Computers which are used for graphic design need to have::
1. plenty of ram
2. capability of multi-tasking in processor
3. at least 2 monitors/lcds are better so as to get more work done in smaller time. Monitors have to be accurate in displaying good colors. Luckily great 24 inch monitors are available second hand and very cheaply in the market nowadays.
4. you need to see if your friends power supply is up to supporting a
good video card?
5. a graphic card with great 2d (NOT A GAMING CARD)
2D display quality and color accuracy are important in graphic work. Quadro and Firepro
graphic cards are the best for display quality, but they can be a
little expensive. Again second hand cards are cheaply available in the market.
Because not many people buy them as they are for graphic work only. I just saw a great
ati firepro for 2000 rs (pci express with 512 ram).
here are some graphic cards
some of the above are available from agn. contact them to see what they have
6. keyboard with hot keys, again available cheaply second hand
7. mouse optical with scroll option.
8. media card reader to get out data quickly.
9. second hard drive for data backup.
so take the above into account when suggesting a pc for your friend.