SSD vs HDD

Which is better in terms of price/performance ratio currently?

Which is better currently?

When do you predict the fall of price of SSDs?

Do you consider buying one now? if so why?

1) SSD is DAMN expensive. If you are not an enthusiast, I don't think its worthed. Even for gaming, why not invest in a better graphics card or processor than buying an SSD.

2) SSD. But SSD also has limited writes, like flash drives have 2000 I believe. Don't know the exact number for SSDs.

3) Next 3-5 years, they'll become affordable, but maybe still not cheaper than HDD.

4) No, too expensive, I don't see any use of it for me.

My laptop, Thinkpad X301, came with a 120 GB SSD. Honestly, I don't feel any difference in access speeds. Yeah there must be some improvement over regular platter drives, to justify the huge price difference but it is not noticeable, really.

If you want to choose, I'd say it would be safe to choose a regular HDD till at least next year. SSD have not really impressed a lot of people. Price is a major factor as well.

Hi!

Watch videos on the followin link, only if you have Broadband internet :-

ssd is too expensive at the moment, when the price drop down i would like to go for a ssd drive

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Which is better in terms of price/performance ratio currently?

Which is better currently?

When do you predict the fall of price of SSDs?

Do you consider buying one now? if so why?

[/quote]

1. In Term of Price = HDD . In Terms of Perfomance = SSD

2. SSD but Damn Expensive.

3. When Compitition is going tough.

4. No , not now ! bcoz it is very Expansive :/.

1. HDD

2. HDD

3. 5 years

4. No way! No use for me!

1. In Term of Price = HDD . In Terms of Perfomance = SSD

2. SSD but Damn Expensive.

3. When Compitition is going tough.

4. No , not now ! bcoz it is very Expansive :/.

[/quote]

exactly same as you bro …

i am not gonna buy any SSD until it gets cheap enough

Dammit its still aint cheap..

Has anyone bought it? is so how is the performance ?

People usually dont consider hard disks speeds while upgrading there specs. Hard disks are the slowest peripheral on your system, using SSD would definitely increase system performance only if its cheap :(

"SSDs (Solid State Drives) is trying to dethrone the big old mechanical HDD (Hard Drive) that's been around for decades. Many people have seen new SSDs itself and seen benchmarks of how fast they are.

I have recently upgraded by installing two ssd's, one in my Macbook Pro and the other in my desktop...rather than buying a new laptop...

I bought them from Galaxy lahore, Corsair X64 (64GB), and Corsair P128 (128GB), my laptop boots up in about 15 seconds, it used to take about 60 seconds before....I dont know about the desktop cause I built it with SSD, so i dont know how much slower it will be with HDD.

Google Chrome opens in less than one second.... firefox in about 4 secs with a lot of addons.

Microsoft Word 2010 and the rest of office all open under a second, on the desktop (Windows 7).

Advantages:

Applications open very very fast,

Random reads are extremely fast.

Disadvantages:

Very very expensive

Limited read and writes,

write speed decreases a lot when all 00's have been written to...although read speeds remain very fast.

If you got the money, and dont mind spending it, SSDs will make your computer very fast...make sure you use it for your OS and apps only, and use another drive for media etc

Even with custom duty its probably cheaper ordering from USA with your credit card.

Hope this helps...

write speed decreases a lot when all 00’s have been written to…although read speeds remain very fast.

[/quote]

Read up on TRIM. It is supported by Windows 7.

[/quote]

The drive must support TRIM too.

SSDs are worth it for people who want to see instant speed increases, even on slow PC’s. You must be careful when buying SSDs. Don’t buy cheap kingston or samsung SSDs…if you want performance, go for Intel, OCZ, OWC or Corsair.

SSD write and read limits have drastically improved so they’re not much of an issue anymore…typical life is around 5-10 years for normal usage…and this does not mean that the entire drive will fail after those years, but some sectors will have problems being read. Modern SSD controllers try to space out where they write data to try to reduce the amount of writes on a particular flash cell…thus alleviating the lifespan issue.

Ultimately, the most important component of an SSD is the controller, so when you’re buying an SSD, check what controller it uses. The controller ultimately decides the performance and life of your SSD.

For in depth details on SSDs, visit these two pages:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2738/1

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2829

SSD is obviously better in speed as its does not have motor like HDD.

SSD, at the moment is actually meant for thinner note books, like Sony X or Z series, Dell Lattitude Z series which only .5" thick.

So, if want a lighter weight & think notebook SSD is the option, for conventional size machines HDD is still the better option.

[/quote]

I had read up on TRIM before I bought the drives…and I checked that it is activated for my current drive: (http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=86403)…but it hasn’t seemed to maintain its original writing speed on blocks that already have been written to. I am getting 130MB/s Reads and about 40MB/s writes. Its not a problem for me as I am only using my ssd as my OS drive. There are steps that can be taken to bring it back to its original performance, which includes formatting etc…but for me its too much of a hassle, and I haven’t noticed a slow down although the benchmarks have.

I agree with v9s, the controller is the most important component, nowadays I think sandforce is the best (http://hothardware.com/Articles/5Way-SSD-RoundUp-Sandforce-vs-JMicron/)…my Corsair x64 has a Indilinx controller and the Corsair P128 has a Samsung controller.

SSD’s are an emerging technology, and are improving in leaps and bounds over previous generations, so it might be better for some to wait till they reach a relative plateau in terms of performance.

My laptop, the ThinkPad X301 came with a 120GB SSD Honestly, I do not feel any difference in access speeds. Yeah there must be some improvement over the regular training set, to justify the huge price difference, but it is not strange, really.

Even with custom duty its probably cheaper ordering from USA with your credit card.

Hope this helps…

[/quote]

Any idea what are the duties imposed and how they are to be paid

^ i bought an OCZ 60GB SSD from new york through ebay and also an OCZ 12Gb ram. u have to make sure the seller sends it marked as gift, valued at around 20-30$, labeled as used computer part and through USPS couriers. U wont be charged a penny by customs. many experienced international sellers do all this by default. dont buy from direct stores as they r bound by the law to label every thing correctly and that will cost u damn lot.

^^ What payment method did you use to pay the seller?

SSDs are definitely the future. ITs amazing how fast they are developing. Just a few years ago intel was in the lead but now you have other companies like sandforce that are bringing out faster chipsets. I think in just 3 years time the technology will be mature enough and affordable enough for us Pakistanis.