Solar Energy (electricity) or Wind Energy - Which option is the Best?

Hello Friends,

My (employers) company interested in investing in Renewable Energy Sector i.e. Solar Energy (Electricity) and Wind Turbines (Electric Generator) etc.

I was just thinking to first ask ppl (all my friends / visitors here) , Which option is most suitable for us Pakistan? or Which Technology is suitable?

If anyone have any experience related to Solar or Wind Electric Generating System, please share it with us.

Thank you all

P.S. Certainly, I would try to answer all question, if anyone is interested in learning about renewable energy.

Solar is better, IMO. The sun is there all year. Wind isn't, but that varies from place to place.

Yeah. The best choice is solar but in desert areas like "thar" , "thal" and on 700 kilometer coastal area (of Pakistan) wind is also a great way of having energy.

@ Renewable

What sort of company you are working in? I mean have they any plans of power generation to make things better for Pakistan or just investigating?

[quote=", post:, topic:"]

Yeah. The best choice is solar but in desert areas like “thar” , “thal” and on 700 kilometer coastal area (of Pakistan) wind is also a great way of having energy.

@ Renewable

What sort of company you are working in? I mean have they any plans of power generation to make things better for Pakistan or just investigating?

[/quote]

Thank you

Initially they want to introduce solution (Solar & Wind) for consumers (commercial / residential) Next year The BIG projects would be introduced that could / should bring healthy change.

I do 100% agree with you… Wind in the Coastal Area is the best. Also the recent technological advancements have enabled design engineers to develop Wind Turbines Blades / Generators to produce Electricity at 3 m/s wind speed (in the past it was 6 ~ 8 m/s for start up) and the Full Rated Output is now available at 12~ 18m/s wind speed.

I think that was too much theory… :D

EID MUBARAK to All.

Solar is better, IMO. The sun is there all year. Wind isn’t, but that varies from place to place.
[/quote]

Thank you

Mr. Asad, I appreciate your attention on my post.

True - In Punjab Solar is the best because in there is not very good wind at low height. And to to build tall tower for Wind Generator is also costly.

Well, I do like Solar technology because it is simple and somewhat maintenance FREE, but In rainy days and Cloudy weather the efficiency of Solar Panels reduce to almost 15% ~ 10% (and could be Zero). Also the Sun Shine in Summer is 8 ~ 10+ Hours whereas in Winter we get only 6 ~ 8 max.

I think in near future, ppl have to switch to renewable energy… because our utility Co’s are increasing the tariff at there free will… and soon it would be difficult for a salaried person to Pay Bills… :frowning:

opt for solar thermal in southern pakistan and for wind turbines in islamabad near fatehjang.

though there exists a huge wind corridor / potential in sindh, you should focus on the areas mentioned above to give a jump start to your organization.

Wind in and around Islamabad? You are joking, right?

Well, I do like Solar technology because it is simple and somewhat maintenance FREE, but In rainy days and Cloudy weather the efficiency of Solar Panels reduce to almost 15% ~ 10% (and could be Zero). Also the Sun Shine in Summer is 8 ~ 10+ Hours whereas in Winter we get only 6 ~ 8 max.

[/quote]

That is what battery backup systems are for… when there is not enough sunlight.

What a good idea,launch your project as soon as possible because i also heard about that soral technology(Electrical) is very cheap but at start it costs for project but after that have less maintenance and life time savings.

[/quote]

Who said solar power is cheap? You recover the cost of the panels in 10-12 years time with the electricity rates of Wapda. It is a long term investment. Of course, after that time, it is pretty low cost.

Who said solar power is cheap? You recover the cost of the panels in 10-12 years time with the electricity rates of Wapda. It is a long term investment. Of course, after that time, it is pretty low cost.

[/quote]

True, renewable (Solar / Wind etc) energy systems are not cheap to setup. And the payback period is usually 5 ~ 10 year min. But is interesting to note that the price of Solar panels and Wind Turbines are coming down.

