Supplements Store in Karachi?

Hello all..

Does anybody know any bodybuilding supplements stores in Karachi selling imported Whey Protein brands like Optimum Nutrition ??? Any info will be helpful....thanks

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Hello all…

Does anybody know any bodybuilding supplements stores in Karachi selling imported Whey Protein brands like Optimum Nutrition ??? Any info will be helpful…thanks

[/quote]

They’re short in supply all over Pakistan. Try at local chemists in late July or August if you want ON. In Rawalpindi/Islamabad, D. Watson, Willson, and Shaheen Chemists usually have these supplements.

If you want to order via phone from Lahore, try Imtiaz Fitness (http://www.imtiazfitness.com/) - email and ask them for their local dealer’s contact number. It’s usually Mr. Tariq who deals in it.

P.S. you don’t really need these unless it’s just to add cosmetic illusionary value to the gym. Most of the Pakistanis are pure ectomorphs and they need nothing besides carbohydrate and protein rich whole food. All they need to do is eat a lot of food - meat, milk, eggs, bread, pasta, noodles, our normal range of pakistani curries, fruits and juices, etc. Ectomorphs usually cannot eat much fiber rich vegetables as they’re less in calories but are more filling which hampers the ability to eat more.

Don’t fall into the traps of supplements even if it’s just Whey. You can get 80% Whey in milk with high bio-availability in Milk or the highest bio-availability protein in Eggs (no… NOT raw! Cooked!)

You indirectly helped me too Asad_N. Man I was trying to find supplements in lahore for so long. Although I know that food is better than supplements, but my problem is that I am really underweight and I can't eat as much as I should. And in summer this gets worse as the thirst takes over hunger, and I end up drinking water instead of eating food. And as I never had egg or milk all my life, and rarely eat meat, some calories and protein in liquid form might give me a few kg.

You indirectly helped me too Asad_N. Man I was trying to find supplements in lahore for so long. Although I know that food is better than supplements, but my problem is that I am really underweight and I can’t eat as much as I should. And in summer this gets worse as the thirst takes over hunger, and I end up drinking water instead of eating food. And as I never had egg or milk all my life, and rarely eat meat, some calories and protein in liquid form might give me a few kg.
[/quote]

Glad to know that you found it helpful. :) Just like the progression with anything, you will have to build your appetite slowly. Just keep adding more food at least bi-weekly (twice a week). For example, increase your milk consumption from a cup to 1 and a half cup or eat 1/2 or 3/4 of more roti.

You can combat the summer thirst problem by drinking more fruit juices (don’t go overboard though - up to 4 glasses is fine in a day), cold milk (try the cheap n’ tasty mango milkshakes!). Switch to warm milk, meat, and eggs in winter.

I definitely would recommend a traditional breakfast of milk, bread and cheese/butter, or cereals. Get your appetite up as a first step, and use weight gainers sparingly. If you get stomach problems, go slow, consult your doctor and get a prescription of digestive enzymes. I usually just get over the counter ones, but it’s always better to consult a doctor.

FYI, researching on fitness is a hobby of mine and all that wealth of knowledge has been accumulated over years through reading and experimenting.

I have very little physical exercise lately, so I started exercise with dumbbells. I hope this will increase my appetite. And as far as eggs go, I have developed kind of a defensive psychological response, which makes me vomit if I eat it (boiled or fried). I have replaced some of my water intake with juices and milk shake, and milk. I bought a protein supplement type thingi (weider) which I used to drink in milk, but it had very little calories. I am going to start eating lots of peanuts as they are very energy rich (and fat as well, which in my case I need a little bit of). I am thinking of getting N-large 2 (Prolab), but if you have some other suggestion of something high in protein and cal (and doesn't taste like crap), please tell.

in addition to asad_n's post.................

do weight training and eat proteins instead of drinking them coz food has thermal effect which helps to boost metabolism even after workout and while sleeping. and since you main priority is to increase weight drink plenty of milk shake in additions to your protein intake.

if you really wanna increase weight you have to train with weights my friend coz after eating these so called supplements it might look you gained weight for time being but eventually you gonna back where you started. you need to put mass on your muscles. when you work out with weights the cells of your muscle which basically are made of protein breaks down and then start to regenerate and at that time you need to consume protein so added protein will help to regenerate cells better.

eat clean and use supplements just as supplement and not as food, i like whey best, used it couple of times, don't use creatine, its totally crap (and i don't mean just the taste). these are the only supplements that i've used so i can only tell you about these.....

happy gaining....... :)

Thanks for suggestions kratos. I know that its best to increase muscle mass instead of just fat, thats why I started the exercises. But as its important to increase protein intake, and especially after workout, I have to include some protein supplement. And "eat clean" part would have to wait till I got back home, as I am currently living in hostel, and you know very well the food of hotels and stuff man... spices and the most unhygienic "ghee" so I am restricted in those choices as well.

