Solar Panel Price thread

yousaf , I live in Abbottabad city which is approx 4,100ft above seal level and the weather over here is quite pleasant apart from mid june.Now a days there is a serious prob of electricity ,i ave got Homage 660watt UPS SINCE proly 3 years and Phoenix 260ah battery which is quite Huge.Its with me since 7 months and its working flawlessly and it does get charge fully when there isnt any darn loadshedding.. My electricity load isnt more than 600watts to be at maximum.I dont use AC over here nor I want to use fridge/freezers caz weather aint that bad but in summers my real need is 3 4fan and a lcd and modem which makes it equal to 500-600watts which my UPS supports.Give me the exact idea what company panel should I buy so that it can atleast provide juice to the battery and am always dependant on wapda.Give me price quotation.I am desperately lokin for it.

replied.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:, topic:”]

Solar Panel Prices at various distributors

nizamsolar.com

Monocrystalline 2013 || 2014

Canadian Solar Rs 115/W || Rs95/W

LDK Solar Rs 115/W

Yingli Solar Rs 100/W

Polycrystalline

Canadian Solar Rs 105/W || Rs70/W

Hall road

Monocrystalline

German Rs 140/W

Polycrystalline

Chinese Rs 56/W ||Rs50/w

Chinese Rs 70/W ||Rs70/w

Mall Road

Polycrystalline

SolarWorld (2014) 140/watt http://www.solarworld.sg/

Monocrystalline

Canadian Solar Rs 115/W

Cosmiq internationals

http://www.akhtersolar.com/

Local assemblers of German(Q-cell) and Taiwanese cells(Motech)

Prices include transportation charges for anywhere in Pakistan.

Monocrystalline Rs 155/watt || Rs95/watt

Polycrystalline Rs. 145/Watt || Rs80/watt

For both Q-cells and Motech.

Warranty 25years.

[/quote]

Prices have been updated. Almost all installers give a ~Rs10/watt discount if you buy a large array. The prices after || are current (2014 rate) OP will be updated soon.

[quote=“yousaf465, post:, topic:”]

Solar Panel Prices at various distributors

nizamsolar.com

Monocrystalline 2013 || 2014

Canadian Solar Rs 115/W || Rs95/W

LDK Solar Rs 115/W

Yingli Solar Rs 100/W

Polycrystalline

Canadian Solar Rs 105/W || Rs70/W

BeOnSolar

Mono-crystalline

Sharp || Rs 125/W

ReneSolar || Rs 75/W

Polycrystalline

Yigli Solar || Rs 75/W

Hall road

Monocrystalline

German Rs 140/W

Polycrystalline

Chinese Rs 56/W ||Rs50/w

Chinese Rs 70/W ||Rs70/w

Mall Road

Polycrystalline

SolarWorld (2014) 140/watt http://www.solarworld.sg/

Cosmiq internationals

Monocrystalline

Canadian Solar Rs 115/W

http://www.akhtersolar.com/

Local assemblers of German(Q-cell) and Taiwanese cells(Motech)

Prices include transportation charges for anywhere in Pakistan.

Monocrystalline Rs 155/watt || Rs95/watt

Polycrystalline Rs. 145/Watt || Rs80/watt

For both Q-cells and Motech.

Warranty 25years.

[/quote]

Prices update. Sharp and Renesolar added.

@yousaf465

I am wondering if you have done a feasibility analysis of battery backup. What would be the per unit cost of power that is coming from batteries over their lifetime.

[quote=“blodlust, post:245, topic:19358”]

@yousaf465

I am wondering if you have done a feasibility analysis of battery backup. What would be the per unit cost of power that is coming from batteries over their lifetime.

[/quote]

Quite a few times, Prices vary from Rs 4 - 20/Kwh over a period of 20-25 years. Major factors are:

• battery prices (different brands different technologies)
  • battery age range from 6months to 20Years.
  • Power usage whether you are using directly i.e when Sun is up

Lets assume we are using Sacred Sun batteries (SPG12830W) It can give 1200 cycles at 30% DOD, 500 cycles at 50% DOD. Each battery costs Rs. 36000. Let's assume we have a battery bank of 4 batteries wired in series with a 3KW inverter and we keep batteries at 30% DOD because that gives you maximum cycle life.

