Solar Energy (electricity) or Wind Energy - Which option is the Best?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanosolar is planning to sell them at 1 $ / watt :slight_smile:

[/quote] <----- :D Thank You

May I add following:

Friday March 28, 2008

1366 Technologies: Aiming for $1 Per Watt of Solar Power

The company’s main goal is to manufacture solar cells that cost $1 per watt by the year 2012. That’s equal to 10 cents per kilowatt-hour, which is about half of what they cost today. The two technologies at work in 1366 Technologies’s PV cells are:

1. The “grooved” ribbon - An alternative wiring method that uses small mirrors to deflect light that’s otherwise lost back to the silicon material, making energy production more efficient by 3 percent.

2. Packaging low cost silicon wafers for cell production.

Achieving $1 per watt for solar cells would put solar energy in direct competition with coal-produced electricity. As 1366 Technologies just raised $12 million for the project, let’s hope we’ll see results in time.

-------

It is interesting to note that the World in working (doing R & D ) to produce Cheap Renewable Energy Solution, but this Beloved Nation of our is Just Not Interested in Doing anything BUT POLITICS … In the neighboring country (Ex: INDIA and soon IRAN) Solar Panels and Wind Turbines are beings manufactures and Exported to the World. And we have NOT yet even an Renewable Energy Promotion Authority or Development Board for promoting the awareness and guidance of the Public.

In the above noted Country the Bank’s and DFI (with the support of Gov.) provide soft Loan exclusively for the development of Renewable Energy Systems (Solar, Wind or Bio-Gas and small Hydro Power projects) because they understand that changes at Micro Level would strengthen the National Growth and Economy.

I understand it is boring or out of the way stuff (politics / policy talk) … Sorry Friends … :frowning:

I meant after recover your cost of investment and that is only one time investment,and i heard that for a single home you can make solar system , is it ?

[/quote]

I am a Renewable Energy Consultant / Manager in a local Company (in Karachi) and I am working on Solar and Wind Solution of Domestic and Commercial Application in Pakistan.

The biggest problem in that we need to import everything (upto 90%) and with the very weak Pak.Rs. against US$ / EURO the cost of the equipment PV modules / Wind Turbines is going up.

We are doing our best to integrate cost competitive / affordable Solar PV, Wind and Hybrid (Solar PV + small Wind Turbines Based systems) for the Pakistan.

Let’s Hope for the best … :D

^ Now that you have confessed to being involved in a firm dealing with renewable energy, I would simply ask that you not post any unsolicited advertisements. Discussion of the technology is more than welcome but advertising becomes mighty annoying.

I am a Renewable Energy Consultant / Manager in a local Company (in Karachi) and I am working on Solar and Wind Solution of Domestic and Commercial Application in Pakistan.

The biggest problem in that we need to import everything (upto 90%) and with the very weak Pak.Rs. against US$ / EURO the cost of the equipment PV modules / Wind Turbines is going up.

We are doing our best to integrate cost competitive / affordable Solar PV, Wind and Hybrid (Solar PV + small Wind Turbines Based systems) for the Pakistan.

Let’s Hope for the best … :D

[/quote]

any green solution for cooling my home or room?

^ Now that you have confessed to being involved in a firm dealing with renewable energy, I would simply ask that you not post any unsolicited advertisements. Discussion of the technology is more than welcome but advertising becomes mighty annoying.
[/quote]

Dear Asad,

Thank you for a very BLUNT (rude) note… But I am happy that you talk clearly!

May I ask you to learn to broaden your scope of view and try to understand ppl and make friends …

Take care.

P.S. Read all my messages … I do not understand WHY you think that I am a sales man … ???

poor VISION is NOT constructive… Hope you are intelligent enough to understand What I am trying to tell you - :slight_smile:

^ What I suggested in my previous post was after considering previous incidents with certain other members. Being blunt is far better than other alternatives.

:D

Thank you... You are welcome!

Being a professional, I do understand the meaning of Terms & Conditions and I greatly appreciate you running this Tech Blog / Pakistani Tech Forum.

a firm dealing with wind energy is already working in pakistan, its wind turbine r installed near defence market phase 1, dha, on billboards

and it is dealing with a lot of residences here as well

Renwable I've sent you an e-mail checkout your inbox.

Australian Scientists Create World’s Most Efficient Solar Cells

Scientists at the University of New South Wales have set a new world record by creating the first silicon solar cell to achieve 25% efficiency.

http://cleantechnica.com/2008/10/26/australian-scientists-create-worlds-most-efficient-solar-cells/

^ Is the price for these panels also setting a new world record or not? :P

^ Is the price for these panels also setting a new world record or not? :P
[/quote]

Hopefully not hehe!

No idea about price but the article says

Negotiations for commercial production of the latest advancement are already underway, and could soon lead to a new generation of low cost, high energy output solar cells.

which means it is going to be low cost.

Mobile compns have already started installing solar panels for towers. There are about 60000 towers throught pakistan of which 4000 are using solar energy.installation of Solar panels for each tower costs approx 2.5-3 million.

Mobile compns have already started installing solar panels for towers. There are about 60000 towers throught pakistan of which 4000 are using solar energy.installation of Solar panels for each tower costs approx 2.5-3 million.
[/quote]

How much power do they generate ? talking about 2.5-3 million ones.

hey guys i'm interested in this renwable energy thing(solar)...for my home. can anyone tell me how much will it cost? approx...

it seems that the era of renewable energy is over for the time being. rapid decrease in the prices of crude fossil fuels as well as global financial crisis have punched the final blow in the face of renewable energy resources.

with fuel prices hovering about 50$ a barrel no one is fool enogh to invest in expensive renewable resources of solar and wind energy especially in Pakistan.

LEDs should now be given a chance though. this technology should now be unleashed for power hungry nations at least.

it seems that the era of renewable energy is over for the time being. rapid decrease in the prices of crude fossil fuels as well as global financial crisis have punched the final blow in the face of renewable energy resources.

with fuel prices hovering about 50$ a barrel no one is fool enogh to invest in expensive renewable resources of solar and wind energy especially in Pakistan.

LEDs should now be given a chance though. this technology should now be unleashed for power hungry nations at least.

[/quote]

There is no guarantee that it will stay lower. So cheaper or renewable energy is the future.

Anyone know If Photovoltaic Solar OR Thermal Solar Panels are available in Lahore ?

Any company name, Prices ?

Because i am seriously considering solar energy for some of the projects

Hello Friends,

My (employers) company interested in investing in Renewable Energy Sector i.e. Solar Energy (Electricity) and Wind Turbines (Electric Generator) etc.

I was just thinking to first ask ppl (all my friends / visitors here) , Which option is most suitable for us Pakistan? or Which Technology is suitable?

If anyone have any experience related to Solar or Wind Electric Generating System, please share it with us.

Thank you all

P.S. Certainly, I would try to answer all question, if anyone is interested in learning about renewable energy.

[/quote]

Go for investment that would pay off within five years. Eventually,sense would prevail and government would use Hydral power as the main source… After that time period sale of renewable sources would drop. By the way,I can understand people going for solar power. Who is going to install all the wind turbines privately?