Solar Energy!

Well i just started this topic to discuss

1.the causes of not using solar energy in pakistan??

2.and how much does it cost at one time setup??

3.and how much without sun time it has??

and is it economical to get one....

its a bit expensive but really good. and yes economical. and i dint understand you q3.

The main hurdle is setup/equipment cost, and the fact that utilizing solar energy is not very efficient at the moment. So you need to cover a comparatively large area to get significant power output.

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

The main hurdle is setup/equipment cost, and the fact that utilizing solar energy is not very efficient at the moment. So you need to cover a comparatively large area to get significant power output.
[/quote]

sah are you really living in canada, since this forum is very pakistan centric, so how do you qualify yourself to be able to moderate or give opinions in this forum, since living in canada won’t be able to give first hand knowledge of local tech situations or problems in pakistan, so any input from you would be based on second hand knowledge acquired from somebody in pakistan or by reading news or blogs on internet. just curious…

@mansha: If you have information which proves what I said to be incorrect, then please enlighten us. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.

@mansha: If you have information which proves what I said to be incorrect, then please enlighten us. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself.
[/quote]

don’t take it personally sah, i am no way challenging your intellect, of course you are intelligent…

anyway coming back to solar well its true that technology is in its infancy, implementation is expensive. my experience in karachi and punjab is this

in karachi sun light is plenty but solar panels requires constant maintenace due to dust accumulation as sand is very fine here

while in punjab constant maintenace is not big problem but sun light is not as intense as karachi.

To support my statement above, Toyota is adding solar panels to the roof of its Prius model to be launched in 2010 (http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/solarpowered_to_1.html). However, it won't generate enough electricity to cut fuel costs in any significant way, but would only be able to handle the car AC, radio etc.

Well i just started this topic to discuss

1.the causes of not using solar energy in pakistan??

[/quote]

a. It’s expensive. About PKR450/Watt.

b. Consumer psychology of seeking immediate returns.

2.and how much does it cost at one time setup??
[/quote]

See above. Also, there are additional costs of charging circuits, batteries, etc depending on what kind of setup is being developed.

3.and how much without sun time it has??
[/quote]

These days? 10-12 hours, I reckon.

and is it economical to get one…
[/quote]

Economical? Yes. But only in the long run. People think that such a thing should pay for itself immediately. That is not how it works. It pays the cost over 10-15 years (life of the panel) so in a manner of speaking, it is a long term investment.

lol sah... offended easily as possible.. ever read the rule "Don't mistake inquiry for insult." bit of fits on you shah.

yes its only good for long run. i saw videos of people getting them fixed on their roofs but here we don't have one:D... (well i don't have one, its "chaht" I've)

To support my statement above, Toyota is adding solar panels to the roof of its Prius model to be launched in 2010 (http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/07/solarpowered_to_1.html). However, it won’t generate enough electricity to cut fuel costs in any significant way, but would only be able to handle the car AC, radio etc.
[/quote]

guys at engadget commenting about solar prius "it doesn’t appear that sunlight plays a part quite yet."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/07/2010-prius-revealed-sneakers-still-a-major-design-influence/

there was a add in dawn a couple of weeks ago which advertised a solar solution for households... I got the impression they were renting out solar hardware for households in pakistan

anybody else see that advertisement

how much solar cost?

about 10 meter by 10 meter

i think there is enough sunlight in pakistan to use solar pannels

but the only thing is awareness which is not available

and how much does it really cost any one has any sources

i read in the news yesterday tht in kolkata they made a comunity of 25 houses and they are selling houses with solar pannels for 4.5 million each

btw the houses were of 10 marlas and double stories

^ I disagree with you on the awareness part. People are aware of the uses of solar energy, however cost is the major impedance. If that wasn't the case, some aspiring entrepreneur would already be exploiting this alternate energy source especially in view of the current energy crisis. I'm sure there are companies in Pakistan offering solar energy based solutions, but they are just not economically feasible at the moment.

