Suggestions for new Solar System

I have upgraded system and have the following system

Solar panels 2900 Watts

Inverter Infini Plus

Batteries AGM Batteries 200AH , 48 V system

It took a while to get to this system as there was no clear information available. I have seen lots of views based on personal experiences.

The system is working very fine now. I had MK 5kVA before. The function of Infini is better than MK as being a real hybrid inverter. I do need to mention that we hear a lot from many people of being a true hybrid inverter but I never found clear technical explanation of this word.

A true hybrid inverter means that WAPDA and solar power both are connected to load and the inverter manages use of WAPDA based on the available solar power and the load. The shortage of power is withdrawn from WAPDA if there is any. This means the load is shifted to solar gradually in the morning as the solar power increases and so on in the evening when sun goes down.

For solar panels, anyone should install as more as possible based on the daily power consumption.

1) From my experience, you may get around 10kWh for 2200Watts solar setup. So make sure you have installed enough depending on your daytime power use in kWh. If you don’t know this get it with some help around you otherwise you will waste some of money.

2) You should have solar power less than your peak power use. Usually actual output goes up to 55-60% in summer. Make sure to have balance between your load and the solar power.

Just to mention, MK5kVA was not bad as I used it for two years without any fault. To me, that is a good economical item but you should have one of the following.

1) If you have Infini or any other real hybrid inverter, no need to worry a lot for load management and battery charging.

2) You should have either enough solar base installed to power the load and the battery charging so that inverter does not switches between WAPDA and solar.

3) If you do not have Infini and have any other either normal UPS connected along with a separate solar charge controller or any inverter with built-in charge controller, still the system can work fine by adding some control mechanism to take care of load management.

4) You have to make sure the batteries does not go below 13VDC ( 12V battery) or respective value to your system volt. If batteries go below, you reduce life. Avoid cycling of charge/discharge.

5) Make sure your batter bank is enough to give your load power up to 2 hrs. before going below 12.5V for single battery .

I hope these few words will help understand the requirement.

Is it Infini 3KW or 5KW plus ?

Did you notice any synchronization issues when Wapda is restored? as all hybrid inverters (that allow load balancing or grid feed back) need to match their sine wave generation so that they match the trigger and frequency of secondary power source such as generator or mains(wapda). Now it depends upon the method that they use to sync the wave form to lower the impact on uninterrupted supply. But none are built to deal with regular load shedding. So for most of them syncing happens once in a while. So I am keen to hear from people, how it works? Any visible symptom like flickering light bulbs/tubes etc as mentioned in following post.
http://www.wiredpakistan.com/topic/21804-solar-system-led-light-flickering-issue/

I have no idea what is impact of somewhat jumbled syncing on other electrical/electronic appliances? I would be interesting to see wave form on oscilloscope.

If there are any consumers that have been using Infini for a while, please respond.

Note: I am not a subject expert but a keen learner. Corrections (if any) of my concepts will be highly appreciated by experts on the forum.

this is 3kW plus.

I dont use On-Grid. Mine is Off-Grid with backup mode.

There is no flickering observed. As per manual the relay is connected to grid and switch-over time in in milliseconds.

Because you said following, I thought you are benefiting from discussed feature. And if you are, then synchronizing is happening and good hear that there is no flickering.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The shortage of power is withdrawn from WAPDA if there is any.

[/quote]

What brand of AGM batteries are you using? If you used different type of batteries earlier. What was your experience?

From what I read from forums, VRLA AGM is considered better in the LA group (VRLA Gel, VRLA AGM, VRLA flooded, Conventional LA). Please share your experience?

BTW when people refer to dry batteries, do they mean to refer particularly to VRLA Gel? Not sure about people understanding in local market. From what I read at following link,

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Lead-acid battery did not achieve the safety and portability of the dry cell until the development of the gel battery.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_cell

[/quote]

Even though VRLA AGM do not spill either. Need to do bit of more reading.

You said that you are using 2900 watt PV input. Infini 3KW Plus support 4500 watt. Is it because 2900 fits your peak load? BTW what is your peak load?

i have installed 3250 watt solar panels in my home and on the maximum solar is giving around 78 % of its total power. i have installed Axpert and XPI inverters a lot but first time installed infini 3kw Plus in my own home and found its working extremely excellent as compared to Axpert MKS,MVS.

Mine are Emerson batteries. 6Vx200Ah.

2900watts only to balance my peak load which is around 1400watt max or so. now have a plan to expand setup for more backup but will have to evaluate if this is feasible or not.

i think 4500watts will be a lit more than Infini can give out. 4000 is around even point.

Personally i am not much expert in batteries and moreover not in Pakistan. I got these purchased/installed by a vendor. I have used AGS,Exide, SacredSun batteries but all of them failed because of incorrect use. That I have already reflected in my first post as what is better use. Now system seems to be like flaoting on water. I am so far satisfied.

@awaissurely Infini is better than other inverters others are mostly inverter+charge controller. They still can perform better with some other additional setup. What is your peak load and how much average energy you get daily as i get these days 7-8kWh and expect to go around 15kWh.

My daily light consumption is 20kWh.

[quote=“tufail_74, post:6, topic:22658”]

Mine are Emerson batteries. 6Vx200Ah.

2900watts only to balance my peak load which is around 1400watt max or so. now have a plan to expand setup for more backup but will have to evaluate if this is feasible or not.

i think 4500watts will be a lit more than Infini can give out. 4000 is around even point.

