Sun to make new Video Codes

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Looking to boost the Web, Sun is working on a royalty-free and open video codec and media system, company officials said Thursday afternoon.

“The main benefit is that you don’t have that now and there are markets, key markets like the Web, that are in need for the Web 2.0 experience a foundation of royalty-free for the media element,” for audio and video, said Rob Glidden, global alliance manager for TV & Media at Sun.

Detailed at the Sun Labs Open House event in Menlo Park, Calif., the project is called Open Media Stack or the Open Media System. It was derived out of Sun’s Open Media Commons initiative for development of royalty-free and open solutions for digital content.

Currently, proprietary solutions are relied on, such as Adobe’s Flash or royalty-bearing specifications like H.264, Glidden said.

OMS is a recent project. Asked about the availability of OMS technologies, Glidden said, "Stay tuned. I have no announcements on any commercial implementations or time frame."

OMS video is to be based on H.26x technology.

source:http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144494/sun_tackles_video_codec.html

[/quote]

hopefully this will be a good competitor to flash and we would have more open web standards

Its very exciting to see big companies throwing weight behind open source products. Hopefully the world of software will be a lot 'free-er' in a decade or so! :)

Its very exciting to see big companies throwing weight behind open source products. Hopefully the world of software will be a lot ‘free-er’ in a decade or so! :)
[/quote]

Free not potentially means $0 according to GPL license.

Free not potentially means $0 according to GPL license.

[/quote]

Even then, it gets pretty close to being free! :)

With regards to the codec, does anyone (except myself) use the Vorbis codec? (the files where the extension is .ogg) It's open source.

It's got a MUCH better efficiency-compression ratio at all bitrates above the 128kbps, and 192kbps (nominal) is regarded as transparent.

But it's good to see a new video codec (and open source) is in the works

and i don't like idea of more codec's it will confuse end user ,

With regards to the codec, does anyone (except myself) use the Vorbis codec? (the files where the extension is .ogg) It’s open source.

It’s got a MUCH better efficiency-compression ratio at all bitrates above the 128kbps, and 192kbps (nominal) is regarded as transparent.

But it’s good to see a new video codec (and open source) is in the works

[/quote]

i use vorbis all my music collection is in vorbis to

i just cant stand the crappy quality of mp3s

[/quote]

Crappy? Hardly. 128kbps is low, but isn’t hard to go to a bit-rate of 192kbps or 256.

And I should add, I can tell the difference between a 256kbps and uncompressed PCM audio - but only if the gear is very good and the source is clean. Even then, I have to concentrate.

MP3 is not ‘crappy’. It is adequate for 95% of iPod junkies.

On topic, more power to Sun!

i use vorbis all my music collection is in vorbis to

[/quote]

I use both ogg and mp3(because my mobile phone/mp3 player doesn’t play ogg files :( ).

However, I always prefer to have files in ogg. :)

I'm going to fire up another thread on audio codecs.... but where? Can someone point it out please? :P

I hardly think it will be new "new". Sun is not stupid to put resources to create a brand new codec because it will need lots of research. What they will do is it get any version of MPEG4 and tweak few bits here and there and name it as "new codec".

I speculate that it maybe based on MPEG4 Part 10 codec or similar with few tweaks.

Microsoft invested and created MPEG-4 Version 3 codec for ASF but reverse engineers created Divx out of it :)

Don't get fooled by these companies :)

Fe-Aman Allah.

I hardly think it will be new “new”. Sun is not stupid to put resources to create a brand new codec because it will need lots of research. What they will do is it get any version of MPEG4 and tweak few bits here and there and name it as “new codec”.

I speculate that it maybe based on MPEG4 Part 10 codec or similar with few tweaks.

Microsoft invested and created MPEG-4 Version 3 codec for ASF but reverse engineers created Divx out of it :)

Don’t get fooled by these companies :)

Fe-Aman Allah.

[/quote]

but it will be open source which means a brand new codec coz mpeg4 is closed source