[SOLVED] Gpu Fan Fell off the Heatsink

Yesterday my GPU's fan and a magnetic ring fell off the heatsink.

So when i heard the noise from my CPU, my system stucked and then auto-shutdown. I opened and saw these two, the plastic fan and magnetic ring, and it took me time to understand that the magnetic ring was to be placed in the inner side of the fan and fan was to be placed on the Heatsink. So i did it. And system is working fine again.

After few hours the plastic fan fell down only, it keeps falling after every few hours.

Now my concern is which adhesive should i use to attach it back to the magnetic ring to keep it placed in its position?

Any help will be appreciated.

I used epoxy with my GPU card it comes with normal heat sink which was getting too hot and pc went auto shutdown then i remove heat sink and stitch a fan with epoxy and till now it working fine

Epoxy? hmmmmm........ you mean Elfi for a more common use?

If that is it i'm worried about it if it would do any damage to the GPU's circuits or anything, it is also flamable?

[quote=“Ahmsun, post:3, topic:14592”]

Epoxy? hmmmmm… you mean Elfi for a more common use?

If that is it i’m worried about it if it would do any damage to the GPU’s circuits or anything, it is also flamable?

[/quote]

I guess he meant magic epoxy steel, the white tube / black tube mixture thing :P

6.png

See more here

I believe Magic epoxy steel is also flammable. Is it safe to use?

Fan on heatsink is usually fitted with metal clips or screws.

Can you see some holes in the heat sink where fan can be fitted ?

Not the whole sink but only the upper part of the Fan which is made of plastic fell off.

I'll post pics for further understanding.

100% safe to use it won't stay as rubber liquid when in hard condition

[quote=“Ahmsun, post:7, topic:14592”]

Not the whole sink but only the upper part of the Fan which is made of plastic fell off.

I’ll post pics for further understanding.

[/quote]

Pictures would be great… to understand and suggest you the best possible way

Fit the fan back like normal and turn the PC upside down. Enjoy browsing WP for hours. :P

^And then what about other things? :)

The heatsink to which fan belongs:

img0135ap.jpg

The magnetic ring from inside the plastic fan:

img0137alc.jpg

The Plastic fan with the ring:

img0136at.jpg

And it looks like this when assembled:

51Q6WT8k2CL.jpg

You need to fix the magnet (as in last picture) to the plastic fan with some kind of adhesive. Elfy will work here, no problem.

Actual problem is a missing lock ring, it is a plastic/nylon washer type lock which fits on the steel shaft (look for the steel shaft in the last picture, it is exactly in the middle of the magnetic ring). You will see a small groove on the steel shaft to accomodate this lock ring.

Try to find where your lock ring went. It must have fallen under the heatsink.

I am afraid you will have to take apart the heatsink to fix this lock ring (even if you find the lock ring).

Without installing the lock ring, it will keep coming out again and again.

If you can not find the lock ring, remove the heatsink, take a copper wire, insert the fan assembly and use copper wire as a lock.

[Edit] you added a fourth picture, I am counting the 3rd one as last picture [/Edit]

OK then i'll use Elfi here.

The shaft you are talking is also made of plastic. And yes there is a small groove on the edge of shaft. Now i'll open it and see if the lock is There. and Thanks for the help.

edit*

As i don't have screw drivers of the required size, screws are too small, so i'll open it up in the morning.

ok i've put the lock back in its place, the problem i faced was that the lock was also broken so glued it.

A question how much time should i wait to put the heatsink back after applying thermal paste.

i've uploaded the pic to ensure if the lock is right ,click the pic to view fullsize.

fanwithlock.th.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[quote=“Ahmsun, post:14, topic:14592”]

ok i’ve put the lock back in its place, the problem i faced was that the lock was also broken so glued it.

A question how much time should i wait to put the heatsink back after applying thermal paste.

i’ve uploaded the pic to ensure if the lock is right ,click the pic to view fullsize.

[/quote]

1) Lock is a round ring and has one cut (by design) so it can be removed and installed. So you actually didn’t need to glue it, but its OK.

2) You should immediately install the heat sink after applying thermal paste.

3) I have seen the pic, it looks fine. Just try to pull the fan to opposite side to check if lock ring remains intact (don’t pull like a superman :))

Rest is fine, go ahead and re-assemble. You are almost done… Congrats :P

]photo01421.jpg

Power of Epoxy

@ijaz ahmed

+rep added. Bro you've been of so much help. Ok i'm ready , i've assembled it.

I check as Ijaz said fan is Working fine,noiseless and thermal paste also pasted(this is also one hell of headache for hardware newbie).

Thanks everybody who helped. Problem SOlveD.

[quote=“Ahmsun, post:17, topic:14592”]

@ijaz ahmed

+rep added. Bro you’ve been of so much help. Ok i’m ready , i’ve assembled it.

[/quote]

My pleasure. It feels good when I am able to help someone and that is my purpose to join this forum.

!!!!!Tension!!! fan stopped working today. and system turned off? what to do?