Sugestion about inkjet printer

I need an inkjet for very occasional (one page a week) and sometimes a little heavy work (printing a book after 6 months maybe). have heard that the ink dries up in the nozzles of the print head if not used atleast once a week. I want to ask this forum

1. if anyone has experience with occasional inkjet use? Also as i need heavy use (printing a book) after many months so the ink i would be using for that purpose would be aftermarket (refill).
  2. Can you suggest me a good inkjet which can sit for weeks without any print and then when i need it for heavy jobs it is functional?

Although heavy use is not a priority but the printer should work for occasional use without the ink drying up. I have a Monochrome Laser HP 1300 which is very good, cheap and reliable for my Black text printing. I have spoken to some printer vendors but they say that epson printers have bad reputation for dring up of ink after some time of disuse.

Colour laser printers have very high cost of refilling (some refill shops say that it costs about 10 rupees per page for a colour laser) as every cartridge costs atleast 2000 to be refilled (and is good for some 500 pages (as per the refill shop guys)

I use HP Deskjet 1510, around once or twice a month and it remains functional. I wouldn't recommend printing a book with an inkjet though, it would be very expensive and very slow. Over its life a colour laserjet will have much better ink economy compared to an inkjet, though the print isn't nearly as pretty and initial cost is around 10 times more.

Thanks hashmi for replying.

Do you refill the cartridges or buy new ones? and whats the cost of the cartridges?

Cartridge refills for Rs 225 from Hafeez Center; they need replacement after around 2-3 refills to retain the quality of the print. I believe that new, original ones cost around 1500-2000, but there might be cheaper "chinese" versions available, which are usually just as good. Your retailer should be able to guide you better on the costs though.

Inkjet printer are not worth buying even for minimal use. If you can stretch your budget, buy a USED laser printer otherwise stick to print from a shop.

[quote=“shafiq, post:5, topic:22020”]

Inkjet printer are not worth buying even for minimal use. If you can stretch your budget, buy a USED laser printer otherwise stick to print from a shop.

[/quote]

Shops charge around Rs 50-100 per page for quality colored prints, add in the hassle of juggling flash-drives, privacy concerns and virus infestations. Its a trade off either way. I personally find it convenient and cost-effective to use a monochrome laserjet for major taks and aninkjet for occasional colored requirements.

On a side note entry level inkjets include a built-in scanner as well, something to consider.