Surge protector

Please recommend any Surge protector for using with a Pc.

The PC power supply has already one which is built-in. That is how it lasts for a long time.

If you want to add external surge protection, make sure the response time is faster than the built-in surge protection otherwise it would be of no use. You can get surge protector power extention from market, buy some branded one which will hopefully work in case a surge arrives.

It will be installed to protect any surge caused by the Desi UPS, so should I use a SP or a voltage regulator ?

[quote=“yousaf465, post:3, topic:16663”]

It will be installed to protect any surge caused by the Desi UPS, so should I use a SP or a voltage regulator ?

[/quote]

Of no use, may be. Desi UPS also has fuses which melts when voltage or current is above than specified rating.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:3, topic:16663”]

[/quote]

Local made UPS may produce lots of spikes - so a surge protector is recommended. You don’t need stabilizer since the PC power supply already has a wide input range - so in almost all cases, it can work without any external voltage regulator.

[quote=“blogger, post:4, topic:16663”]

Desi UPS also has fuses which melts when voltage or current is above than specified rating.
[/quote]

Fuse is a very slow acting protection device. Fuse is useful only to protect such loads which can withstand over current for quite a few seconds. PC Power Supply has semiconductors inside which burn in milli seconds should an over voltage spike occur. The fuse will do nothing in such a case and you will be left with a clean and intact fuse and a blown up PC power supply.

[quote=", post:6, topic:16663"]

Fuse is a very slow acting protection device. Fuse is useful only to protect such loads which can withstand over current for quite a few seconds. PC Power Supply has semiconductors inside which burn in milli seconds should an over voltage spike occur. The fuse will do nothing in such a case and you will be left with a clean and intact fuse and a blown up PC power supply.

[/quote]

That’s the reason Europeans are afraid of solar storms. B)

[quote=", post:5, topic:16663"]

Local made UPS may produce lots of spikes - so a surge protector is recommended. You don’t need stabilizer since the PC power supply already has a wide input range - so in almost all cases, it can work without any external voltage regulator.

[/quote]

Any specific brand of surge protector ? e.g any of these http://www.belkin.com

[quote=“yousaf465, post:8, topic:16663”]

Any specific brand of surge protector ? e.g any of these http://www.belkin.com

[/quote]

I have no idea of locally available brands.

Belkin seems a good choice, are these available in local shops ?

[quote=", post:9, topic:16663"]

I have no idea of locally available brands.

Belkin seems a good choice, are these available in local shops ?

[/quote]

I did saw one of these at hafeez center.

Asad can you recommend any brand you know of ?

No. Never needed to use a surge protector separately.

[quote=“Asad, post:11, topic:16663”]

No. Never needed to use a surge protector separately.

[/quote]

What should I use for protecting my pc and External HD from any surge caused by my desi UPS.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:12, topic:16663”]

What should I use for protecting my pc and External HD from any surge caused by my desi UPS.

[/quote]

get ولایتی UPS :D

Basically, this is a device that sits between your PC or other electronic equipment and the electrical mains (AC) outlet (ie, wall plug) and protects your equipment's power supply (and possibly communications lines) from electrical surges. Any power from the mains must pass through the surge protector to reach your gear. A surge protector regulates the current to connected equipment by either blocking or shorting to ground any "unsafe" voltage.

Usually set up in a "strip" or box form, surge protectors have several power outlets to plug into. Better versions will also have at least one data outlet to protect a telephone, fax machine or modem as these are also in danger from a nasty surge of electricity through a phone line.