Suggestion to buy New Graphics Card

Hello,

My name is Moeed Ahmed. I need some suggestions for a graphics card i got Corei7 with 8gb Ram. I have a budget of about 14k which graphics card should i got for. Right now i am thinking of ATI HD 6790 256bits and 1gb ram

Yes go for the HD6790, it's the best GPU in that price range. Make sure your Power Supply is good enough to run it though.

[quote=“Upsilon, post:2, topic:15996”]

Yes go for the HD6790, it’s the best GPU in that price range. Make sure your Power Supply is good enough to run it though.

[/quote]

Ya i have a good Power Supply btw is there any Nvidia Equivalent GPU or should i stay with ATI??

^ Yes there is. NVIDIA GTX 550Ti 192bits with 1gb vram. It is about the same price, but about 10% slower. It has PhysX though, which the AMD one lacks.

Hmmm i think i'll go for ATI i guess. Searched on Tomshardware and other places also. BTW which one would you prefer if u had to make a choice.

Personally i'd go with AMD (ATI), as I have a very satisfied history with their products.

Used 5850 or GTX 460 should be your absolute minimum, if you don't want to run into limitations.

try to find used HD 5870 or gtx 285. You should be able to get one in that price.

Otherwise, increase your budget. corei7 with low end card? Does not add up.

^ 6790 is definitely not a "low end card"...

@Xenolith I just read your specs. I think you should be able to increase your budget a little more, so if possible, get a HD 6850 for around 18k instead, it's worth the few extra Ks. Otherwise you're fine going with the 6790 nonetheless.

I personally wouldn't recommend buying a used GPU, especially if you can afford a decent enough new one instead.

These days I am also looking to buy a good GPU, I had shortlisted few cards like HD5470, HD5670 and HD6790.

Today I took courage and went to buy HD6790 which was at 14K, but shopkeeper told me that this card crashes on low end games like GTA SA

I personally didn't believe him but just postponed my purchase, I am eager to know if that is really an issue with high end cards ?

^ He must be retarded or something. There is no such issue with higher end GPUs. I myself use a 5830, which is pretty high-end IMO. I have no issues playing any older games, heck, i even play legacy games sometimes. So go buy your desired GPU, just make sure you don't buy it from that retard. ;)

^ Thanks for a quick and informative reply. I read your posts from time to time on graphics cards and it seems you have good knowledge and experience with various cards.

I have few questions about selecting the graphics card, would you kindly clarify these things ?

This is what I have learned after reading few articles.

1) Memory Size: Higher size is only useful if you need to use the card at very high resolutions.

2) Memory Type: GDDR5 is faster

3) Memory Interface: 256 Bit cards are faster and 128 Bit are slower (Actual thing is memory bandwidth)

4) More Stream processing units mean a faster card

5) It is wise to invest on a DX11 compatible card

Am I right in above conclusions ? Any more tips ?

Also there are various card manufacturers. How would you list them in the order of preference

1) XFX

2) Inno 3D

3) HIS

4) Sapphire

5) MSI

Thank you for your time

[quote=", post:12, topic:15996"]

^ Thanks for a quick and informative reply. I read your posts from time to time on graphics cards and it seems you have good knowledge and experience with various cards.

I have few questions about selecting the graphics card, would you kindly clarify these things ?

This is what I have learned after reading few articles.

1) Memory Size: Higher size is only useful if you need to use the card at very high resolutions.

2) Memory Type: GDDR5 is faster

3) Memory Interface: 256 Bit cards are faster and 128 Bit are slower (Actual thing is memory bandwidth)

4) More Stream processing units mean a faster card

5) It is wise to invest on a DX11 compatible card

Am I right in above conclusions ? Any more tips ?

[/quote]

1: True - The memory is only used to store the current graphical data (textures, etc), so for lower resolutions, lesser memory is required.

2: True - It affects the bandwidth of your GPU. GDDR5 is about twice as fast as GDDR3, it greatly improves the overall performance, and gives much better results when overclocking.

3: True - It affects the speed of the data that is sent to the RAM. On a side-note, 128bit of GDDR5 is equivalent to 256bit of GDDR3.

4: Not entirely True - Shaders affects Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering, More shaders handle higher levels of AA & AF without lagging. On a side-note, AMD’s shaders are much smaller than NVIDIA, thus 5 AMD shaders are equivalent to 1 NVIDIA shader, that is why AMD always have more shaders than NVIDIA.

5: Yes - DX11 is significantly improved over DX10 in both detail & performance, and many new games are skipping DX10, letting you choose between only DX9 & DX11. So yes, it’s worth it.

[quote=", post:12, topic:15996"]

Also there are various card manufacturers. How would you list them in the order of preference

1) XFX

2) Inno 3D

3) HIS

4) Sapphire

5) MSI

Thank you for your time

[/quote]

1.Sapphire

2.MSI

3.HIS

4.XFX

5.Inno3D

Had forgotten to write about 4, so wrote it now.

^ Thanks - Point 4 is very informative, I was wondering why ATI has more stream processors.

Now the tie is between HD6790 and GTX550ti, I am reading comparisons now.

What would you suggest between above two cards ?

^ Well, as I told OP, they're pretty similar in both price and performance. The 6790 is about 10% faster, while the gtx550ti has physx. It really comes to your preferences.

these days ppl r going with amd gpus coz they performs well without of this annoying physx feature infact upcoming AMD's 7 series gpus could easily smoke nvidia gpus as they are based on 28 nm process that's why i think nvidia is loosing their reputation nowdays with its competitor yet another useless innovation is to still promoting the sales of their old gpus for example if we look around at the new GTX 560ti G.one signature edition its nothing just an outdated graphics card as it does not comes with a capability which makes it to fly like the SRK :D

^ Nvidia's upcoming GPU series, the GTX600 is also gonna use chips. Nvidia currently still has a higher market share over AMD (Nvidia = 60%, AMD = 40%), but if AMD continues to do their thing (cheaper GPUs compared to Nvidia), then they might just end-up getting a larger market share than Nvidia in a few years.

And physX is definitely not "annoying", i personally really like the physX effects. B)

well, seems like my first post here

i have used EVGA GTX550Ti 2GB and currently own HIS HD 6790

in my opinion and based upon the usage and benchmarking i had done, i found 6790 to be a bit faster than 550Ti... in crysis 2, the 6790 was ahead by 7-10% (in terms of frames)... i found the 6790 to be better at cooling too..

i personally like the AMD lineup.... it all comes down to ur personal preferance... i would prefer HIS over xfx anytime :)

graphic card in order of preference:

................................. Comments.........................................

1. Asus ..............(reliable and most expensive cards here)

2. MSI................ (best cooling solutions are provided for these for longer life)

3. Sparkle...........(good quality cards, my friend who is using them speaks highly of them)

4. EVGA..............(never used them so don't know)

5. HIS..................(one card failed on me in 3 months so I don't have a high opinion of them, although they have good cooling solutions)

6. XFX.................(One of these also failed on me in 5 months,most of them have poor quality cooling so beware double lifetime warranty on most cards if you register them online in first month of

purchase)

7. Inno3d............. (most cheapest cards in Pakistan, poor quality cooling except for their ichill series)

ecs.................. (very limited models are available in Pakistan)

leadtek............ (most models are not available here)