Supreme Court chucks out ban, rules kites will fly

Link: http://tribune.com.pk/story/350957/supreme-court-chucks-out-ban-rules-kites-will-fly/

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
LAHORE: A two-member bench of the Supreme Court on Friday denied a petitioner’s request for imposition of a ban on kite-flying ruling that the activity should be regulated, not prohibited.

A sport cannot be blamed if a person playing it dies, noted Justice Mian Saqib Nisar.

People die in traffic accidents but driving has not been banned, he said, adding that cricket would not be banned if someone were to die after being hit with the ball.

The court had taken suo motu notice in 2005 on Shehzad Ahmed Sheikh’s application. Sheikh, the father of a 28-year-old man whose vocal cords suffered irreparable damage after his throat was slit by kite strong, prayed the court to impose a “complete ban” on kite flying.

Earlier, Advocate Qamar Zaman Qureshi, counsel for the Kite Flying Association, appearing on Friday submitted that kite flying was regulated under the Punjab Prohibition of Kite Flying Ordinance 2001. Justice Tasadduq Hussain Jilani, the head of the bench, asked him who had stopped his clients from flying kites to which Qureshi replied that the activity had been banned in 2010 by the Lahore High Court. At this, Justice Jilani said that kite-flying should continue, but in accordance with the law. “What remains to be seen is whether the number of deaths [caused from kite flying] declines as a result of regulation,” he said.

An additional advocate general – who had been asked by the court to apprise it about the condition of the petitioner’s son and the steps taken by the Punjab government for his treatment – told the court that the man could be treated in Pakistan. “He is under treatment at Children’s Hospital and recovering,” said the AAG.

Hearing this, Justice Saqib Nisar remarked that he was pleased to know that the man could receive the required treatment in Pakistan. He then asked the AAG how much compensation had the family been paid by the government. The law officer said that the government had given Rs500,000 to the family. He said that according to Sheikh, he had spent Rs1.5 million on his son’s treatment. The AAG said that he would try his best to persuade the government to pay additional compensation to the family.

The court then disposed of the case for having borne fruit.

[/quote]

Interesting decision.

thats just plain stupid ,

kites should be banned permanently , the result of this sport or whatever it is , is never good...

Agreed with ShoukaT kite flying should remain banned inside the city, In past Kite flying was only limited to people who know how to fly kites, that was good, but today every Tom Dick and Harry thinks that if they can buy it they can also fly it, as a result innocent people are dying, also traffic has been increased much.

I see no harm in kite flying so long as it is regulated to prevent the use of metal wire and/or chemical 'dor'. Are you guys afraid of going outside, away from your computers and getting a nice tan? :D:P

Limiting kite flying to certain places like public parks could work too. A whole ecosystem providing jobs revolves around this activity. There is no point to banning it when strict regulation could just as well be used to prevent mishaps while allowing the ecosystem to exist.

As it stands, we are an entertainment starved country. This is the country where the capital city has no cinema and where slightest snowfall in the despicable overcrowded place called Murree attracts people from all over the country. <_< The nation, as a whole, needs healthy avenues of entertainment to relieve stresses of all kinds. The more such avenues, the better.

I love flying kites and I still do though its been 3 or 4 years since I have flown one but I also think the way poeple do things here in PK with respect to flying kites is highly dangerous. Banning kite flying is simplest way (and IMO it should be banned) but if banning kite flying altogether doesn't seem just then it should be heavily regulated at least.

Strict rules should be made with heavy fines and jail time should be served as penalties if regulation are not observed. But then nipping the evil in the bud sounds very safer then to expect obedience of law from evil.

People kill people, cars or kites don't.

Strict exmaples need to be made. Kite shops and associated trades can always be regulated with threat of high fines and lengthy imprisonment term for any violation(s). Ofcourse, the restrictions must be reasonable and not disproportionate.

@Asad

جدوں لاہور شہر دا بندہ کہ ریا کہ بند کرو تے تینو کی پیڑ اے؟

You can fly as many kites you like in Islamabad. :rolleyes:

[quote=", post:7, topic:16752"]

@Asad

جدوں لاہور شہر دا بندہ کہ ریا کہ بند کرو تے تینو کی پیڑ اے؟

You can fly as many kites you like in Islamabad. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

What gave you the right to represent the entirety of Lahore? Or are you Khadim-e-Ala’s sidekick? :P

A discussion can have numerous opinions. Your’s is just one of them.

@Asad

seriously bro , things go out of hand when you allow such things ,

no matter what you do sh!t happens... who follows rules in Pakistan , our president doesnt and you expect that from local awam...

you are talking about banning chemical wire for flying but the other simple thread door is also very very sharp nowadays , atleast sharp enough to slit throats...

if you are still not convinced may i suggest you pay visit to Families of the victims of this stupid thing , ask them whether it should be allowed or not..

it should stay banned for ever ,its not just the sharpness of the strings used , even many traffic accidents happen because there are little children trying to loot kites on busy roads... kids fall from roofs...

whatever one says , one cant simply justify this thing in a City ,

if one is dying out of craving for kites , he can go to country side and fly kites in open fields where there is no busy roads or population nearby... and i m sure no one would have a problem with that...

[quote=“Asad, post:8, topic:16752”]

What gave you the right to represent the entirety of Lahore? Or are you Khadim-e-Ala’s sidekick? :P

A discussion can have numerous opinions. Your’s is just one of them.

[/quote]

Well that’s what i asked, why you wanna restore kite flying in Lahore? So that innocent citizens may get killed? even many kids were slaughtered. Flying RC Planes and Flying Kites are different things :unsure:

@Shoukat: A ban means no kite production, no public sale and hence no flying inside or outside the city. I never opposed restricting kite flying to certain places. That could be a valid solution to all this.

If such a ban must happen, it should be uniform. Lets ban cars, motorbikes, rikshas/chingchi and cycles because thousands of people die in road accidents. Lets also ban cricket bats because they are used in protests. How about knives? They can be used for murder. Ban matchsticks and lighters to prevent arson? Ban cloth and glass/bottle production because clothing rags could be used for those infamous petrol bombs? Lets also ban fertilizers because ill intentioned people can use it for making IEDs. There is no limit to banning and the whole premise of banning is flawed. Banning is a stopgap measure and not very effective. KItes can still be seen flying in both Rawalpindi and Lahore. Ultimately, those who can afford to fly kites and celebrate associated events still do so but the common man is deprived of it.

Kite flying should be made safe to minimize any untoward incident instead of banning it altogether. My perspective is the same as the court's. Regulate it instead of banning it.

^ and it was yesterday we were bashing government for regulating internet? :P

Well, if we're talking about opinions. Then IMO kite-flying shouldn't be banned, and i say that even though I've never flown a single kite in my life. The reason? it's because I'm a man of freedom, and i believe in complete freedom, and will never support any kind of ban whatsoever. Though for the safety of others. I'd say they should ban the dangerous "doris", and replace them with something safer. And i guess they could ban it's use in very crowded areas. Other safety precautions can also be taken into consideration.

Also, the people supporting such bans should realize that not everyone has a PC, phone etc to pass their time. Let me remind you that we live in Pakistan, and the majority of people here are poor, they have to settle for kites & lattoos...

This horrible act of kite flying cannot be regulated and imagine how police gonna check every person whether he's using chemical wire "dorr" or not.

We have butchers on the name of entertainment in Pakistan. For their few minutes entertainment they will risk other people's life.

1. Kite flying.

2. Motor bike wheeling.

3. Drunk people who get out of party's and hit people with their cars.

And many more examples through which it could be proved that these insanes use the name of entertainment for hurting others. First make this crowd a nation then think about such entertainment.

Lets start poll on it.

One thing I forgot:

There are millions of people who are trading narcotics. I have heard many times that if govt. bans them totally then how they gonna survive?

Do we need such entertainment and businesses which could harm the community?

[quote=“Upsilon, post:13, topic:16752”]

Also, the people supporting such bans should realize that not everyone has a PC, phone etc to pass their time. Let me remind you that we live in Pakistan, and the majority of people here are poor, they have to settle for kites & lattoos…

[/quote]

They could play badminton, cricket, football or some other sport.

They could also read some book. Start gardening.

OR

Volunteer themselves in free time. e.g. They could teach younger one’s.

OR

They can also sleep and take some rest after their busy scheduals.

Why we need to cut others throat for our entertainment?

[quote=“Asad, post:11, topic:16752”]

@Shoukat: A ban means no kite production, no public sale and hence no flying inside or outside the city. I never opposed restricting kite flying to certain places. That could be a valid solution to all this.

If such banning must happen, it should be uniform. Lets ban cars, motorbikes, rikshas/chingchi and cycles because thousands of people die in road accidents. Lets also ban cricket bats because they are used in protests. How about knives? They can be used for murder. Ban matchsticks and lighters to prevent arson? Ban cloth and glass/bottle production because clothing rags could be used for those infamous petrol bombs? Lets also ban fertilizers because ill intentioned people can use it for making IEDs. There is no limit to banning and the whole premise of banning is flawed. Banning is a stopgap measure and not very effective. KItes can still be seen flying in both Rawalpindi and Lahore. Ultimately, those who can afford to fly kites and celebrate associated events still do so but the common man is deprived of it.