In China / Europe Euro.3~4 per Watt

In USA it is $4 ~ $7 per Watt (the price is related to efficiency of the Panel :D)

Eid Mubarak to All

Good....But again FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) Batteries or MF (Maintenance Free LA) Batteries are expensive and they usually last 2 ~ 3 Year (life) if the systems operates at its optimal level.

Yes, if you select Solar you have to have a Good Battery Bank which should account for Rainy Days too. - Thank you.

opt for solar thermal in southern pakistan and for wind turbines in islamabad near fatehjang.

though there exists a huge wind corridor / potential in sindh, you should focus on the areas mentioned above to give a jump start to your organization.

[/quote]

Dear Mr. Xaheer (zaheer)

Thank you. May I ask how your are so specific “Fatehjang”? Do you have any Wind Chat / Map or Data etc. or What? if you have any specific information related to Wind in Punjab - Please share.

#RENEWABLE

i studied "renewable energy resources" as a subject in third year of my studies at university of engineering and technology lahore. during the course of work i did a project on feasibility of vertical axis wind turbines back in 2002. wind rose data can be easily obtained from Govt. Met Office in Lahore at Jail Road opposite LCWU. the govt. was working to utilize wind energy in those olden golden days. my project dealt with employing wind turbines to tap underground water in thar and far flung areas of southern pakistan (sindh and balochistan). they had some micro turbines installed at sonmiani and gharo for collection of core data comprising wind speed and determining the optimal area of the wind corridor at their expense at that time.

moreover, don't opt for photovoltaic solar if you want to establish your company. instead go for thermal solar. the largest PV solar plant of the world produces 26MW. i can straightaway give you the names of at least 05 plants / factories in pakistan which are producing more than 25MW thru thermal / NG.

Dear Xaheer,

Thank you for a very good intro. and information related to Renewable.

I would certainly be interested in communicating with you to share knowledge related to renewable. In the meantime please share with us all you experiences and knowledge.

Hope to see gradual change toward betterment in near future.

Good…But again FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) Batteries or MF (Maintenance Free LA) Batteries are expensive and they usually last 2 ~ 3 Year (life) if the systems operates at its optimal level.

Yes, if you select Solar you have to have a Good Battery Bank which should account for Rainy Days too. - Thank you.

[/quote]

Get CSB’s SLA batteries. 5 years of warranted maintenance free bliss.

And that means that this system would be just like UPS system except that it would be charged from solar panel instead of KESC. This makes it good as a primary electricity generation device but not as a good backup (generator) device.

Good....But again FLA (Flooded Lead Acid) Batteries or MF (Maintenance Free LA) Batteries are expensive and they usually last 2 ~ 3 Year (life) if the systems operates at its optimal level.

[/quote]

And that means that this system would be just like UPS system except that it would be charged from solar panel instead of KESC. This makes it good as a primary electricity generation device but not as a good backup (generator) device.
[/quote]

Dear Shakil,

Yes! Solar PV (photovoltaic) and Wind Turbines are a good choice for Electricity Power Generation and they are being connected to Grid-Supply in the developed countries.

Though the cost of Solar Panels (PV) is now quite reasonable but because we depend on foreign manufacturers. Therefore the cost of the PV module is realted to Pak.Rs.87~90=US$1.00 + Freight + Handling / Packing Charges + Customs / and other expenses make it very expensive. I hope someday we would find someone to invest in setting up PV module production facility in Pakistan. And then it would be available at very very cheap rate (me day dreaming …lol)

Thank you for your message and attention to this topic / thread…I love to talk and think about the implementation ot Renewable Energy Systems.

:D

True, renewable (Solar / Wind etc) energy systems are not cheap to setup. And the payback period is usually 5 ~ 10 year min. But is interesting to note that the price of Solar panels and Wind Turbines are coming down.

In USA it is $4 ~ $7 per Watt (the price is related to efficiency of the Panel :D)

Eid Mubarak to All

[/quote]

I meant after recover your cost of investment and that is only one time investment,and i heard that for a single home you can make solar system , is it ?

Eid Mubarak to All

[/quote]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanosolar is planning to sell them at 1 $ / watt :slight_smile: