Some Queries wrt launching a new website

hi respected members,

i purchased a domain and i want to make it multipurpose website , i want to include following featues in my website:-

1. social networking{like orkut}

2. online chat {java based}

3. forum {vbulletin or any other}facility

4. some entertainment stuff like wallpapers etc

5. possibly a tracker also after sometime..

PLEASE tell me :--

@ which hosting plan should i take as per my above requirements

@ from where should i purchase a hosting plan

@ which is best hosting service provider

@ can't we purchase domain for lifetime ? why there is renewal in year??

@ what basic things are required for above features ??

my advice

start with one thing and work on it... later u can increase when u get trafic and responsible members

it is very difficult to manage quality of so many things

and social networking is now become a childs play and everyone is steping in to it after watching the success of facebook etc..

but unless u have some verrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy extraordinary stuff at ur place u cant just survive....

and for social networking u need atleast ur dedicated server if u get enough trafiic

I got your point but can you please tell me

@ which hosting plan should i take

@ can't we purchase domain for lifetime ? why there is renewal in year??

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

[/quote]

Common Sense: The one that suites your needs, future expansion, and lighter on your pocket.

[/quote]

Common Sense: Web hosting service provider (a.k.a. ISP).

[/quote]

Common Sense: Everybody has his/her own favorite web hosting service provider. Use search feature of this forums to read opinions of other users (including names of some web-host mentioned by some experts of this forums).

@ can’t we purchase domain for lifetime ? why there is renewal in year??
[/quote]

AFAIK, you can purchase for up to 10 years. What do you mean by lifetime? Does lifetime means 100 years or forever? If forever, then how to cover DNS servers fees after, let’s say, 1000 years or 10,000 years? Common sense!

Google is your friend.

Common Sense: The one that suites your needs, future expansion, and lighter on your pocket.

Common Sense: Web hosting service provider (a.k.a. ISP).

Common Sense: Everybody has his/her own favorite web hosting service provider. Use search feature of this forums to read opinions of other users (including names of some web-host mentioned by some experts of this forums).

AFAIK, you can purchase for up to 10 years. What do you mean by lifetime? Does lifetime means 100 years or forever? If forever, then how to cover DNS servers fees after, let’s say, 1000 years or 10,000 years? Common sense!

Google is your friend.

[/quote]

I asked this question wrt my needs that i already posted in first post so that i can get idea from you members

I asked this question coz i dont know which provider is the best i.e. I want the name of provider

here again i asked the name of hosting service provider

this is very clear question

"as it seems from your answers that either you don’t want to give answers or you don’t understand questions properly"

:wink:

1. OpenSocial

2. Meebo

3. phpBB

4. make your own

5. Tracker if what????

hi respected members,

i purchased a domain and i want to make it multipurpose website , i want to include following featues in my website:-

1. social networking{like orkut}

2. online chat {java based}

3. forum {vbulletin or any other}facility

4. some entertainment stuff like wallpapers etc

5. possibly a tracker also after sometime…

PLEASE tell me :–

[/quote]

Its difficult to tell you your hosting requirments without knowing how many wallpapers and other downloads you want to host? Maybe you should start with 1gb space and 10gb bandwidth basic shared hosting plan?

Domain can’t be purchased for lifetime because then the registries can’t make money of renewal fees and their business profits are lessened. Also there is the fact that if there is no cost to domain renewal people will just buy domains that they don’t need and hoard them. This will not be fair to others who actually need the domains.

You will need a social networking script like phpizabi, a forum script like smf or mybb. Check out www.opensourcecms.com for demos of these free scripts.

Also if by “tracker” you mean stats software then sign up for the free google analytics.

[/quote]

1- Start with a shared one with monthly payment, so you can upgrade or change the package if usage gets high. If the users get enough, you will need a dedicated Hosting, or at least a VPS as you’ll get over the CPU/PHP limits of shared hosting.

2- Depending on your requirements, your payment method, and budget, you will need to search a lot and read reviews.

3- There is nothing “best” when it comes to hosting. Even Dedicated server plans can have downtimes. The closest to best would be a balance between price, features, and support, depending again on your personal priorities and requirements. I think smaller companies are best suited in most cases, as their servers are not overloaded, and they wouldn’t want to lose customers so they try to keep up with everything else.

5- A lot if time. Some money in the beginning. Plenty of Computer and related knowledge, and some luck as well :)