Teledensity will decrease to 50%

Teledensity in Pakistan will decrease by 50%.

Mobile phone companies are going to ban unregistered sims.

source :

http://jang.com.pk/jang/apr2008-daily/24-04-2008/mulkbharse/nat4.gif

Decrease by 50%?

You know, that literally means that the actual densiry will be near 25% or so

And I doubt they'll ban - or if they do, they'll be reluctant - because it's a revenue stream - and companies would not want to shut down their revenue streams.

And this news has been lingering on for months now.

Cellular companies would be on their knees in no time if this step is to be taken anytime soon.. It might be work if the action is taken slowly and gradually. Like banning a limited number of unregistered sims per month etc

what if someone buys the sim and gives the shopkeeper a copy of his nic number and all the information required and still its not transferred on his name?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

what if someone buys the sim and gives the shopkeeper a copy of his nic number and all the information required and still its not transferred on his name?
[/quote]

same thing happened with me.

I m too lazy to go Bussiness center, and warid is not offering sim transfer on their franchises.

Right.

In related news, banks have announced they'll start being honest about the amount of money in accounts that is reported to the government before the tax deadline every year. They are no longer allow people to make pay orders to themselves and cash them a day after the tax deadline.

Illegality, it its many forms in Pakistan, is not an exception to the rule, it is the rule.

[/quote]

They’ve been running ads in newspapers warning people of incorrect registration information for more than a month now. People just had to send a blank sms to a number (maybe 667) and they’d be able to see who is registered as the sim owner, and in case it was incorrect, they warned you to have it corrected or get it blocked.

They’ve been running ads in newspapers warning people of incorrect registration information for more than a month now. People just had to send a blank sms to a number (maybe 667) and they’d be able to see who is registered as the sim owner, and in case it was incorrect, they warned you to have it corrected or get it blocked.

[/quote]

i have a sim which i bought directly from a shop but it is in the name of some other person and if i am right then you need a application from that person to get it transferred to your name

btw where are warid business centres in karachi?

i have a sim which i bought directly from a shop but it is in the name of some other person and if i am right then you need a application from that person to get it transferred to your name

[/quote]

That’s the problem isn’t it! All these companies give out thousands of sims in the shopowners name that he in turn sells to other people, and since most of us buy sims from those shops, we have sims in the name of someone else. And even though we give a copy of NIC to the shop guy, the ownership never transfers unless we do it manually by going to the main office and filling out a form.

That’s the problem isn’t it! All these companies give out thousands of sims in the shopowners name that he in turn sells to other people, and since most of us buy sims from those shops, we have sims in the name of someone else. And even though we give a copy of NIC to the shop guy, the ownership never transfers unless we do it manually by going to the main office and filling out a form.

[/quote]

ya the shopkeepers dont care about it they only care about their money

btw where are warid business centres in karachi?
[/quote]

Shara-e-Faisal, near LAL Kothi

The other Warid Business Center is opp. Forum in Clifton.

Mobilink has one near Gizri / Delhi Colony

Telenor has theirs at the Do-Talwar Roundabout.

Illegal SIMs: PTA directed to issue notices to cell phone companies

ISLAMABAD (April 27 2008): Senate Standing Committee on Interior has directed the Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to impose Rs 350 million fine on each mobile company, if they fail in deactivating 7.454 million unauthorised SIMs by May 22.

"We directed the PTA to issue show-cause notices to cell phone companies on May 22 and impose fine of Rs 350 million each along with cancellation of licenses, if they don't comply with the regulator's directives", said Senator Muhammad Talha Mehmood, chairman of the committee while briefing the newsmen about the decisions of the committee.

He said that a privilege motion will be moved in the Senate against the cell phone companies upon failure to submit an audit reports. "An income tax officer or an auditor can demand this report which they have resisted submitting in the Senate Committee and we will take stern action against these companies", he said, adding: "The audit report will reveal the investment they have made in Pakistan and what they have taken back so far."

A four-member committee consisting of Secretary Interior, Secretary Information Technology, Nadra chairman, and PTA chairman was constituted to streamline the matters regarding the unauthorised SIMs and other procedures, said Talha Mehmood, adding that, at present, 7,453,508 unauthorised SIMs are active in the country.

He said that cell phone companies were asked to present monthly statement of SIMs issued, verified and action taken against unverified SIMs to PTA, while the PTA was directed to probe into major lapses in issuance and distribution of SIMs. He said the PTA should obtain appropriate guarantees from the companies before issuing the licenses.