I have very little physical exercise lately, so I started exercise with dumbbells. I hope this will increase my appetite. And as far as eggs go, I have developed kind of a defensive psychological response, which makes me vomit if I eat it (boiled or fried). I have replaced some of my water intake with juices and milk shake, and milk. I bought a protein supplement type thingi (weider) which I used to drink in milk, but it had very little calories. I am going to start eating lots of peanuts as they are very energy rich (and fat as well, which in my case I need a little bit of). I am thinking of getting N-large 2 (Prolab), but if you have some other suggestion of something high in protein and cal (and doesn’t taste like crap), please tell.
[/quote]

I assumed you already were doing weight training. As kratos24 pointed it out rightly, it’s important to do weight training if you want to gain more muscle. Or else, you’ll end up gaining lots of useless fat and less muscle.

Try going on a good weight training program but don’t fall for the stupid workouts performance in most of the local gyms. Working out full body 3 times a week will be sufficient. I recommend you to go for Rippetoe’s Starting Strength (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224). You can setup a home gym too if you have 7-8k rupees to spare. (barbells, cheap bench, and weight plates!)

N-Large 2 is good. Go for it or make your own when you need more control and have more time:

- 2 glasses of milk

- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil

- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (American Garden or Home Brand - you can get them in supermarkets) OR 20 almonds

- 2 small bananas

- 1 scoop of ON 100% Whey Gold Standard (try double rich chocolate for this recipe … or banana flavor if you cannot find that)

It tastes good :)

Edit: Just read about the hostel part. Definitely go for weight gainers if that is the case. Keep almonds, cashews, and walnuts for crunching times.

@ Asad-Ahmad... in lahore u have GNC.. they deal in quality supplements and nutrients

LAHORE ORDERING CENTER

125 UPPER MALL

LAHORE

Pakistan

Phone: 92.300.573.2310

LAHORE PAKISTAN AL-HAFEEZ TOWERS

26-1 M.M. ALAM ROAD

LAHORE PAKISTAN

Pakistan

Phone: 042-5785380

LAHORE PAKISTAN DHA COMMERCIAL AREA PHASE

180-Y SHA COPMMERCIAL ARE

LAHORE PAKISTAN

Pakistan

Phone: 042-5785380

+Like said above ...You only need supplements if ur a hard gainer..i.e you eat 12 times a day but still cant gain weight no matter how hard u lift. IF thats not the case then u shld just stick with the routine ur trainer tells you.

If ur a hard gainer... u need to go the first month without any supplements.. for supplements to work u need to lift heavy weights, so the first month should be concentrated at work ..u wont see any immediate gains in the first 2or 3 months but being patient will help, it takes some time for improvment so dont give up.. start with 1 scoop of ON Gold Standard whey after every work out.. then after 15 days take it to 1 scoop at breakfast and 1 after workout.. and yes... dont forget the most imp thing when working out.. SLEEP WELL.. U need atleast 8 hrs of sleep for ur workout routine to take effect.

one more thing.. if u shop at GNC, they ON whey as well as their own GNC Whey.. go for ON, cuz its cheaper, a little bit better than GNC and dissolves easily when mixed with liquids.. GNC whey sticks like silly putty to the base and u have to stir it like 'Kuaukab Khawaja' to dissolve it completely :P and dont go for the creatine + whey stack... no matter how hard the shopkeeper tries to sell creatine like Cell Mass etc.. creatine = not good.. on the other hand Whey is natural and harmless.

to gain muscle u have to do 3 things.

--weight lift (divide upper body exercises in 3 parts, keep lower body exercise seperate)

--eat right

--sleep well

before starting weightlifting go to a experienced weightlifting expert and ask around (research on net) on how to start building mass. If u stop lifting weights later in life u may get a little chunky (like me sadly but i will get it off)..and if u dont lift weights in a 2 or 3 weeks u feel really lethargic so u have to keep lifting weights.

i have never taken any supplements in my life except for over the counter vitamins. One of the best books i have read is of arnold swarzeneggar and his weight lifting regimen i like to follow that.

if u really want the supplements though bolton market should have them,,all the shopkeepers go their to get their stuff in karachi

And what if someone wants to lose weight :/ working a 9 to 9 job :(

dude i m thin as a kanta.... i wana know do these supliments work?? or do they have side effects???

@midhat ... Whey works for weight loss too :)

@sk90y... These supplements work only if u work out regularly..If you work our regularly u might not even need one..Whey Based protein Supplements have no side effects.. Supplements such as creatine , nitrox etc have some side effects.

I assumed you already were doing weight training.
[/quote]

Kind of. Well I started push ups three weak ago, and then isolated muscle exercises with dumbbells a weak ago (upper body only).

Try going on a good weight training program but don’t fall for the stupid workouts performance in most of the local gyms. Working out full body 3 times a week will be sufficient. I recommend you to go for Rippetoe’s Starting Strength (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224). You can setup a home gym too if you have 7-8k rupees to spare. (barbells, cheap bench, and weight plates!)
[/quote]

Thanks for the link, I’ll start this one instead then. I’ll have to exclude setting up a Home Gym option because of the reason mentioned, and apart from that almost all the exercises can be done with dumbbells.