Personally i am not much expert in batteries and moreover not in Pakistan. I got these purchased/installed by a vendor. I have used AGS,Exide, SacredSun batteries but all of them failed because of incorrect use. That I have already reflected in my first post as what is better use. Now system seems to be like flaoting on water. I am so far satisfied.

@awaissurely Infini is better than other inverters others are mostly inverter+charge controller. They still can perform better with some other additional setup. What is your peak load and how much average energy you get daily as i get these days 7-8kWh and expect to go around 15kWh.

My daily light consumption is 20kWh.

[/quote]

Dear iam getting around 13 to 16kWh depending on the weather. i use one inverter Air conditioners about 18 hours a day. i have backup of 400Ah in 48volts . I turned off my grid main switch only i turned it on when i have to fill up water tank.

i will recommend you Narada or Sacred sun 2volt and 600 AH cells with solar panels upto 4500 watt. then you will get the maximum power out of solar panels.

now i am going to make an experiment to run infini with batteries and grid . only on solar. i am consulting to different voltronic company engineers in china , i am waiting for their technical answer. by the way i already do it once but iam afraid what will happen if my consumption will increase then the generation.

From my last year use, this year i shall get 15kWh or so. My whole home is solar except water pump and AC.

Last year my setup was 2200watt and i added extra 700watt in the winter.

SacredSun failed with me. But to add, now I have figured out that failure possibly was from wrong use. My current system working great. This battery setup giving more backup than 150Ah SacredSun and is also cheaper than that. These are used batteries and have tested them full use and got more kWh than new setup of sacred sun. I personally would recommend to go these kind of setup instead of just buying new.

As I mention before 4500watts is more than you will get from Infini as you should get around 20-22kWh daily and if you dont use this then it is waste investment. either you should use it or it should be stored in batteries to use in the night time. this will make battery bank huge. so always find a even point where you get most ROI.(return of investment).

As you mention you have 400Ah battery, i assume it will give 2.0-2.5kWh max in safe limits from fully charged position. this is mostly not enough for night time battery-only mode. you are going to damage your battery. you have to get actual power consumption of night means at least one hour before sunset to one hour after sun rise only then you can make a good plan.

My second battery is still under review as I shall invest around 2-2.5lac for get it working including battery and solar panels but is that be giving me enough power as compared to investment. if i get only 2kWh extra, this mean around just Rs 40 daily benefit and means 14 years to get this investment back which is toooooo long if this does not have any further issue till then but batteries are gonna fail after max6-7 yr so this still may not a very good option.

you are right at your side but consumption of my 1.5 Ton Air conditioner is not more than 2.5-3.0 Amp when once it maintains the temperature . i have set my inverter at 50% DOD and my batteries never discharged more than 40 percent. it's not a problem if i use two air con 1.5 at backup mode.

There are three possible reason that destroys the battery life

1- Charging current (For 12v dry batteries charging current for 100 AH is 10 Amp/hour but 2volt cells its not a problem even we charge a 400Ah cell with 90AH )

2- Discharging current (For 12v dry batteries drainage current for 100 AH is 10 Amp/hour but 2volt cells its not a problem even we drain a 400Ah cell with 90AH )

3- DOD (Depth of discharge ) . the life of battery is dependent on depth of discharge . DOD should not be more than 50 Percent.

thing i dont like in infini is its battery charging option, it cannot charge batteries with more than 25 AH(48volt)

@tufail_74

Bro is your infini take current from grid in grid tie with backup mode?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My setting is Off-Grid with backup.

I've 2000 watt solar panels but now a days these are producing just 4kwh daily is it normal or low production please give me some tips and tricks how much your panels producing now a days

Solar power is possibly available but you may not be using it fully. my setup is having approx 9kWh used these days.

Make sure you have max possible load on your solar this will also matter on your battery bank and the load as, in case of shortage of power, the battery bank needs to be enough. Summer is coming so get your system ready for that time.

with reference to my solar power, i expect 6kWh or so for your setup.. just review your load on solar to get maximum benefit.

[quote=“tufail_74, post:13, topic:22658”]

Solar power is possibly available but you may not be using it fully. my setup is having approx 9kWh used these days.

Make sure you have max possible load on your solar this will also matter on your battery bank and the load as, in case of shortage of power, the battery bank needs to be enough. Summer is coming so get your system ready for that time.

with reference to my solar power, i expect 6kWh or so for your setup… just review your load on solar to get maximum benefit.

[/quote]

Bro as I mentioned in earlier posts that I am using it without batteries and sometimes with grid mains OFF too

And you're right am not using it to its full potential at the moment because inverter nor charge anything yet

in our system, grid-tie is not feasible. better connect batteries. how do you manage load-shedding time?

[quote=“tufail_74, post:16, topic:22658”]

in our system, grid-tie is not feasible. better connect batteries. how do you manage load-shedding time?
[/quote]

In load shedding if my load exceeds than pv input then infini trips down and I have a homage 12v ups connected already at my home so that took role during load shedding

even using small 80AH batteries would be a great addition to your setup.

so u r having Mercedes Benz but still use Suzuki few times a day...

having two UPS is not very much a good idea. better get a set of batteries and just add to Infini and remove Homage. Infini has all capabilities to handle your load efficiently.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:18, topic:22658”]

even using small 80AH batteries would be a great addition to your setup.
[/quote]

Farhan bro thanks for your valuable comment but in infini label they said that min battery should be of 125Ah