Total cost of 4 batteries Rs. 144,000
Total watts of battery storage (200AHx48V) 9600W
Usable energy at 30% DOD (30% of 9600W) 2880W

If battery is cycled to 30% DOD once every day
1200 cycles / 364 days = 3 years and 3 months

That means battery will give 80% or more of the rated capacity for 3 years and 3 months after that capacity will decrease by 20%. That means after 3 years of running, the usable watts will drop from 2880W to 2300W, and this degradation will continue year after year. till the batteries are no longer able to support the load.

Lets calculate the total KWs you are getting out of batteries
2.8KW per day x 3 years = 3057KW
2.3KW per day x 3 years = 2511KW
1.8KW per day x 3 years = 1965KW
1.4KW per day x 3 years = 1528KW

Total lifetime storage in KWs 9061KW
Divide this by the cost of batteries Rs. 144,000 / 9061W = Rs. 15.89 per KW

That means battery storage is costing you Rs. 15.89 per unit. assuming that they last 12 years, which is impossible. I am not taking into account efficiency losses and the fact that the battery performance numbers are based on a constant temperature of about 25 degrees Celcius. So actual efficiency will be lower. I hope I have done the calculations right. I would like to hear your opinion on this.

[quote=“blodlust, post:247, topic:19358”]

Lets assume we are using Sacred Sun batteries (SPG12830W) It can give 1200 cycles at 30% DOD, 500 cycles at 50% DOD. Each battery costs Rs. 36000. Let's assume we have a battery bank of 4 batteries wired in series with a 3KW inverter and we keep batteries at 30% DOD because that gives you maximum cycle life.

Total cost of 4 batteries Rs. 144,000

Total watts of battery storage (200AHx48V) 9600W

Usable energy at 30% DOD (30% of 9600W) 2880W

If battery is cycled to 30% DOD once every day

1200 cycles / 364 days = 3 years and 3 months

That means battery will give 80% or more of the rated capacity for 3 years and 3 months after that capacity will decrease by 20%. That means after 3 years of running, the usable watts will drop from 2880W to 2300W, and this degradation will continue year after year. till the batteries are no longer able to support the load.

Lets calculate the total KWs you are getting out of batteries

2.8KW per day x 3 years = 3057KW

2.3KW per day x 3 years = 2511KW

1.8KW per day x 3 years = 1965KW

1.4KW per day x 3 years = 1528KW

Total lifetime storage in KWs 9061KW

Divide this by the cost of batteries Rs. 144,000 / 9061W = Rs. 15.89 per KW

That means battery storage is costing you Rs. 15.89 per unit. assuming that they last 12 years, which is impossible. I am not taking into account efficiency losses and the fact that the battery performance numbers are based on a constant temperature of about 25 degrees Celcius. So actual efficiency will be lower. I hope I have done the calculations right. I would like to hear your opinion on this.

[/quote]

30% DOD is too small for a deepcycle battery and you will wasting the batteries resources

36000 for a 200AH chinese battery is way too much.

If properly sized and maintained batteries can last upto their stated life or even longer.

Unit of energy is KWh not KW.

To me the major cost seems to be the battery bank as well.

Suppose I want 3 days backup from the battery bank in case of 3 days cloud cover. At the end of 3rd day, DoD should be 20-50% (whichever is optimal for long battery life).

My per day energy consumption from panels is 7kWh or 7 units.

This would require a huge battery bank, it seems.

[quote=“ehti, post:249, topic:19358”]

To me the major cost seems to be the battery bank as well.

Suppose I want 3 days backup from the battery bank in case of 3 days cloud cover. At the end of 3rd day, DoD should be 20-50% (whichever is optimal for long battery life).

