Suggest me about Software Engineering universities

Assalam o Alaikum ,

Hope you ppl will be fine.I just have given exams of 2nd year (ICS with comp.scs , physics and maths) and hope that my marks wolud be between 60 and 65%.

I want to get admission in soft.eng as i am very much interested in programming and want to become a programmer.

Can i get admission in govt.universities of punjab having 65% marks?I heard that govt universities have very high merit for eng.

And what is other criteria for admission ?

Plus which institution is best (govt and non govt) for soft eng.? And what is scope of it in pakistan?

I understand that i have asked a plenty of questions but these are really important for me and my future.Please guide me.:)

Thanks in advance ,

Regards.

Anyone answer plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I have also done FSC Geneal Science(PHY,MATH,COMPUTER). I have applied for telecom in Comsats Lahore and I will be appearing for the test in FAST university(National University) Lahore. You must be aware of the fact that Software Engineering of FAST-NU is Highly recognized and recommended. You can also do software engineering from Government universities. ECAT is necessary for admission in Gov universities. I m sorry u can not apply for FAST NU as its registration date was til 5th July but if u can wait till December then I will recommend u to get yourself admitted in FAST NU as it also offers admissions in Spring semesters. The admission entirely depends upon performance in admission test and they have nothing to do with your FSC marks. Only eligibility criteria for admission test is 60% marks in FSC.

I have heard much about FAST NU but when i saw their degree programs , their is a BS program in CS not Software Engineering(SE).

I want to do software engineering , and much confused about it.I have checked NUST's web and they have BSSE program but can i get admission in NUST having 65% marks because it is heard that Govt universities reqiure very high merit???

And what about repute of NUST's software engineering ??

Please guide me .

Regards.

@ Stalker

NUST also requires 60% marks. I saw their add in news paper(DAWN) 2 or 3 months ago.

But i think their entry test date is gone because it was right after the exams(Pindi Board) of 2nd year.

Maybe they also give admission in summer semesters like Fast NU.

YOu should contact Nust and get proper information from them.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I have heard much about FAST NU but when i saw their degree programs , their is a BS program in CS not Software Engineering(SE).

I want to do software engineering , and much confused about it.I have checked NUST’s web and they have BSSE program but can i get admission in NUST having 65% marks because it is heard that Govt universities reqiure very high merit???

And what about repute of NUST’s software engineering ??

Please guide me .

Regards.

[/quote]

Let me make it clear to u that BSCS in FAST NU is equivalent to Software engineering, in fact it is called software engineering there. I have the prospectus and course list of BSCS and it is confirm that it is software engineering. NUST is gud in other engineering fields but never heard much about its software. Other universities including government universities take some weight age from FSC and Matric marks but FAST NU admission is entirely based on its test. You might be wondering y am i insisting u too much for FAST NU, only for the reason that its Software engineering is highly preffered not only in Pakistan but internationally. I know some software engineering graduates from FAST NU who r currently working abroad.

You wont learn software engineer in any of the universities bro, you have to do it yourself. FAST NU is the best than comes University of Karachi. Just get in and start software programming

I'm doing mine from BNU. It's good if you want to get good grades without learning anything.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

I want to do software engineering , and much confused about it.I have checked NUST’s web and they have BSSE program but can i get admission in NUST having 65% marks because it is heard that Govt universities reqiure very high merit???

And what about repute of NUST’s software engineering ??

Please guide me .

Regards.

[/quote]

I wonder why people are going for Software Engineering instead of Computer Science. SE is just a branch of CS. BS(CS) is the only internationally well-recognized degree program. BS(SE) is still young and it can’t compete against BS(CS) as far as the degree course contents are concerened.

Generally in Pakistan, people want the name ENGINEERING in their degree, thats why universities have renamed their degree program to SE. And you won’t find much of a difference between both these programs(atleast at BS level)

But in other parts of the world, their is a considerable difference between these programs. SE is just a subset of CS.

I think I'll take this opportunity to highlight the main difference between CS and SE:

A scientist discovers new things (e.g. electromagnetics).

An engineer uses those discoveries and applies them to come up with solutions to real life problems (e.g. using electromagnetics concepts to create antennas).

That is why Computer Science students take more math courses and later apply it to algorithm analysis etc.

In industry on the other hand, you work as a software ENGINEER. You apply CS concepts to real world application. And for that reason, engineering degrees are a lot more valuable than a science degree. Even if it is in another field (say Electrical, Mechanical, Mechatronics [etc] engineering), your degree will be more valuable than a CS degree. The idea is that engineering courses would have helped ingrain application skills in the student. Of course you still need to have sharp software skills, but those are usually self taught anyways. The more you code, the better you get! Plus you should focus on self-study to learn about better software architecture and design techniques.

Extending on that idea, engineering degrees are significantly more valuable than arts degrees for business/investment jobs as well. I've seen Electrical and Mechanical engineers working in investment firms (stocks, forex etc), heading the whole department. Engineering is one of the hardest specializations you can choose in university and it definitely pays off, as long as you're willing to make the effort!

CS vs Engineering, not much of a difference in Pakistan, at least not for computer studies.

Compare what FAST/NU's CS syllabus with Nust's SE syllabus and you will find very little difference between the two. In Pakistan an engineering degree = recognition by the PEC (Pakistan engineering council), and thats the only difference.

If you are comparing degrees you should look at their syllabus, and not go by the name of the degree.

As for best university...no real answer for that.

In Islamabad FAST/NUST/GIKI/Air/Bahria/IIU/PIEAS/SZABIST all have very similar CS degree programs...you can check them out.

now plzzz come to this point

uet offers cs and ce i.e., computer engineering

it is much different from software engineering

now plzzz u ppl compare the two

thankx

m waitng

no one/