N-Large 2 is good. Go for it or make your own when you need more control and have more time:

- 2 glasses of milk

- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil

- 3 tablespoons peanut butter (American Garden or Home Brand - you can get them in supermarkets) OR 20 almonds

- 2 small bananas

- 1 scoop of ON 100% Whey Gold Standard (try double rich chocolate for this recipe … or banana flavor if you cannot find that)

It tastes good :)

[/quote]

This seems feasible and easy to make, but for now I’ll get nlarge chocolate flavoured.

Edit: Just read about the hostel part. Definitely go for weight gainers if that is the case. Keep almonds, cashews, and walnuts for crunching times.
[/quote]

I have got almonds and peanuts, I am thinking of getting cashews too. Thanks for all the suggestions buddy. BTW do you know of any food that might increase my appetite?

Like said above …You only need supplements if ur a hard gainer…i.e you eat 12 times a day but still cant gain weight no matter how hard u lift
[/quote]

Nah man, I never ate that much to conclude if I am a hard gainer or not, which I really doubt. I used to get one-time meal, which I would then eat two times with still spare, and thats it. Sometimes I drank 1/2L milk or juice. But now I have increased my intake a little bit. Thanks for mentioning GNC, Imtiaz was too far from here, but GNC is closer. 125 Upper mall would be near Gym khana?

before starting weightlifting go to a experienced weightlifting expert and ask around (research on net) on how to start building mass
[/quote]

Going to someone experienced part is something that I might not to do, but have done a lot of research on net. But then again, I have to eat enough, which is the problem for me, so supplements might help me out here. Another advantage of supplements is that I can drink them quickly, as compared to food which I’ll take half an hour just to eat 1/2 small size pizza.

if u really want the supplements though bolton market should have them,all the shopkeepers go their to get their stuff in karachi
[/quote]

I am in lahore, so bolton market (assuming it is in karachi) is not a choice for me. But on top of GNC and Imtiaz in lahore, if you know of any other shop which keeps original imported supplements, that’ll be helpful.

BTW do you know of any food that might increase my appetite?
[/quote]

Not really. But skip acidic stuff like lemons, oranges, carrot juices etc. as it turns off appetite. Moreover, you should get the least amount of pepper and spices - they’re helpful in the cutting process but an ectomorph doesn’t need them in building. Drinking more and more milk or milkshake and juices is an easy way to fire up appetite in the long term. You already know about the nuts being calorie dense yet requiring quite a lot of eating for satiety.

All in all, the most important factor is to eat small meals throughout the day. 3 big meals coupled with 3 snacks should be a good start.

And what if someone wants to lose weight :confused: working a 9 to 9 job :(
[/quote]

You can always go for jogging or buy an exercise bike or if you can afford buy treadmill and start burning your calories at home. Avoid all sorts of fast food (pizza, McDonalds, KFC etc etc), too much dairy (yogurt, milk, cheese etc) and please please stop consuming cola drinks (they are the worst).

if u really want the supplements though bolton market should have them,all the shopkeepers go their to get their stuff in Karachi
[/quote]

Wow…your are recommending going to “Bolton Market” for supplements!! you must be kidding me dude… that place is full of third quality crap…might end up getting sick taking any stuff from that place…ok guys come on anybody else knows any better place in karachi for supplements…this thread is becoming a thesis on nutrition blah blah blah…anybody out here have spotted any “Imported Whey Protein brands like Optimum nutrition” please post that info…once again thanks Asad…i’ll def call Imtiazfitness to check if they deliver their supplements to Karachi…

I think if you don't want to wait more, Imtiaz Fitness seems to be the best choice for you now, though IMO they are overcharging for Pakistani customers. But if you can find a medical store which has supplements, that'll be your best choice as their prices will be decent. See the following page for a list of Medical store Contact details in Karachi:

http://www.pakdoctors.info/directory/dirSub.asp?subid=0&City=Karachi&catid=34&submit=Search

Actually Imtiaz Fitness has better rates compared to D. Watson, Shaheen, Willson etc. An ON 100% Whey Gold Standard 5lb used to cost 3400rs earlier this year at these stores, but Imtiaz Fitness were offering it for 2900rs.

All the supplements available in Pakistan will be overcharged as we have tax on them. Once I ordered a 4.xxlb ON Casein via UPS from United States and there was 500rs in customs! Not to mention the shipping cost of $70.

When I called Imtiaz rep two days ago, he said the Real Gains is for Rs.4000 (its internet listed price is $36) which I thought was way too expensive. I found a medical store which has Real Gains, and that guy was asking for 3700 ,but I am sure I can get that down to around 3400 as I previously bought a supplement from him on which he gave discount of 300 (1500 from 1800). So for me Imtiaz is expensive at the moment. I mailed them yesterday regarding the difference between website price and local price, to which they replied that they are currently having a bit difficulties, but in future they intend to become largest supplements store in Pakistan with cheap prices.