My per day energy consumption from panels is 7kWh or 7 units.

This would require a huge battery bank, it seems.

[/quote]

You are confusing

[quote=", post:, topic:"]
State Of Charge (SOC): Amount of power available from a battery at any given point in its usage cycle and expressed as a percentage of the battery's total capacity adding that it is the reciprocal of DOD. 100% SOC = FULL, 0% SOC = DEAD.

[/quote]

with

Depth Of Discharge (DOD): Amount of power drained from a battery during usage and expressed as a percentage of the battery's total capacity adding that it is the reciprocal of SOC.100% DOD = DEAD, 0% DOD = FULL.
[/quote]

No it doesn't require that huge battery bank, dark clouds don't last more than a few hours.

Not all of your Solar energy comes through batteries, a large part of it is used while batteries are in Float mode. Which happens around 10-11AM in off-grid system.

Lastly I'm pretty sure, most of systems installed in Pakistan are hybrid. :)

[quote=“yousaf465, post:248, topic:19358”]

30% DOD is too small for a deepcycle battery and you will wasting the batteries resources

36000 for a 200AH chinese battery is way too much.

If properly sized and maintained batteries can last upto their stated life or even longer.

Unit of energy is KWh not KW.

[/quote]

30% DOD is what gives you maximum cycles from the battery. If you go lower than that the life of the battery is reduced further. This is according to the spec sheet of the battery. I am posting it here for your reference. I have yet to meet someone who claims that the Chinese battery will last ten years. Most of the people say its 5-6 years at 50% DOD. Regarding price this is the price that I got for Sacred Sun battery, Narada battery prices are pretty much similar. Volta Pakistani sealed 200AH battery is selling for Rs. 36,000 at Metro. The usual truck batteries are obviously much cheaper but I doubt they would last more than 5 years at 50% DOD.

Quoting from another source about battery life.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/life.htm

[quote=“blodlust, post:251, topic:19358”]

30% DOD is what gives you maximum cycles from the battery. If you go lower than that the life of the battery is reduced further. This is according to the spec sheet of the battery. I am posting it here for your reference. I have yet to meet someone who claims that the Chinese battery will last ten years. Most of the people say its 5-6 years at 50% DOD. Regarding price this is the price that I got for Sacred Sun battery, Narada battery prices are pretty much similar. Volta Pakistani sealed 200AH battery is selling for Rs. 36,000 at Metro. The usual truck batteries are obviously much cheaper but I doubt they would last more than 5 years at 50% DOD.

Quoting from another source about battery life.

http://www.mpoweruk.com/life.htm

[/quote]

compare it to a major deep cycle battery e.g crown, Trojan etc.

Trojan Cycle life is much better (2000 @ 30% DOD) than Sacred Sun (1200 @ 30% DOD), but the key question is cost vs life.

http://www.trojanbatteryre.com/PDF/datasheets/T105_TrojanRE_Data_Sheets.pdf

[quote=“blodlust, post:253, topic:19358”]

Trojan Cycle life is much better (2000 @ 30% DOD) than Sacred Sun (1200 @ 30% DOD), but the key question is cost vs life.

[/quote]

For temperature every major Charge Controller has Remote temperature sensor available, so it can be adjusted.

Trojan offer 7 years warranty on some of their batteries, so they are meant to last that long unlike Local batteries which comes with just 6 months warranty.

They even offer batteries with 4000 cycles @ 30% DOD

Crown's data will be even better IMHO.

I agree, but I guess a Torjan or Crown battery would cost more than a typical Chinese battery. Do you have any info about pricing of Trojan and Crown batteries in Pakistan?

[quote=“blodlust, post:255, topic:19358”]

I agree, but I guess a Torjan or Crown battery would cost more than a typical Chinese battery. Do you have any info about pricing of Trojan and Crown batteries in Pakistan?

[/quote]

Trojan was available a few years back, but can't say anything about the price.

