Suggestions for buying best lcd

Hi guys i need your suggestions to buy best lcd at any cost but i dont know which brand and resolution is best for me?

I stay on net from 6 to 8 hours daily to update my sites, browsing net, working on photoshop like applications and also sometimes watching movies and playing games.

Currently i am using 1024x768 resolution on my crt monitor and my websites are also designed for 1024x768 resolution, now plz tell..

1: Which lcd brand is best, HP, Viewsonic, Acer or any other ?

2: Most of the time i stay in front of monitor so if i buy wide screen in 17 or 19inch, will i work with my sites easilly ? and also is it good for my eyes? can my eyes take control on whole screen bcoz most of time i stay in front of monitor ?

3: Which screen size i have to use 17 inch or 19 inch and also widescreen or normal ?

4: Most important is can i easily work on my 1024x768 resolution sites with 17 or 19inch widescreen lcd ? as someone told me that widescreen are best for gaming and watching movies but working with 1024x768 sites is more important than gaming and movies.

5: In short i need lcd for updating sites and enjoying movies and games always staying in front of lcd.

Hope you understand what i wanna say so please share your comments, i will be very thankfull.

best is samsung.... do whatever you want... but buy something with 2ms response time... that is all i gotta say

There are two things that you need to consider if your a website developer.

1. Colour accuracy. LCDs don't reproduce colours with the same accuracy as CRT monitors so your going to face some problems as a photoshop user.

2. Resolution. Even a 17" LCD has a native resolution (also called max resolution) of 1280 x 1024. Unlike CRTs, LCDs don't look as good at resolutions other than the native one. So at a high resolution like that your going to find that text on webpages is too small to read.

While it is possible to resize text in Windows OS for desktop and window elements the same cannot be said about the web browser. I am sure as a web developer you are aware of the problems associated with resizing text on a web page. Most web pages still use 10pt-11pt font sizes. Imagine that font size on 1440x900 resolution screen (minimum native res for 19" monitor).

In FF, if you hold the CTRL-key and rotate the

mouse wheel, you can adjust the text font size

inside your browser window.

I looked at BenQ, Samsung and HP LCDs at

Galaxy Computers, but the best, in terms of

the picture quality (brightness, clarity, colors),

appeared to be the 22" Viewsonic. Others were

not even close.

About the refresh rate. It's listed as having a

mean ref. rate of 5ms and max. of 2ms. Now

what does that mean ?.

Sheikh 'False Adv ?' Chilli

Font size can also be increased in IE

dude i am gonna say again.... samsung is the best... if you are slight bit into gaming don't go for anything other than a 2ms screen.... view sonic is good .. but i like their 28" for sale on galaxy for like 50000

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

In FF, if you hold the CTRL-key and rotate the

mouse wheel, you can adjust the text font size

inside your browser window.

I looked at BenQ, Samsung and HP LCDs at

Galaxy Computers, but the best, in terms of

the picture quality (brightness, clarity, colors),

appeared to be the 22" Viewsonic. Others were

not even close.

About the refresh rate. It’s listed as having a

what does that mean ?.

Sheikh ‘False Adv ?’ Chilli

[/quote]

Man I visit hundreds of web pages everyday. What a pain to magnify text on all of them? And also you would find a number of sites don’t display correctly at magnified sizes. That is the point I am trying to make. As a web developer you have to specify the size of fonts on your sites’ stylesheets. If you can’t see text at original size (which BTW is usually 10-12pts sans serif) then how can you develop web pages? You loose all sense of proportion.

It’s listed as having a

what does that mean ?

[/quote]

My interpretation:

Average Refresh Rate = 5ms

Maximum Lowest Possible = 2ms

In other words:

Minimum Lowest Achievable = 2ms

They are playing with word “maximum” :)

Thanks guys for putting really helpfull comments and rokra you have pointed a good issue but dear in europe most users have very big widescreen lcd and you know that they also spent much time on net then how they update their sites or just browse net as most website use 11 to 12 size font in webs?

As i told i am web developer so which size is good for me 17 or 19 inch with widescreen or normal and also which brand to buy, hp, viewsonic, acer or samsung?

Plz give your suggestion bcoz i am waiting just for your comments then i will decide which lcd is best for me.

As i told i am web developer so which size is good for me 17 or 19 inch with widescreen or normal and also which brand to buy, hp, viewsonic, acer or samsung?
[/quote]

ViewSonic and Samsung are both good. HP monitors are grossly overpriced. I would personally go for a 19" WideScreen with a native resolution not more than 1440x900.

