Solar Panel for One UPS

I need info about what solar panel should i get for charging only one ups battery.

please guide me in detail as i know nothing about the solar panels.

you need panels in pairs, 2,4,6 etc.. and a charge controller minimum 20 amps..

panels can be any wattage.. 190w. or 240W.. but all must be same and in pairs..

best combination is 4 panels and a good Charge controller.. your ups will run on solar power all day for free..

Thank you for your reply.

I only need panel to charge my UPS battery and that's only when the power goes off...so i want the solar to charge it only when the power is off

and when the power is back i want it to charge from the wapda power, can this be done?

because the only reason i want a solar panel is to keep the battery fully charged, don't want any complicated setup or too much costly.

^ What you want to do is impossible. A solar panel without a charge controller outputs 18-20 volts in direct sunlight destroying your battery in weeks.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:2, topic:21019”]

panels can be any wattage.. 190w. or 240W.. but all must be same and in pairs..

best combination is 4 panels and a good Charge controller.. your ups will run on solar power all day for free..

[/quote]

Dear What is price of Charge Controller (for normal use as stated by Nameless)

[quote=“executionist, post:4, topic:21019”]

^ What you want to do is impossible. A solar panel without a charge controller outputs 18-20 volts in direct sunlight destroying your battery inaggar

[/quote]

aggar charge cantloer laga dy tu wapda aur solar p same time p battery charge hoty rahy gy?jab battery full ho jai gy tab solar aur ups k charger cantoler battery ko charge nai kary gy..esk matla k solar charge ky wires aur wapda ky wires jo ups ka charge battery p laga k sath charge kar sakty hai.

[quote=“Nameless, post:3, topic:21019”]

Thank you for your reply.

I only need panel to charge my UPS battery and that's only when the power goes off...so i want the solar to charge it only when the power is off

and when the power is back i want it to charge from the wapda power, can this be done?

because the only reason i want a solar panel is to keep the battery fully charged, don't want any complicated setup or too much costly.

[/quote]

if you have a good ups like APC or cyberpower., it will stop its charging when solar power is there.. so all day will be solar only.. wapda will only charge at night.. a switch is connected in between which shifts between wapda an solar when battery charging is low..all thisprocess is automatic..this is actually the simplest method..and this is how we do all our installations.. what you are asking is extremely difficult, much more costly and practically useless..total wastage of solar power.

[quote="zed2, post:5, topic:21019"]

Dear What is price of Charge Controller (for normal use as stated by Nameless)

[/quote]

a good CC should be around 40 amps rating.. that means around 2400W of total panels can be connected to it in future., if you go for smaller 10-15 amps, you can only connect maximum 6-700W panels..and even then battery charging will be very slow..it is always better to buy the best CC you can afford cz your battery life and charging depends on Controller entirely... price difference is not that much..

if you have large batteries, you can get PWM controller and save some money as well.. if you have smaller batteries and dont plan to increase their capacity in future them get the slightly more expensive MPPT...a good 40 amps PWM Controller should cost between 25-35000... if you already have a ups, you only a CC and a Switch to shift between wapda and solar.. thats all.. no need of the expensive 1.5 lacs hybrid inverters..

i myself am using a 60 amps PWM controller which is from our own import..it is working perfectly. i can add 3600W panels on it in future..cost me around 40k..cz company was a quality brand..

brands make quality.. quality of controller means more battery life and more easily adding panels in future.

40 amp cc= 2400 watt solar panells

20 amp = 1200 watt

10 amp = 600 watt

am i right?...farhan bhai looks like a silly query but beginner in solar like me needs

simple words answers...

the simplest answer is..

the lower the amps rating, the less the amount of panels you can connect.. since we all will be moving to solar power in coming years, it would be very smart to buy a quality high rated product now, than, buy a cheap one, and being unable to sell it at even 1/4 the price when your needs become higher.

a good starting point is a minimum 30-40 amps controller. brands matter a lot.. a cheap 60 amp controller is not worth the money as of a quality 40 amp controller.. cz 40 amp is quite sufficient in itself, quality makes all the difference.

you can always buy and add more panels any time in future.. but you canot change your ups and batteries and controller every day..solar is a decade long investment, it should last that long as well. not buy cheap now and spend twice the amount on management and repairs.

that is why we only import quality brands and quality items, because it is not feasible for us to do complaints every week, nor is it good for customer to call our tech office for complaints every week.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:7, topic:21019”]

if you have a good ups like APC or cyberpower., it will stop its charging when solar power is there.. so all day will be solar only.. wapda will only charge at night.. a switch is connected in between which shifts between wapda an solar when battery charging is low..all thisprocess is automatic..this is actually the simplest method..and this is how we do all our installations.. what you are asking is extremely difficult, much more costly and practically useless..total wastage of solar power.

[/quote]

If it will keep switching automatically then that will do....so how much this kind of setup will cost??

just a rough estimate, so i can have an idea about it.

FarhanDS: ".. since we all will be moving to solar power in coming years, ..."

Sorry if its a little off topic but I'm curious as to why you'd think that. UPS seem to be serving all pretty well. And I think this govt is taking enough initiatives that powercuts should reduce considerably in 5 years...

PS: this is not sarcasm...just chilling.

the headlines from past 2 days read,

"Lahor men Ghair ilaania loadshedding ka dorania 8 hours.. Dehaat men 14 -16 hours"

Yesterday headline read

"Wazire Azam ne Load shedding men izafe ki manzoori de di " (so it iis now a Govt supported increase in loadshedding)

lets consider buying a perfect ups in a perfect world with perfect osaka and exide batteries which will charge a battery in one hour and give 300% efficiency to give backup for next 3 hours of loadshedding.. and since battery prices are soo low and wapda give 100% full voltage all day, we can have absolutely zero electricity lapse 24 hours, and thus all our problems are solved.. :) till we have such a situation in every home, only continuous solar and wind systems will suffice..

by your definition, we still have to go for 5 years of govt initiatives atleast then..lets wait till 5 years and see :)

Yaar hamaray "mohtaram" prime minister ka kehna ay jlad ujala ho ga. Bas yeh nahin bataya kahan. Is liay apna apna bandobast kar lo bhayya.:-D

I only see darkness in this f****** country, darkness in the past, present and future.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:2, topic:21019”]

[/quote]

Why panels in pairs ? I am curious to know.

[quote=“Nameless, post:10, topic:21019”]

If it will keep switching automatically then that will do....so how much this kind of setup will cost??

just a rough estimate, so i can have an idea about it.

[/quote]

around 9k..the switch picture is present in my Another solar setup thread.

[quote=“farhan_ds, post:16, topic:21019”]

around 9k..the switch picture is present in my Another solar setup thread.

[/quote]

that sounds cool...i will get it then.

thanks for the info bro.