Solar Panel Price thread

[quote=“blodlust, post:159, topic:19358”]

Trina and Yingli are among the top 5 Chinese Solar Manufacturers, Canadian Solar is no where in the top ten list. If not Trina then instead of Canadian Solar, I would rather go with Sharp which costs about Rs.110 per watt.

I have been planning for a 3KW solar setup and measuring power consumption of electrical appliances to see how much load to put on solar.

I have a Dawlance fridge that I want to put on solar, but I am concerned about the start-up load of the fridge. Upon compressor start-up it uses 7.1 amps for a second and the running amps are 1.24. Is there a way to reduce the start-up current? I was told it can be done by replacing the fridge's capacitor with one that has a higher microfarad rating. It will help reduce the momentary spike in current. Is it possible to do this just by replacing the capacitor?

I was also measuring the start-up current of my 1 ton Mitsubishi split. Surprisingly, it started at about 2.9 amps, and then in a few seconds it was at 5.5amps. From what I know most solar installers say you need an inverter based AC if you want to run it on solar, because non-inverter ACs have a high start-up current. But it seems like my non-inverter AC can run on solar. If my ACs start-up current is low, can I run it safely on solar power?

[/quote]

If you do go for Sharp, make sure they are Japanese made e.g this model seems to be japanese made http://solaergy.com/shop/pvmodules/sharp-nu200-ab/

There is a video on youtube, where a guy is using a small fridge for than 9 days with 500W Solar panels and Morningstar's prostar 30. here is a link to his 290W video, watch the one in which he has installed 500W panels

Will it be a Grid tied system or a Grid interactive or Off grid system ? For the off-grid use you will need a large battery bank preferably at 48V or even higher voltage.

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:160, topic:19358”]

It ain't an AC if it can run on solar.

Aurangzeb

[/quote]

Why can an AC not run on solar?

[quote=“yousaf465, post:161, topic:19358”]

Will it be a Grid tied system or a Grid interactive or Off grid system ? For the off-grid use you will need a large battery bank preferably at 48V or even higher voltage.
[/quote]

I'm going for a hybrid inverter, most probably Infini 3KW. It uses 4 batteries for a total of 48V DC.

[quote=“blodlust, post:163, topic:19358”]

I'm going for a hybrid inverter, most probably Infini 3KW. It uses 4 batteries for a total of 48V DC.

[/quote]

Can you sell to the grid ? did you local power company allowed you to do so ?

Selling to the grid is not an option right now until the govt approves a net metering tariff. It has already been done in Bangladesh an India, we can only hope that it will be done in Pakistan as well. Vested interests are holding it back for now.

The current digital meters cannot be reversed even if you send electricity the other way. They will either throw an error or increase your bill you even more :). If you still have an old style analog meter, theoretically, it should turn backwards if you sell to the grid. But I haven't heard of anyone who has tested this personally, since the old meters are pretty much non-existent. But fortunately, I have an old style analog meter and so if I get the hybrid inverter, I will test this and post the results.

[quote=“blodlust, post:165, topic:19358”]

Selling to the grid is not an option right now until the govt approves a net metering tariff. It has already been done in Bangladesh an India, we can only hope that it will be done in Pakistan as well. Vested interests are holding it back for now.

The current digital meters cannot be reversed even if you send electricity the other way. They will either throw an error or increase your bill you even more :). If you still have an old style analog meter, theoretically, it should turn backwards if you sell to the grid. But I haven't heard of anyone who has tested this personally, since the old meters are pretty much non-existent. But fortunately, I have an old style analog meter and so if I get the hybrid inverter, I will test this and post the results.

[/quote]

You said you were living in private society with it's own power company, that is why I asked. :)

They don't have their own power, they just buy it from Lesco in bulk and handle the distribution and billing themselves. So I could possibly talk to them and ask them to initiate net metering , but It would require some convincing, because people in Pakistan are generally not very knowledgeable about such things.

http://www.brecorder.com/top-stories/0/1188872/ No sales tax on Solar and related products

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The items with dedicated use of renewable source of energy like solar and wind, subject to certification by the Alternative Energy Development Board (AEDB), Islamabad:. The items are solar PV panels; LVD induction lamps; SMD, LEDs with or without ballast, with fittings and fixures; wind turbines including alternators and mast; solar torches; lanterns and related instruments; PV modules along with related components, including invertors, charge controllers and batteries;
[/quote]

Already exempt under SRO 575 of 2006. However if you study the SRO you will find that wind is an orphan compared to solar which is covered very exhaustively. We need to get this changed.