The more resolution the better, for a web developer, as we get more working space. But, as rokra mentioned, you don’t want the text to be “natively” small. There’s nothing much you can do to magnify the text sizes and still be in your comfort zone. If you have to go for a resolution more than 1440x900, go for a 21" or higher monitor. However, since you’re switching from a 17-19" monitor, you’ll have experience eye pain for few weeks using the monitor. To be in your comfort zone, I would recommend a 19" WideScreen with native resolution of 1440x900 :)

I just bought Samsung 932BW 19 inch widescreen for Rs.13800. I must say i'm very impressed with the results. So i would also recommend u to buy one.

If you are a Photoshop guy than the LCD is the last thing you should be getting.

CRTs create colour better than any LCD. Get yourself soemthing like a used Trintron tube 21" CRT ... and you will have a lot better colour quality than any LCD.

Ok it is decided to buy viewsonic or samsung both are good but not to buy acer and hp is also good but its overpriced.

Now move to size 17 or 19 inch, widescreen or normal ?

At this place i am much confused bcoz there are many replies in yes and no for 17 or 19 inch widescreen but as i mentioned before basically i will use lcd for web developing at 1024x768 but you know when i am spending money so i also want to enjoy gaming and watching movies which are good on 17 or 19 inch wide but for developing websites 17inch normal is good.

So what you say can i work on sites with widescreen or i have to buy two lcds, one for web developing and second for gaming and movies ? lolz

Is it possible to work on both i mean 1024x768 screen web developing and gaming and movies on widescreen on a single monitor ?

I got Acer 17" and replaced with ViewSonic 17" after 3 or 4 days.

because... Acer lost its colors messed up in just 2 days. dont know why, what was the problem, may be it was 1 in 10 or 1 in 100. but it was with me. :)

and i just got it replaced with ViewSonic. and now it has been more than a year long with it.

happy with it. :)

perfect colors and output quality.

and as ViewSonic only deals with output and visual devices, so I really prefer it over all other brands.

if you are concerned about text size and stuff then you could always use an lcd and a crt together... most of the graphics cards support it nowadays

I think i have to stick normal screen not wide screen.

Currently i am using 17inch crt but now i wanna upgrade to 19inch lcd for web developing in 1024x768 and to enjoy movies and games.

Now if i buy 19 inch then which screen resolution is good for it ?

Can i use 1024x768 resolution on 19 inch lcd and will it look good ?

Or you will say to buy only 17inch ?

Check some hp models here bcoz i like them bcoz of beautifull design

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/product/product_detail/KB744AA%2523ABA

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884469-3561174.html

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884469-3561416.html

As viewsonic is mostly used brand so also tell me which model is best in 17inch and 19inch ?

I think i have to stick normal screen not wide screen.

Currently i am using 17inch crt but now i wanna upgrade to 19inch lcd for web developing in 1024x768 and to enjoy movies and games.

Now if i buy 19 inch then which screen resolution is good for it ?

Can i use 1024x768 resolution on 19 inch lcd and will it look good ?

Or you will say to buy only 17inch ?

[/quote]

I think you have trouble reading as it is at 1024x768. I say that because I have already answered your question in my first reply in this thread and yet here you are repeating the question. Here’s a direct link to my reply so you don’t miss it again:

http://www.wiredpakistan.com/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=72895#p72895

Rokra angry man i know what have you told me but i also ask you that in europe most users have big widescreen lcds then how they update sites or browse net when mostly sites use 10 or 11 size font and also most sites are also designed in 1024x768 pixel ?

Rokra angry man i know what have you told me but i also ask you that in europe most users have big widescreen lcds then how they update sites or browse net when mostly sites use 10 or 11 size font and also most sites are also designed in 1024x768 pixel ?
[/quote]

Wow are you really a website developer? Because you are not very knowledgeable. You do know that people in rich countries have multi Mbps internet connections right? Yet most websites are designed such that dial up users with 56kbps connections can use them. Why do you think that is? Its because websites are designed for the lowest common denominator so that they are accessible to as many people as possible.

Now as to how people with LCDs running at high resolutions design for a low resolution. I have no idea. Maybe they have better eye sight than you or me or maybe they have no choice because CRTs are no longer available there. Have you tried asking them? I do know that there are available LCDs for professionals in these rich countries. These pro LCDs cost $1000+ each and they do a better job at colour reproduction.

But rest assured that unlike CRTs which can display well enough at a multitude of different resolutions, LCDs can display well only at the native or maximum resolution they are designed for. So now its up to you to check out the various LCDs available locally and see whether they display text well enough in lower resolutions.

So now its up to you to check out the various LCDs available locally and see whether they display text well enough in lower resolutions.
[/quote]

My dear rokra i had already checked this idea but unfortunately i am living in a small city and only few poeple have lcd which are usually in size 15 and 17 inch so i ask here and i am really thankfull for all guys specially you but still i am in conflict and i have decided to buy 19inch normal screen, what you say ?

I am a chota mota web designer not web developer.