Sun xVM VirtualBox - Free And Open Source [alternative to VMware]

demonstrations: http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/media/k5_media.jsp

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
quoted in http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/index.jsp

-Free and open source desktop and laptop virtualization

-Runs multiple operating systems at the same time on the same PC

-Enables cross-platform, multi-tier applications

-Supports the Solaris OS, OpenSolaris, Windows, Macintosh OS X, and Linux

-Improves efficiency with intuitive blend of platforms and applications

-Provides remote access to guest virtual machines from anywhere

-Supports virtual server environments

-Protects existing hardware investments

[/quote]

A better choice in my point, Free of cost, low machine resources than the VMware, 2 minutes installation, quick wizard to guest OS.

YES! VMware is big one. but now I prefer to use xVM Virtual Box, it also does ever thing we need. as I have just tested it with Vista and Ubuntu as guest OS.

did you guys use VMware? if so then try xVM Virtual Box now. and write opinions.

^ i use virtuall box quite often to test out different linux distros and it rocks

^yes. I also liked it very much. I dont know why. but I always give my THUMBS UP to SUN Microsystems specifically in Open Source market.

I think I'll replace my VMware with VirtualBox completely. after transferring all OS to it. just after confirming if it's really perfect with all the things.

I've used VirtualBox, and I am a fan. However I've found if you use Windows, Microsoft's Virtual PC tends to works better and is compatible with a wider range of OS's. For example, I tried to install QNX RTOS as a VM, and it didn't work with VirtualBox but did work with Virtual PC.

^mhmmmmm. I used Virtual PC but never got to use QNX RTOS on any of them. may be never needed of QNX RTOS that's y.

also didn't used Virtual PC a lot as VMware.

it would really be good if you could compare 3 of them with aspects of most useful parts. and your first opinion too.

I've never used VMWare. As far as features are concerned, Virtual Box and Virtual PC both seem to have the same features. At least I didn't find any feature lacking for my basic use. Recommend people to just install both, see what works for them and stick to it. Considering they're both free, and relatively small in size, you don't lose much! :)

but I see one limitation in Virtual Box. there is no Display Adapter Settings (e.g. resolution) to adjust for guest OS. May be I missed some thing. but I have tried to find that. nothing....

have you managed that thing?

and also yet found a diffrence.

in VMware I have option to add as many HDDs and CD/DVD drives as I want to guest OS.

but not in VirtualBox only one CD/DVD drive or a single ISO image.

I am sure I have not much explored things in it just in a day. but found these two above. or missed some thing. what do u say?

Well i used microsoft virtuall pc 2007 and i didn't see where i can setup hdd for my other os. There is an option for virtual drive but how to access actual. I couldn't. Somebody tell if used that.

ok..I have 2.8Ghz processor,1GB RAM while I have XP with transformation packs(u can imagine how much resources it take),I also want to have UBUNTU on mycomputer..Should I go for it using VIRTUAL BOX!!!??

Would it very slow down my computer???

^ VirtualBox consumes very low resources of your computer. you can install it. on the computer as you said.

but the thing to be noticed is that what Guest Operating Systems are you going to use.

your processor is good. but 1GB Ram is not well recommended for simultaneous execution of OS that requires high memory resources.

XP and ubuntu will be OK in there as guests.