Suggest a computer store in Karachi, which buys used pc?

Hey i want to sell my custom built gaming pc directly at a computer shop in Karachi...I want to sell 17'' LG Flatron CRT monitor with system consisting of AMD athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 Ghz, gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro motherboard, Ati Radeon 9800 Pro GPU (both mobo chipset drivers and gpu with original drivers Cd), 1 GB Ram, 80 GB Seagate HDD, two 52X speed cd rom.. one of them is a writer too... us robotics modem v.92 and a floppy drive(which no one uses nowadays...hehe) and No PSU!

This Pc has never ever had a repair, ran flawlessly for 5years, well-maintained, never a hardware failure...It ran Gta Sanandreas, Resident evil 4, Fear + Extraction point and other games of that era (2005-06) without a single stutter...

I want to sell within a week.. please suggest with your experience the best shop that will give me a fair price.. Ofcourse I am not expecting more than 7K...

Thanks in Advance!

unfortunately there is no good resale value left for CRT today since one can buy 15" used LCD for as low as rs 4000.

but for your system try uni-centre, when you go there ask people where printer repairers are on ground floor, this is where are also shops who buy used computer systems/parts.

in case if you got used branded computer, i.e. dell. compaq hp etc then try computer shop called REBOOT in glass tower clifton. they buy used branded laptops and desktops. http://reboot.com.pk/

u may sell it to a person rather than shop,in my opinion,shops doesnt give you the price which ur system deserves!

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

unfortunately there is no good resale value left for CRT today since one can buy 15" used LCD for as low as rs 4000.

but for your system try uni-centre, when you go there ask people where printer repairers are on ground floor, this is where are also shops who buy used computer systems/parts.

in case if you got used branded computer, i.e. dell. compaq hp etc then try computer shop called REBOOT in glass tower clifton. they buy used branded laptops and desktops. http://reboot.com.pk/

[/quote]

You are right… but I am not expecting more than 1.5K for my CRT…

I will surely try uni centre then … tHanks

galaxy computer shop

at unicentre 4th floor has associated second hand shop which will buy your stuff and reasonable prices

you can also try them as well

Is there a good resale for AMd systems... I have had experience of performance with both AMD and Intel, And I think, AMD systems are better, "just according to me"... I don't know what is the taboo related to the AMD.. Everybody is reluctant to buy them... I had 5 happy years with AMD, my first ever custom built system...

Actually i contacted Galaxy and they said they don't take AMD systems... :/

Is there a good resale for AMd systems… I have had experience of performance with both AMD and Intel, And I think, AMD systems are better, “just according to me”… I don’t know what is the taboo related to the AMD… Everybody is reluctant to buy them… I had 5 happy years with AMD, my first ever custom built system…

Actually i contacted Galaxy and they said they don’t take AMD systems… :confused:

[/quote]

there is stigma of AMD being inferior hence cheap compare to real deal intel, this is not just in pakistan but in all over the world, so no matter how superior AMD product is compare to intel but still would be considered inferior by consumer, ie just like honda vs suzuki cars

AMD reputation in a sense well deserved since all AMD cpu till now based on x86 architecture are at the core are reverse engineered intel cpu.

there is stigma of AMD being inferior hence cheap compare to real deal intel, this is not just in pakistan but in all over the world, so no matter how superior AMD product is compare to intel but still would be considered inferior by consumer, ie just like honda vs suzuki cars

AMD reputation in a sense well deserved since all AMD cpu till now based on x86 architecture are at the core are reverse engineered intel cpu.

[/quote]

The older AMD processors (about 8-10 years back) used to overheat. This is the stigma attached to the AMD brand since then, even though overheating of the core hasn’t been an issue for around 6-7 years. Price vs performance, AMD is better than Intel (per international prices, not the ripe offs here).

Your analogy is flawed, when one considers the local market. Honda is indeed superior to Suzuki… by a factor of at least 5. AMD vs Intel is like Honda vs Toyota. Both have different strengths and both work well for the majority of users.

Read up the history of AMD and Intel. IIRC, x86 technology was licensed from Intel by AMD so it isn’t exactly what is called reverse engineering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86

Read up the history of AMD and Intel. IIRC, x86 technology was licensed from Intel by AMD so it isn’t exactly what is called reverse engineering.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86
[/quote]

Asad I already know the history even before I wrote the last post, the licensing you are are talking about about 8086 and 8088 chips back in original AT/XT time, under the same agreement AMD intordudced AM286 CPU,

excerpt from wikipedia

"but Intel canceled the agreement in 1986 and refused to convey technical details of the i386 part. AMD challenged Intel’s decision to cancel the agreement and won in arbitration, but Intel disputed this decision. A long legal dispute followed, ending in 1994 when the Supreme Court of California sided with AMD. Subsequent legal disputes centered on whether AMD had legal rights to use derivatives of Intel’s microcode. In the face of uncertainty, AMD was forced to develop “clean room designed” versions of Intel code."

