Split ac consumes less electricity that window ac , is it true?

will a 1.5ton split consume less electricity than a 1.5ton window ac. A friend tested them and found that both consumes approx same amount of amperes .

So whats the reality.

The latest split A/Cs are based on rotary mechanism as opposed to the older piston ones. So the new split A/C considerably consume less power. Not sure how split and windows stack up on power consumptions though.

Does any one have detail of amp consumed by different brands and differnt tons AC?

A 1.5 ton AC having same rotary compressor will consume same amps, either split or window type (approx 9-10 amp).

so i guess then, there isn't huge difference

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

so i guess then, there isn’t huge difference
[/quote]

Not if you go for the new ones (rotary compressors), but not if you’re talking about the older ones. An older general 2 ton was rated to consume 5000w …

A 1.5 ton AC having same rotary compressor will consume same amps, either split or window type (approx 9-10 amp).
[/quote]

As i got information, window type AC consumed 15+ amp where as split AC from 6 amp to higer.

splits turn off and on more easily and maintain a temperature... the window ones suck at maintaining a room temperature and either freeze you or just get warm

splits turn off and on more easily and maintain a temperature… the window ones suck at maintaining a room temperature and either freeze you or just get warm
[/quote]

couldnt agree more… window based A/Cs just do not maintain a consistent temperature like their split counterparts.

Might be off topic, but i wanted to know how much would it cost/month if If I ran a 1.5 ton split for 2 hours a day?

Might be off topic, but i wanted to know how much would it cost/month if If I ran a 1.5 ton split for 2 hours a day?
[/quote]

May be about Rs. 400/- or less

Maybe Rs. 50 max per day for One 1.5 ton split ran just 2 hours a day, if even that much.

[/quote]

If your normal electricity bill is above 1000, then it’s more likely to be as follows:

Assuming the a/c consumes 2.3Wh, then it consumes 2.3 units / hour = (2.3 x 6.5)rs = 15 rs / hour. More likely 950rs or so for a month.

Edit: A gas generator will cost less :D