 4.5 MBps like NTT in Japan which provides 100mbps (bit)

its just that in Pakistan 4.5 MBps will take 6 or 7 years more to come

no then it will become 3.5G if they started to give 4.5Mb/sec, which is atleast very far,

and i hope u mean by capital B is bits not bytes coz no operator in the world provide 4.5Mbyte/sec. :)

[/quote]

3G technologies enable network operators to offer users a wider range of more advanced services while achieving greater network capacity through improved spectral efficiency. Services include wide-area wireless voice telephony and broadband wireless data, all in a mobile environment. Typically, they provide service at 5-10 Mb per second.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3G

check this link 3G Speed Check on Cingular Blackjack

in this video speed is

First one : 542KB/sec

2 : 465KB/sec

3 : 973KB/sec

4 : 685KB/sec

5 : 934KB/sec

I thank telenor 3G speed provide in pakistan is 500KB/sec to 1024KB/sec

and most instructing how much telenor cast per MB

^ this aint japan bro. our operators are too lazy to get something new over here. They hardly upgrade their systems once every 10 years. like companies are starting EDGE networks right now, when every other operator in the world is installing 3.5/4G infrastructure.

Some companies like Wateen, even got the latest technology, but they dont have the expertise or the good-enough-man-power to handle their services. so thats how it is over here.

^ this aint japan bro. our operators are too lazy to get something new over here. They hardly upgrade their systems once every 10 years. like companies are starting EDGE networks right now, when every other operator in the world is installing 3.5/4G infrastructure.

Some companies like Wateen, even got the latest technology, but they dont have the expertise or the good-enough-man-power to handle their services. so thats how it is over here.

[/quote]

Now china mobile in china introduce 4G in China so we will hope china Mobile do some thing in pakistan

You can check you own mobile operator GPRS/EDGE Speed check

Click Here

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed

I'm lost: where in the article does it say that Telenor will launch 3G soon? The PTA is YET to auction the licenses - and until that's not done, we can't comment who's going to bring us the 3G juice.

well i dont think Japanis are normal human being :D they are out of world they are 10 years ahead of normal persons, they were using color fones when every one was using monochrome screen's and so on,

the highest which i came to know is 7.5mBIT 3.5G networks in europe, so thats why i said that 4.5mBYTE is currently not available. to achieve 4.5 mega Byte/sec connection they have to provide atleast 40 mega bits connection which will be only possible in HSPA+ networks which are not yet implimented, and iam not talking about Japan.

I dont expect 3G data services in Pakistan for at least 3-5 years. The operators have yet to recover any significant costs of implementing their huge networks and neither have they come close to saturating their data pipes. Until there is a killer application (vga quality video calling, voip) that is unleashed and is available on the majority of mobile phone sets, there is no viable reason for them to introduce 3G.

The current killer-app Mobile TV, in its current form sucks and is too expensive. In order for it to gain any traction, at the very least, the following would have to happen:

(1) The average Pakistani would have a phone compatible with rich media applications (high resolution screen, decent processor speed, 3G chipset)

(2) Data rates outbound to the internet and intranet would have to fall significantly (who wants to pay Rs. 100 per half hour?) thus endangering their current fat Data services margins.

I don't think its about to happen and the Telenor press activities are just hype.

As I said, where in the article does it say that Telenor will launch 3G? The launch depends on PTA's auctioning of the licenses.

And as far as launching 3G is concerned, they haven't managed to get the appropriate speeds on EDGE, so I don't see how 3G will achieve it's expected data rate. Last night, I was using Telenor's EDGE - apparently, downloading a file (1MB) on my phone gave me an avg. transfer speed of 10-15KB/s, with occasional jumps to 20KB/sec.

No company can launch 3G without bid.

But i also say that telenor is going to launch 3.5G in november 2008.(there is secret and another story how telenor is so confirm to launch 3G without bid)

Will any company be interested to launch 3G or 3G+ as this type high tech users are very less in Pakistan as compare to Japan Europe. If they still launch 3G+ than they will charge lot to cover thier huge investment. I said very less in Pakistan becuase we have very low literacy rate. Even literate peoples may not interested to have such high tech or not ready to pay.

Will any company be interested to launch 3G or 3G+ as this type high tech users are very less in Pakistan as compare to Japan Europe. If they still launch 3G+ than they will charge lot to cover thier huge investment. I said very less in Pakistan becuase we have very low literacy rate. Even literate peoples may not interested to have such high tech or not ready to pay.
[/quote]

every company is interested to launch 3G , in pakistan currently all companies are at 2.5G and they will get license for 3.5G , 4G is in testing and is only being used in japan and in pakistan in pakistan by wateen.

u are right that 3G services are not cheap :D

every company is interested to launch 3G , in pakistan currently all companies are at 2.5G and they will get license for 3.5G , 4G is in testing and is only being used in japan and in pakistan in pakistan by wateen.

u are right that 3G services are not cheap :D

[/quote]

And how many mobile users will utilize such high tech? I dont think so more than 5% of mobile users.

and most of them will be post paid users. also video calling will not be cheap.

Bogus post. There was a recent mobile convention in Karachi and PTA put forward and open license to all mobile operators to start 3G but telenor blatantly refused by saying Pakistan has no market for that.

Bogus post. There was a recent mobile convention in Karachi and PTA put forward and open license to all mobile operators to start 3G but telenor blatantly refused by saying Pakistan has no market for that.
[/quote]

That what i saying, Pakistan has no fairly good market and it would not be easy for those companies to earn or atleast payback thier investment.

well people can use 3g services as a normal broadband connection if the packages are unlimited and they wont have to rely on companies like wateen and they will be getting wireless internet where dsl or cable cant reach

isn't that good enough reason for a mobile company to launch 3g services?