You can also look for

• Vanadium redox battery these can be recharged just using the electrolyte
  • lithium batteries depending on chemistry
  • Nickel–iron battery can outlast your Solar panel warranty of 25 years. Cost ~ 10K for a 700Ah battery. availability is an issue.

[quote=“blodlust, post:253, topic:19358”]

[/quote]

Sacred sun is not just A CHINESE battery.. it is one of the biggest quality brand manufacturer in power industry and certified to all standards.. it has contracts in telecom worldwide including our very own telenor which itself is a foreign and quality conscious company

as for cycles. you could buy a Flat plate or tubular battery and your life and cycle would vary due to depth of cycle. also, gel have more life and more cycles.. but then gel cost 2x more than AGM then..and are very sensitive

for trojan, crown or even true marine batteries you could have a lot more cycles than Narada and Sacred sun or even other top brands, but their price is waaaaay to high to match.. add shiping, freight, duty and custom to import to PK for NEW batteries and you could see atleast 30-40% price inc than company website.

and before anyone says that they they can import it easily at company price just cz THEY CAn, not everyone was born with a silver spoon up their butt and not every one can import that easily as they claim..

if anyone can afford a flat plate Gel 500AH 48V battery bank, good for them,.. for the rest of the world, just theory doesnot apply to 99% of the people.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:257, topic:19358”]

Sacred sun is not just A CHINESE battery.. it is one of the biggest quality brand manufacturer in power industry and certified to all standards.. it has contracts in telecom worldwide including our very own telenor which itself is a foreign and quality conscious company

as for cycles. you could buy a Flat plate or tubular battery and your life and cycle would vary due to depth of cycle. also, gel have more life and more cycles.. but then gel cost 2x more than AGM then..and are very sensitive

for trojan, crown or even true marine batteries you could have a lot more cycles than Narada and Sacred sun or even other top brands, but their price is waaaaay to high to match.. add shiping, freight, duty and custom to import to PK for NEW batteries and you could see atleast 30-40% price inc than company website.

and before anyone says that they they can import it easily at company price just cz THEY CAn, not everyone was born with a silver spoon up their butt and not every one can import that easily as they claim..

if anyone can afford a flat plate Gel 500AH 48V battery bank, good for them,.. for the rest of the world, just theory doesnot apply to 99% of the people.

[/quote]

cycles vary with every Lead acid batteries due to many factor including but not limited to DOD, temperature etc.

GEL are big NO no for renewable energy (Solar, Wind and Hydro) even for those who have unlimited budget.

Only Flooded lead acid and AGM batteries can be used in such applications.

Flooded lead acid range from small 6V bike battery to large 2V 4000Ah cells, including Truck batteries, Fork-lift batteries

AGM range from a small 1Ah to large batteries upt 1500AH (which I have read about)

For a beginner I could recommend using Flooded lead acid batteries as your first batteries, you get to learn a lot.

• Easily measure actual state of charge using hydrometer
  • Can sustain some abuse.

I mentioned Trojan because they were available with a local Solar Installer. Another less costly solution is second hand AGM batteries if you can find them is good condition.

P.S. can you please confirm the price and availability of NiFe Batteries, they can last as long as 40 years. NiFe manufactured in 1950-1960's are stilling working.

These Exides Look gorgeous :wub: I seriously hope , AGS or Exide Pakistan comes up with this transparent body.

[quote=“blodlust, post:255, topic:19358”]

[/quote]

I hope this explains my earlier posts

Obviously, there are some practical limitations on this - you don't usually want to have a 5 ton pile of batteries sitting there just to reduce the DOD. The most practical number to use is 50% DOD on a regular basis. This does NOT mean you cannot go to 80% once in a while. It's just that when designing a system when you have some idea of the loads, you should figure on an average DOD of around 50% for the best storage vs cost factor. Also, there is an upper limit - a battery that is continually cycled 5% or less will usually not last as long as one cycled down 10%. This happens because at very shallow cycles, the Lead Dioxide tends to build up in clumps on the the positive plates rather in an even film.

[/quote]

http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycle-battery-faq.html