Suggest a tablet <~ PKR20K

What is the best tablet device to be had under or around the PKR 20K mark? Intended use is web browsing, light productivity apps, games, etc.

The Nexus 7 (First gen) wifi only model (16/32GB) is around that price point and can be upgraded to KitKat. The compromise with Nexus 7 is lack of support for additional SD storage. This is a minor inconvenience, though.

Samsung has the Tab 3 7.0 around that price point too but the compromise with it is Samsung's typical mediocre support for updates, chronic issues with SD cards (in the long run as evidenced with SD card mounting and corruption issues with S3, Note II, S4, Note III, etc).

I doubt either of the above have any reputable warranty locally.

Reading some of the older threads here, Ainol also has some offerings and within the set price point, a 10.1 inch tablet with IPS panel can be had like Hero II or Captain. However, I have no prior experience with Ainol and how it fares compared to the two 7 inch models listed previously. I am unable to find decent reviews for Ainol products. Help with this would be appreciated.

Also, if anyone has experience of usage of both 7 and 10 inch tablets, I would like to have some perspective of what significance the difference in size has for the above mentioned use cases.

I am open to alternative suggestions, particularly if gleaned from personal experience.

I would suggest Nexus 7 or if you can wait then you can go for Tegra Slate 7

may b helful in selecting , http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/523255/20131119/nvidia-tegra-note-7-google-nexus-samsung.htm

Nuxus 7 is awsome device in this price range...

7" size is the ideal for tablets, my vote is for Nexus 7 (first gen) as china tablets no doubt have great features and may be longer battery life, but in the OS department these tablets are the worst. You will never get any OS updates, let alone the bug fixes. There are some custom roms for Ainol/Apex etc but they are not good as pure Google Android offered by Nexus 7. So 32GB model should be your first choice.

I'd recommend getting the new Nexus 7 (2013) from abroad if you have someone coming from abroad. The new nexus is a major improvement in almost every department over the previous Nexus 7. I really wouldn't recommend any other tablet in Android besides Nexus, unless of course you're willing to get an iPaD, which is the best in the market. iPaD Mini is around 8.9 inches if i'm not mistaken, though ofcourse as with all products from Apple, its not cheap.

Tablets just dont cut it, Idk for most people it is a convenient on-the-go device or nice for portable HD player , gaming , emailing , but NOT for general browsing, or getting stuff done. And if you're used to your high-end PC or a laptop you're never going to be happy with the limited productivity of the tablet. It is portable yet a PITA to carry arround.

That said, I have used Ipad and a GalaxyTab 8.9, nice devices. Ended up selling them to get a better smartphone.

No body mentioned the galaxy tab 3? ????????

it is one of the latest offerings, 7 inch.. will probably get KLP and kitkat is must..high on features, low on price.. also comes in a GSM version with calling, but price is high for just calls.. comes in your buget range..

Thanks for the input, everyone!

It seems Nexus 7 is the favorite but there is the issue of tablet size. 7" screen size is not really a significant step up from the recent 5-5.5 inch phablet and phone screens. It becomes difficult to differentiate with regards to screen size because of that. Also, the Nexus 7 tablet that falls in the stated budget is the first generation model, not the 2013 model.

[quote="Zohair, post:5, topic:20531"]

7" size is the ideal for tablets, my vote is for Nexus 7 (first gen) as china tablets no doubt have great features and may be longer battery life, but in the OS department these tablets are the worst. You will never get any OS updates, let alone the bug fixes. There are some custom roms for Ainol/Apex etc but they are not good as pure Google Android offered by Nexus 7. So 32GB model should be your first choice.

[/quote]

The flagship brands will always have better support but even amongst them, some are waaaaaaaay better than others. Samsung has its fair share of problems as mentioned in OP and with Google, there is atleast an update path for the OS and a wide support community available.

While Ainol tablets are being discussed on some web forums, there isn't as much enthusiasm and there is a dearth of objective reviews. I reckon storage can always be expanded through the cloud storage options or even wifi based local storage for any tablet.

[quote=“jDk, post:6, topic:20531”]

I’d recommend getting the new Nexus 7 (2013) from abroad if you have someone coming from abroad. The new nexus is a major improvement in almost every department over the previous Nexus 7. I really wouldn’t recommend any other tablet in Android besides Nexus, unless of course you’re willing to get an iPaD, which is the best in the market. iPaD Mini is around 8.9 inches if i’m not mistaken, though ofcourse as with all products from Apple, its not cheap.

[/quote]

Not a *.Apple fan so I will have to stick with either Windows or Android for the OS. Considering that Microsoft has unclear and confusing future path for its mobile/tablet OS, I wouldn’t want to invest/sink anything (time, nor money) into that ecosystem. So yeah, it will have to be Android. ;)

What is the best deal available for Nexus 7 2013 locally?

[quote=“djayz, post:7, topic:20531”]

Tablets just dont cut it, Idk for most people it is a convenient on-the-go device or nice for portable HD player , gaming , emailing , but NOT for general browsing, or getting stuff done. And if you’re used to your high-end PC or a laptop you’re never going to be happy with the limited productivity of the tablet. It is portable yet a PITA to carry arround.

That said, I have used Ipad and a GalaxyTab 8.9, nice devices. Ended up selling them to get a better smartphone.

[/quote]

Just dipping toes in the tablet pool to get a feel for the devices in this range. If you notice, I am not going for latest performance devices in this category. Did you have the occasion to use any Nexus tablet device and what is your perspective on the tablet screen size for the ones you did use?

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:20531”]

No body mentioned the galaxy tab 3? ???

[/quote]

Read the OP. :)

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:8, topic:20531”]

it is one of the latest offerings, 7 inch… will probably get KLP and kitkat is must…high on features, low on price… also comes in a GSM version with calling, but price is high for just calls… comes in your buget range…

[/quote]

That is not a given with Samsung considering how they will likely only provide a single OS update through the product life cycle, if at that. Plus, as mentioned in the OP, Samsung has other problems. Has Samsung declared anywhere about the future for Tab 3?

[quote=“Asad, post:10, topic:20531”]

Not a *.Apple fan so I will have to stick with either Windows or Android for the OS. Considering that Microsoft has unclear and confusing future path for its mobile/tablet OS, I wouldn't want to invest/sink anything (time, nor money) into that ecosystem. So yeah, it will have to be Android. ;)

What is the best deal available for Nexus 7 2013 locally?

[/quote]

I'm no fan of either of these, but this was the cheapest I could find locally. There may be other alternatives, but if you ask for my opinion, I'd rather you get it from abroad if at all possible, preferably from Google play store.

http://homeshopping.pk/products/Asus-Google-Nexus-7-2-price-in-pakistan.html

http://www.galaxy.com.pk/asus-google-nexus-7-2013-16gb.html

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

t seems Nexus 7 is the favorite but there is the issue of tablet size. 7" screen size is not really a significant step up from the recent 5-5.5 inch phablet and phone screens. It becomes difficult to differentiate with regards to screen size because of that. Also, the Nexus 7 tablet that falls in the stated budget is the first generation model, not the 2013 model.
[/quote]

I've extensively used the Nexus 7 (2012) model, though I no longer own it as I sold it a few months ago. 1 hand operation on a tablet this size is perfect. It is neither too big that you'd need both hands to hold it nor too small that you end up pinching and zooming to see details. Remember, Google forced Apple to come up with the iPaD Mini, the Nexus 7 was that big a success and decisive factor.

I wish you good luck with whatever you intend to get. However, if you want to go Android and want fastest updates, then look no further than Nexus 7.

I suggest Nexus 7 for more details: http://www.tablets.pk/