Strange Problem with PTCL during loadshedding

Hello,

I have been using router with UPS for some years and never had any problem. But recently facing a strange issue.

Normally my SNR with 8MB connection stays within 17.5-19.5 db with around 970KB/s download and 128KB/s (SNR: 21db) upload. This is on ONU number.

During loadshedding (on UPS) the SNR for downstream drops to 13.5-14.5 range and download speed drops to < 30KB/s but upload stays at 128KB/s with no change in SNR.

In both cases the ping stays the same at about 30ms.

I did tests across the board with all mobile devices and PC. Resetting the router. WiFi on/off. The results are the same.

I am using TP-Link W8961 Modem/Wifi router for last 1 year or so. But only recently this problem has become a major issue as I can't even browse when on UPS. UPS itself is very stable 3KVA/2x170 Amp hour batteries. Also the WiFi performance of this router is very poor.

If anyone else has experience like this and found a solution please share, or any suggestions are welcome. I haven't tested the PTCL router yet which I will do next time loadshedding happens to rule out if router needs replacement.

Borrow anothet router from a friend for this test. This will rule out the voltage issu3.

Sent using Curiosity's onboard communications sytem.

[quote=“Proverbial_Slang, post:2, topic:22271”]

Borrow anothet router from a friend for this test. This will rule out the voltage issu3.

Sent using Curiosity’s onboard communications sytem.

[/quote]

Sorry for late update, I did the A-B test with PTCL and TP-Link routers and it seems that the TP-Link is malfunctioning. The problem disappears on PTCL modem/router but WiFi performance is worse than TP-Link.

[quote=“NajamQ, post:3, topic:22271”]

Sorry for late update, I did the A-B test with PTCL and TP-Link routers and it seems that the TP-Link is malfunctioning. The problem disappears on PTCL modem/router but WiFi performance is worse than TP-Link.
[/quote]

Ok. That narrows it down. Now try changing the power adapyer for the router. Its a cheap item available easily in the market.

Sent using Curiosity’s onboard communications sytem.

WiFi performance also goes down significantly with overheating of modems which run 24/7. I have put a small timer on the power adapter for my PTCL modem to shut it off automatically at late night and restart it in the morning. This gives modem a few hours to cool off each night instead of running it continuously for weeks at a time on UPS.