Suggestions for forum

Many members seem to be bubbling with new ideas for the forum. So I'm making an official 'post a suggestion' topic. Note that comments and suggestions are more than welcome and each will be duly considered, however please learn to take 'no' for an answer. Even us moderators debate most issues amongst us and KO (administrator) usually has the final say in the matter. It'd be nice if you follow this format:

Suggestion:

Pros:

Cons:

This is to ensure that you yourself take some time to consider the advantages and disadvantages of the suggestion, and which (hopefully) might prevent you from making impractical suggestions.

Members are welcome to debate any issue, but once it has been rejected, please drop it, since like it or not, this is not a democracy and more votes doesn't necessarily require the admin to give the issue the go ahead. This is the official suggestions/comments topic so any other related topics will be deleted. Thanks.

Suggestion: Redirect the non-www URL to www URL. Sometimes, I accidentally visit the forum using the non-www URL, which gives me the wrong impression of the forum having no new posts. That's because the forum doesn't logs the user in when visited using the non-www URL.

Pros: Users should be able to see there are new posts, even if they visited using the non-www URL. Plus the solution is pretty simple.

Add into .htaccess, in the forums directory:

RewriteEngine On

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^wiredpakistan.com

RewriteRule (.*) http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/$1 [R=301,L]

i recommend putting this forum on Vbulletin

sah: Why bother when its working fine as it is? Thats why I asked to add pros and cons.

Use PHBB.

I'd say stick with PunBB, all it needs is modifications.. Right now, the interface looks dull and boring

The suggestion by Asad to redirect non-www requests is a good one! And as far as switching to phpBB or vBulletin is concerned, I really don't think there's any need.

اردو سکرپٹ کا سائز کافی چھوٹا ھے، جس کے باعث پوسٹ کو پڑھنے میں کافی دشواری کا سامنا کرنا پڑتا ھے، برائے مھربانی اس مسئلے کی طرف بھی توجھ ڈالی جائے

No urdu please? Its really awkward to read, specially when its written in Urdu like in the above post.

sah: Urdu written in Urdu script is allowed. Please read the rules.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

اردو سکرپٹ کا سائز کافی چھوٹا ھے، جس کے باعث پوسٹ کو پڑھنے میں کافی دشواری کا سامنا کرنا پڑتا ھے، برائے مھربانی اس مسئلے کی طرف بھی توجھ ڈالی جائے
[/quote]

Actually Urdu script isn’t that difficult to read but I agree with you that font size is an issue. Now I’m not sure if the size can be increased on the member side or the forum side. KO probably knows more about it.

The text size can be increased from the browser. However, it is easily readable in the normal size too.

The text size can be increased from the browser. However, it is easily readable in the normal size too.
[/quote]

No, it takes a while to read with normal font size.

[/quote]

I agree.

[/quote]

I am sure everybody knows that… but than again whats the point making a suggestion if say “increase the text size from the browser”?

Color's..for the love of GOD please make the site colorful...sometimes the colors look so dull that its pretty hard to browse through it.

Also i would like the return of the RSS feed's

Color’s…for the love of GOD please make the site colorful…sometimes the colors look so dull that its pretty hard to browse through it.

Also i would like the return of the RSS feed’s

[/quote]

the RSS feeds already exist

The smileys need to get a lil make over

what happened to the layout of the forum? i mean all the member info (avatar, name etc) that was previously on the left side, now appears in between the posts. So annoyingly bad. is this part of some suggestion or what? can i change back to the previous layout?

what happened to the layout of the forum? i mean all the member info (avatar, name etc) that was previously on the left side, now appears in between the posts. So annoyingly bad. is this part of some suggestion or what? can i change back to the previous layout?
[/quote]

Its still on the left side. Maybe its a browser issue.

[/quote]

I disagree, I too find it to be too small in normal size (on firefox, could it be a browser issue?)…plus increasing the text size of browser causes the English font to become really large, and that affects the layout of the site, making it difficult to browse…

is the urdu font size tied in with the english font size? i mean if you increase the urdu font size does this mean the english fonts size will also become larger? in that case you should leave it as it is :D

ps. a handy shortcut for increasing font sizes in browsers: Ctrl+Mouse Wheel

you can also use this shortcut to zoom in other applications like word, acrobat etc…

[/quote]

Just take the word ‘Script’ as an example, you get confused in between “script” and “cigerette”