^ I disagree with you on the awareness part. People are aware of the uses of solar energy, however cost is the major impedance. If that wasn’t the case, some aspiring entrepreneur would already be exploiting this alternate energy source especially in view of the current energy crisis. I’m sure there are companies in Pakistan offering solar energy based solutions, but they are just not economically feasible at the moment.
[/quote]

you said energy crisis, what crisis???

man this is self inflicted wound. period.

air conditioner, tv, computers, fridge, washing machines, freaken’ electronic and electric market is selling these items in huge amount for last 8 years, don’t these governmental !@#$%^&* see that it would require electric, and they haven’t done jack #$%# to implement new coal or hydro power generation plants. more interestred in importing zillion different type of generators it would have taken 1 tenth of the cost to provide to put ne powerplant in one city what it would haved costed to import these generators in 2008 why the #$%# every house need to generate its own power are we living in mars so that each house needs to be self contained WTF man.

^ Its still called an 'energy crisis' regardless of the path which led to it.

Advances in harnessing solar energy show promise:

Transparent Dyes Allow Windows to Act as Super-powerful Solar Panels

Special transparent dyes coating glass or plastic panes concentrate the Sun’s rays, guiding them to solar-voltaic cells lining the edges, allowing a window to act as a solar panel with 10 times the electricity generation capacity of solar cells, by current standards. The ‘organic solar concentrator’ (OSC) system also reduces cost, by reducing the surface area that needs to be coated by solar-voltaic cells and by eliminating the need for large concentrating mirrors and sun-tracking mechanisms.

According to the journal Science, where the findings were published:

Light is absorbed by the coating and reemitted into waveguide modes for collection by the solar cells. We report single- and tandem-waveguide organic solar concentrators with quantum efficiencies exceeding 50% and projected power conversion efficiencies as high as 6.8%. The exploitation of near-field energy transfer, solid-state solvation, and phosphorescence enables 10-fold increases in the power obtained from photovoltaic cells, without the need for solar tracking.

The Economist is using the term ‘luminescent solar concentrator’, and notes that the work reported by Michael Currie and Jonathan Mapel of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is being researched elsewhere as well, and is related to the standard functioning of fiber optic technologies, which concentrate light and contain it within a conductive glass or plastic fiber. The OSC system conducts light toward the edges of the glass or plastic pane, trapping photons within the pane, causing it to seek out the high-efficiency solar-voltaic cells at the panel’s edge.

There are technical complications with perfecting the OSC system for harvesting solar energy. The dyes capture and concentrate the incoming sunlight, but an excess of dye molecules may prevent a quantity of light from reaching the circumferential solar cells, either by re-absorbing the light or by allowing heat to accumulate and losing the energy through that concentration of heat on the dyed surface.

The EE Times reports that the “edge-mounted” solar cells could receive light concentrated as much as 40 times. With the extreme heightening of efficiency, and the attendant reduction of costs, related to the new panels’ lack of need for mirrors or solar tracking mechanisms, the MIT advance could revolutionize the role of solar power in the global energy economy.

The dye-based solar concentrators could be on the commercial market within three years, distributed widely and helping homeowners and businesses establish productive capacity in linking up with the spreading renewables grid. Consumers with solar and wind-generation capacity can earn money on energy fed back into the local electricity grid.

The solar concentrating dye-coating can also be applied to exiting solar cells, heightening their light-capturing capability by as much as 30%, according to the MIT team. Marc Baldo, an MIT engineer, says “We think that ultimately this approach will allow us to nearly double the performance of existing solar cells for minimal added cost.”

While obstacles to containing and harvesting the full amount of energy captured by the dyes are an issue, Baldo’s team went far beyond previous attempts at increasing the efficiency of solar cells with the dye-retransmit method, by coating only the surface of a glass pane with the dyes, mimicking techniques used to improve the efficiency of lasers, which also contain and bounce light to intensify the retransmission of light at the other end of the contained space.

http://www.casavaria.com/hotspring/2008/07/167/transparent-dyes-allow-windows-to-act-as-super-powerful-solar-panels/

^ Been hearing stuff about it and other similar stuff for awhile. My primary concern is still the cost/Watt.

^ True, but in the end higher efficiencies will make solar panels more cost effective. So its a step in the right direction.