Suddenly laptop speakers gone too low

I have this HP Probook 4520 since 6 months now, today when i was listing to an online news channel, suddenly the speaker volume gone too low, though the headphones are working fine , which shows that this is not a soundcard or driver problem. But i also tried uninstalling and then installing the drivers but still same result. I can barely hear sound on full volume. any help :(

Seems hardware problem in the amplifier section.

It's time for a warranty claim now.

^ +1.

any idea where this amplifier thing is located? all i have is these left and right speaker and one tiny power cord??? regarding warranty that was international, but i guess i already have voided that by opening the laptop to clean dust as at my place there is too much dust and in order to keep my laptop alive i have to open manually the laptop and then remove dust with a cloth :( the air blowers not work - i hate this laptop.

If you are feeling adventurous, you may take your HP's life into your own hands :)

Its most likely a connection problem, since your headphones are working fine. I am not sure about this particular model as to the exact location of the amplifier chip, but since you have already opened it, so you can try locating the wires from speaker to motherboard. There will be a connector on the motherboard where speaker wires connect. Try disconnecting the speakers from motherboard and then reconnect.

In many equipment speakers are disconnected when you insert headphones. This is usually mechanical switch inside the audio jack. You can also try spraying a little contact cleaner inside the audio jack and then inserting the headphones pin several times. This might rectify your speakers problem.

If above does not work, then you might need the services of a repair technician.

There is only a small pin which i guess is data+power cord which attaches the speaker to motherboard otherwise there is no connection. Already tried the jack thing its not the issue.

There are 3 things on which you should take a look.

1. check your speaker is it fine or busted or any magnetic loosing in it.

2. Check the speaker wire connections for loosing solding is in good condition.

3. Check Speaker audio ICs.

I think it's just any loosing fault, ICs do not burn too early

[quote=“irfangul, post:7, topic:15569”]

There are 3 things on which you should take a look.

1. check your speaker is it fine or busted or any magnetic loosing in it.

2. Check the speaker wire connections for loosing solding is in good condition.

3. Check Speaker audio ICs.

I think it’s just any loosing fault, ICs do not burn too early

[/quote]

The speakers are in a plastic casing, the ICs, magnetic loosing are inside it? or on motherboard? how can both speakers ics gone fried at same time? as they are physically separate?

28vd115.jpg

@ irfangul

magnetic loosing ? you mean magnets of both speakers fell down simultaneously ?

To me it seems a break in the common wire of speakers.

[quote=", post:9, topic:15569"]

magnetic loosing ? you mean his magnets of both speakers fell down simultaneously ?

[/quote]

Ijaz can you tell me where are these ICs and magnetic loosing occurs?

[quote=", post:10, topic:15569"]

Ijaz can you tell me where are these ICs and magnetic loosing occurs?

[/quote]

I think by magnetic loosing, he means mechanical disturbance in the cone of speaker which is highly unlikely (almost impossible) to happen with both speakers at the same time.

About the location of IC, I am sorry not being able to tell you exact location since I haven’t seen the motherboard.

If you have a multimeter with continuity testing function, we can at least start trying to diagnose it.

[quote=", post:11, topic:15569"]

If you have a multimeter with continuity testing function, we can at least start trying to diagnose it.

[/quote]

No, i haven’t and i am not gonna open it again - as i am happy using the headphones for now, will search for some good mechanic at Hafeez center or buy a spare set of speakers soon though.

Get JVC. Thats what some guy told me the other day :D

[quote=“hawker, post:13, topic:15569”]

Get JVC. Thats what some guy told me the other day :D

[/quote]

JVC what? speakers? i was talking about the spare set of laptop speakers not external speakers.

Unplugged headphones after many days and now sound through speakers gone more low :(

I don't know what the problem is but almost the same thing happened to me with my old desktop computer. One day, I was listening to something when suddenly voice got down, then died and never came alive again. From then, I bought a PCI sound card and used it till the day I bought new motherboard and blah blah blah.... .