“clean room designed” another word for “reverse engineered design”. then in 1991 AMD released reverse engineered AM386 CPU clone to Intel i386 CPU. and here we are in 2011 almost with phenoms and athelons etc all great grandchildren of “reverse engineered” AM386.

since 1991 Intel and AMD have their own unique manufacturing process.

ironically 64 bit architecture was pioneered by AMD which is licensed to Intel by AMD on which all Intel’s present chips are based on.

No matter how superior in technology AMD becomes from consumers its always gonna be one notch below Intel in terms of prestige.

I hava personally used many AMD based system for many years. but now i am on 100% pure intel due to the fact every investment i make towards new system i just make sure that system is also “hackintosh” compatible also, in hackintosh community its considered more pure intel hardware is then more easier it is to get the os x running on it and even for future os updates from apple. AMD based Hackintosh would require lots of patches to get running while the system with same specs using intel hardware would require none.

^ There are too many companies who made their own x86 implementation, another one of them being ARM. Calling ti 'reverse engineering' is not exactly palatable since AMD made a lot of improvements and pioneered with x86_64.

I don't really give a damn about Apple and its products so for me, AMD is equal to Intel when the performance numbers match.

^ There are too many companies who made their own x86 implementation, another one of them being ARM. Calling ti ‘reverse engineering’ is not exactly palatable since AMD made a lot of improvements and pioneered with x86_64.
[/quote]

talking of other cloners of the past era the best of the best was CYRIX company who clone the whole x86 CPU without borrowing single thing from real intel which could be cause of copy right infringement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrix

excerpt from WIKI

"Unlike AMD, Cyrix had never manufactured or sold Intel designs under a negotiated license. Cyrix’s designs were the result of meticulous in-house reverse engineering. Thus, while AMD’s 386s and even 486s had some Intel-written microcode software, Cyrix’s designs were completely independent. Focused on removing potential competitors, Intel spent many years in legal battles with Cyrix, consuming Cyrix financial resources, claiming that the Cyrix 486 violated Intel’s patents, when in reality the design was proven independent."

no denying in last AMD has come out superior.

as for apple there is no denying in creative tasks i.e video, photography etc Apple has no competitor, when i bulid a system for myself even if i want to use it just for windows, that s my take why not build a rig which runs every OS irrespective. it takes little googling to assemble right parts. its not a rocket science.

try to sell at www.olx.com.pk

@Supernaturalfreak , I would like to buy the monitor if that is an option for you , I need one to use as console for my test linux machine and trying to hunt one at Technocity is not easy so for me buying from some one directly would be an easier and better option.

I would have bought the system too but I bought one recently from Technocity , so in case if selling the monitor to some one directly is an option for you , please let me know either through email or here in forum.

@Supernaturalfreak , I would like to buy the monitor if that is an option for you , I need one to use as console for my test linux machine and trying to hunt one at Technocity is not easy so for me buying from some one directly would be an easier and better option.

I would have bought the system too but I bought one recently from Technocity , so in case if selling the monitor to some one directly is an option for you , please let me know either through email or here in forum.

[/quote]

Sold monitor on Monday.

I was so shocked when I found that my dear AMD system was worth 1.8K according to a shop.. so i just decided to sell the parts separately without letting anybody hear the word AMD or Athlon incase they would get scared...,,, And, luckily I am getting about 4.5K selling my RAM and GPU and HDD! ... And I have to throw the CPU and Mobo in garbage...Wow! It is a cruel world... But AMD rox :P !!!!

Sold monitor on Monday.

[/quote]

ok , thanks for the update.

my advise if someone is not making high end gaming rig and just want to browse internet and write few word documents then make a system out of all in one cheap atom motherboards like intel d410 and d510mo costing rs 5k to rs 6.5k, so when one is done with it after 2 years or so usage then when time comes to get rid of it then doesn't hurt that much when one doesn't get good resale money out it.

i have seen the resale market of used systems and parts is not that attractive anymore as it used to be like 3 years ago, one 'cause may be over staturation of Dell used PC in market which one could grab with pentium 4 for as low as rs 3.5k even you could get Dell used Core duo 1.8MHz for rs rs 8.5k.

don't come in your streets a cyclist scrap collector he will exchange your used pc with some money or sweets patisa as you like

@armada

LOL! No... that's why I better discard it for free....