He said the mobile companies were also directed to register and verify about 3.5 million SIMs before June 30. If they fail to meet this target now they will face PTA action in the shape of fine of Rs 350 million per company. "We will cancel the licenses of the mobile phone companies if they fail to follow the procedures and fulfill the requirements", said Talha Mehmood.

He said the cell phone companies were directed not to activate any SIM without proper verification and only 10 SIMs would be given on one name, adding that the companies were asked to register the satellite phone and no satellite phone be given without following registration procedures.

He said the cell phones are major means of communication by criminals and terrorists who invariably use unauthorised SIMs not registered in their names and this practice needs to be brought to an end.

He said the committee has asked cell phone companies to deactivate the all unverified SIMs which remain untraced. The process of verification of all SIMs be completed within four weeks. All the cell phone companies should develop online verification system with nadra and not issue SIMs without verification, he added.

The committee asked the PTA and cell phone companies to develop software to monitor the issuance of multiple SIMs on the same name, he said, adding that the committee also asked to sell SIMs through authorised outlets only.

The Senate Committee met in Parliament House on Saturday morning with Senator Talha Mehmood in the chair while senators, Raziq Khan, Gulshan Saeed, Sadia Abbasi, Dr Abdul Khaliq Peerzada attended the meeting. Secretary Interior Syed Kamal Shah, Secretary IT Hafizur Rehman, Chairman Nadra Saleem Moeen and Chairman PTA were also present in the meeting.

http://www.brecorder.com/index.php?id=728298&currPageNo=1&query=&search=&term=&supDate=

PTA unlikely to block all unregistered SIMs by deadline

LAHORE: Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) officials doubt that they would meet the deadline of May 22 set by the Senate's Standing Committee on Telecom Affairs to block all unregistered mobile phone Subscriber Identity Modules (SIMs) in the country.

PTA Public Relations Deputy Director Khurram Ali Mehran told Daily Times on Monday that the deadline was set by the Standing Committee and not by the PTA. He said the authority was working to achieve the objective by May 22, but said he could not confirm if the objective could be achieved by then.

He said that the PTA has already blocked 1.4 million SIMs and that the process of verifying unregistered SIMs was underway and would be completed soon.

Following various terrorist attacks, the PTA decided to direct all mobile phone operators to collect all users' complete data. It also asked all franchises and sale points of mobile phone SIMs to attach a copy of every customer's computerised national identity card (CNIC), two references and a utility bill before selling the person a SIM. The authority has asked the telecom companies to take action against the franchises and sub-agents found violating the instructions.

'What deadline?' PTA Zonal Director Col ® Nayyar Hassan said that his vigilance team and he had sealed a large number of franchises and outlets where SIMs were being sold without proper documentation. However, he said he did not know about any deadline having been set to block unregistered SIMs.

Talking to Daily Times, an official of a mobile phone operator said, "It is almost impossible to ensure complete uniformity [of documentation]." He said SIMs were being sold at hundreds of sale points that include bake shops, pan shops, general stores, pharmacies and even milk shops. He said most of the salesmen were illiterate which was a major problem in the proper documentation procedure.

Complete documentation not possible: The official said that another problem was that not everyone in the country had a CNIC and most of the population was still using old NICs, which could not be verified according to the PTA's standard operating procedures.

"Identity theft is another major problem," he said, adding that many fake CNICs were available in various markets and people were registering SIMs using those CNICs. He said all mobile phone operators were facing this problem because of the huge backlog of CNIC verifications at the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA).

PTA Chairman Shahzada Alam Khan was not available for comment.

* Senate Standing Committee has set May 22 as deadline

* PTA has blocked 1.4 million unregistered SIMs

* PTA zonal chief says he has not been informed of the deadline

* Telecom official says complete documentation not possible

Report By Hasan Ali

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2008%5C05%5C20%5Cstory_20-5-2008_pg13_4

How wud they know that a person using a sim is the person to whom the sim is registered.

Like if a sim is registered in Mr. X's name, and now Ms. Y is using it, what they can do abt it

How wud they know that a person using a sim is the person to whom the sim is registered.

Like if a sim is registered in Mr. X’s name, and now Ms. Y is using it, what they can do abt it

[/quote]

I dont think they really care, my father had a sim registered on someone else’s name. i went to ufone’s office and gave them a copy of my fathers nic with the number written on it. the guy looked at it and said ok its done you can go now.

When i saw this i think people can really exploit this, what if i like a number and i go give him my nic with the number written on it, it will be transferred on my name without any verification then all i need is to go to their office and claim another sim by telling them my sim got lost or something.

They do ask for the sim jacket sometimes, but not in my case.

ufone has started registration by sms, nice move.

but i have warid. :(

My Telenor SIM: my ID card number is correct, but the spelling of my names... are awful!