Aurangzeb

[quote=“yousaf465, post:168, topic:19358”]

http://www.brecorder.com/top-stories/0/1188872/ No sales tax on Solar and related products

[/quote]

Will this help reduce prices? From what I know, only PV panels were exempt previously, whereas related components like batteries and inverters were not

[quote=“blodlust, post:170, topic:19358”]

Will this help reduce prices? From what I know, only PV panels were exempt previously, whereas related components like batteries and inverters were not

[/quote]

There is already downwards trend in prices, e.g current Canadian Solar rate is Rs 95 for mono-crystalline if you buy a single panel only ( you just need to do some bargaining ;) ) @ Nizam solar, while the same was available for no less than Rs 110 in 2013.

[quote=“aurangzebhaque, post:169, topic:19358”]

Already exempt under SRO 575 of 2006. However if you study the SRO you will find that wind is an orphan compared to solar which is covered very exhaustively. We need to get this changed.

Aurangzeb

[/quote]

http://www.aedb.org/Downloads/exem.pdf also in 2011.

Yousaf,

That seems to be a clarification. The actual one (SRO 575 dated 05062006 ) can be found on the FBR link below. Wind and solar are at Sr.No. 35.

From next year some change is being brought about in the system of such SROs.

http://www.fbr.gov.pk/SROsImportA.aspx

Aurangzeb

[quote=“blodlust, post:157, topic:19358”]

Prices seem good

Infini 3KW inverter is on sale for 108,000

Schnieder 6KW hybrid inverter is for Rs. 385,000

[/quote]what are model number for both ?

InfiniSolar 3KW (no model number)

The Schneider one is Xantrex XW6048-120/240-60

[quote=“blodlust, post:175, topic:19358”]

InfiniSolar 3KW (no model number)

The Schneider one is Xantrex XW6048-120/240-60

[/quote]

Do read the manuals for both deciding on one of these.

The mode required in Pakistan on Schneider is "Priority Power".

I have gone through the manual, Schneider is definitely the preferred option, but I can't seem to find the XW6048's little brother, the XW4024. It's 4KW and its perfect for my requirements. I guess it must be in the Rs. 250,000 range. I was told, the XW series comes with a 3 year warranty which is much better than the 1 year for every other inverter.

The surge capacity of this inverter is awesome, the 4000W can tolerate a surge of 8000W :). The bad news is that MPPT CC is not built in. It needs to be bought separately. But this inverter can do everything you can imagine, grid tie, off-grid, battery backup, you can even hook it up with a generator :)

[quote=“blodlust, post:177, topic:19358”]

I have gone through the manual, Schneider is definitely the preferred option, but I can’t seem to find the XW6048’s little brother, the XW4024. It’s 4KW and its perfect for my requirements. I guess it must be in the Rs. 250,000 range. I was told, the XW series comes with a 3 year warranty which is much better than the 1 year for every other inverter.

The surge capacity of this inverter is awesome, the 4000W can tolerate a surge of 8000W :). The bad news is that MPPT CC is not built in. It needs to be bought separately. But this inverter can do everything you can imagine, grid tie, off-grid, battery backup, you can even hook it up with a generator :)

[/quote]http://www.beonsolar.pk/xantrex-xw4548/ they seems to havea similar model in stock.

IMHO it is 5 years warranty, but still you need to confirm that

Yes, Generator start is known as “AGS”. Also look for Outback’s Inverter.

I got in touch with Schneider UAE, they pointed me out to their authorized distributor in Pakistan. I have queried them for pricing and warranty details. Lets see what they have to say.

[quote=“blodlust, post:179, topic:19358”]

I got in touch with Schneider UAE, they pointed me out to their authorized distributor in Pakistan. I have queried them for pricing and warranty details. Lets see what they have to say.

[/quote]

can you post any contact details for Schneider authorized distributor in Pakistan