Strong & Extended Range WiFi Modem to use with PTCL DSL?

AA,

I am looking for a new WiFi Modem (not too expensive) to replace my existing PTCL's modem.

I want new device because I am having WiFi range issue (may be cause of signal noise due to nearby other WiFi modem) so please suggest good WiFi modem which could be easily configured with PTCL DSL and has a good range and features like firewall, blocking IP/MAC/website and limiting bandwidth of certain IPs.

I don't want to add repeater to extend the range but want to use one device with extended and strong WiFi.

Thanks,

Maverick

go for linksys/tp link 3 antenna's router available in local market.

[quote=“MaverickI, post:, topic:”]

AA,

I am looking for a new WiFi Modem (not too expensive) to replace my existing PTCL’s modem.

I want new device because I am having WiFi range issue (may be cause of signal noise due to nearby other WiFi modem) so please suggest good WiFi modem which could be easily configured with PTCL DSL and has a good range and features like firewall, blocking IP/MAC/website and limiting bandwidth of certain IPs.

I don’t want to add repeater to extend the range but want to use one device with extended and strong WiFi.

Thanks,

Maverick

[/quote]

Have you scanned the wifi frequencies being used in your neighborhood and tried changing the wifi channel?

[quote=“MrKamran, post:2, topic:21929”]

go for linksys/tp link 3 antenna's router available in local market.

[/quote]

Model No and Price Range ?

[quote=“Asad, post:3, topic:21929”]

Have you scanned the wifi frequencies being used in your neighborhood and tried changing the wifi channel?

[/quote]

I have tried changing my modem's frequency but no use...

but don't know how to know what frequency channel neighbors are using ?

[quote=“MaverickI, post:5, topic:21929”]

I have tried changing my modem’s frequency but no use…

but don’t know how to know what frequency channel neighbors are using ?

[/quote]

Try inSSIDer on Windows notebook PC or some similar app on smartphone. It might just be a router issue (limited TX power and/or low gain antennas) instead of frequency congestion.

There is a limit to how much range can be had from ordinary routers. Better placement of PTCL router, using higher gain or directional antennas are things which you can work on without much expense. For simplicity sake, an access point/range extender might be a better option to ensure stronger signal.

[quote=“MaverickI, post:4, topic:21929”]

Model No and Price Range ?

[/quote]

just visit your local market and ask them for 3 antenna's from these brands.

usually they go from RS 3000/- to RS 5000/-

Hello!

For wireless range extension, you have a number of options (excluding WDS and powerline adapters):

- (wired) add a Wireless Access Point to your exisiting network via Ethernet/LAN cable

- (wireless) get a universal repeater

- get a new wireless router ... newer devices may not have an adsl modem though so you might have to use your old one in bridge mode with pppoe on the newer wireless router ... however, there still might be range issues due to interference on the 2.4Ghz band (although the 5GHz band provides many channels to avoid interference, it has poor range due to the fact that high frequencies attenuate faster)

I have some routers used by uk isps including some very nice ones that work great on PTCL with upto 2x2:2 (see wireless n streams) 300Mbps Wireless N (you might have to unlock a few) ... I am (really slowly) trying to accumulate all info at ahmedfarazch.blogspot.com and I have quite a lot of routers to go through! You may find these cheaper than newer ones in most cases!

If you want, you could buy one from me (once you decide upon a method, I can give you a list) ... perhaps a Netgear WNR2000v2 with Tomato Firmware!

Regards,

Ahmed

AOA asad,

can you tell me how can we change the frequency of PTCL router

Which frequency and for what purpose?

You need to give PTCL router OEM make and model number (usually on sticker on back of router) so that people can help you with settings.