Kite flying should be made safe to minimize any untoward incident instead of banning it altogether. My perspective is the same as the court’s. Regulate it instead of banning it.

[/quote]

lol all the things you mentioned above are now necessities of our lives and lol you forgot to mention GUNS , thats just a lame point , if we start banning all those things life will be jammed

kites have been banned for quite a time now , tell me how many people’s life was jammed except for those who made kites and strings for them… and imagine how many were saved by banning it…

the value of a life saved or taken can never be measured , its just us Pakistani’s who have become numb and give no sh!t about other human’s life cuz its no big deal for us now as everyday people die in blasts etc etc

i dont say BAN the kites altogether , if someone wants to do it then let them do it but far far away from city or any place where other people can be hurt… but the prob is , if the production starts again even for flying in safe zones , we all know that people will start flying in populated areas again…

[quote=“Upsilon, post:13, topic:16752”]

Well, if we’re talking about opinions. Then IMO kite-flying shouldn’t be banned, and i say that even though I’ve never flown a single kite in my life. The reason? it’s because I’m a man of freedom, and i believe in complete freedom, and will never support any kind of ban whatsoever. Though for the safety of others. I’d say they should ban the dangerous “doris”, and replace them with something safer. And i guess they could ban it’s use in very crowded areas. Other safety precautions can also be taken into consideration.

Also, the people supporting such bans should realize that not everyone has a PC, phone etc to pass their time. Let me remind you that we live in Pakistan, and the majority of people here are poor, they have to settle for kites & lattoos…

[/quote]

lol totally people will follow the rules , like they did with chemical doris and metal wires when they were clearly banned … :)

then i guess hawai firing should also be allowed as it doesnt hurt anyone , “mostly” …

[quote=“Imran, post:15, topic:16752”]

They could play badminton, cricket, football or some other sport.

They could also read some book. Start gardening.

OR

Volunteer themselves in free time. e.g. They could teach younger one’s.

OR

They can also sleep and take some rest after their busy scheduals.

Why we need to cut others throat for our entertainment?

[/quote]

Ditto , very true…

there are better and CHEAPER things to do in life than flying kites with sharp strings and putting other people’s lives in danger…

Good decision by Supreme Court..it shoulnd't be banned but should be regulated.

Anyways, court has made its decision but one thing I am surprised at is the court used the analogy 'A sport cannot be blamed if a person playing it dies, noted Justice Mian Saqib Nisar.'

I mean its an analogy but a very stupid one specially coming from judges who are expected to be rational.

Most sport happen in closed areas, fairly large but still closed. chance of poeple dying or getting hurt seriously or otherwise are purely accidental and restricted to that closed area.

People drive cars on road and chances of dying are on the road not at home or at roofs of your home.

where as kite flying is not restricted to any closed area due to the very nature of kite flying and makes it even more dangerous rather the being an entertainment with the special way of how and why we flying them in PK in first place i.e. to do the "pechaa". which requires the threads (dor) to be mixed with powdered glass for sharpness to cut other flying kites which also, the normal common thread has been replaced over the years by the plastic thread commonly used for fishing to add strength so it shouldn't break. So it doesn't matter if you're on your roof top just watch and enjoy kite flying or are on the road on a bicycle, motorbike or any open air vehicle. you are always at the risk of getting killed or getting seriously injured. And the mostly IRONIC thing about it that you can't even pinpoint who made you seriously injured or worse because you don't and can't know. Which we all know is not the case with car accident or such accident happening in other sports.

And how didn't the court dismissed the fact that with kite flying, comes with heavy weapon firing in the air be it celebratory or because animosity , power outages due to use of metal threads destroying electrical transformers causing black outs. Kids use rods (most of the metal rods) to catch stray kites or use metal threads and end up electricuting themselves and potentially, others around in contact.

I still can't grasp that 'A sport cannot be blamed if a person playing it dies, noted Justice Mian Saqib Nisar.' analogy over rules things mentioned above just like? I can bet none of the judges have lost their loved ones in kite flying incidents otherwise they wouldn't have lift the ban just like that, at least not on that non-related childish and stupid analogy/argument...

good decision but if it is limited to bay areas parks and at sea sides NOT on rooftops and this so called supreme court should also make ensure through Police that no body sell chemical wires to anyone...because life is more impotent than 3 or 4 hours of fun