Solar charge controller?

Hi,

i have 4 panels of 150w each , each has rated current of 8.0A and 19V . should i use 40A ep solar at 12v , is there any problem by using 40A charge controller MPPT ?

Regards

Let me know about your battery bank first .

r u going to use 12 volts battery or u CAN make 24 or 48 volts system ?

There is nothing wrong in using 40 amps mppt (but it will b very expensive round about 34 thousand , morning star or EP solar one) on the other hand you can also use PWM charge controller in 40 amps (if u r using 12 volts panel)

as u have 4 panels then you can easily go thru 24 V DC solar panel system (by connecting each 2 panels in series and then tie both groups in parallel so u will have 24 volts and 16 amps) then you can use a smaller mppt / PWM charge controller EASILY . and also the guage of DC wires will b thinner (bcz of high voltage) .

plz note that PWM is less expensive but not much efficient . PWM waste about 25 to 30 percent or more power from your panels .

let me know that 19 volts that you mentioned above are Vmax / Pmax or Voc ??

If you are using MPPT then u can give input at any voltage , 12 , 24 , 36 or 48 and on the battery side you can put any voltage of battery bank . 12 / 18 / 24 / ... 96 etc .

you just need to read the manual carefully ONLY :)

Which brand solar panels u r using ?

mono / poly ?

on what rate you bought and from where ? so other members could get benefit from your feedback .

nadeem first of all , thanx for explaining deeply . i have following systen

1) homepower 1000VAC ups

2) 185amp millat ups battery (12v)

3) 600W solar panels (150W x 4) (Mono TATA)

vmax = 19v

pmax = 8.0xxA

4) 30A pwm charge controller

but concern is 30A charge controller showing only 24A in max sunshine solar panels are producing, i have searched and saw that mppt 40A support only 520W is that true . i am asking because this will burn out the 40A mppt charge controller if i connect the 600W solar panels (150W x 4) , to 40A mppt solar charge controller

also solar panel is producing 24A max in pwn charge controller ?

please share your experience thanx for your valueable time

Well, you will never get 30A from a 30A CC. This is maximum limit good controller will always clip output before it. Second, don't expect full output in hot sunny days. Rating are at 25C and usually every unit rise in temp brings 0.5% output down.

From 600watts, you will mostly get 300-350 in hot summer. In winter, they can go upto 600 but you may not be using this.

@gbaz

Brother u need to measure the currents from 2 different places at the time when your battery is about or less than 40 percent .

point one - the wire from charge controller to battery positive terminal . what is the AMPS reading that time ?

point two - the Main wire which is coming from the solar panels and inserted in the positive point of charge controller . what is the amps reading that time ?

after getting this readings we will fnd the culprit . and most probably that is the PWM charge controller . More over that was the battery condition (how much charged) when you measured the reading 24 Amps ?

Tip : you will ruin your battery if u r charging @ more than 10% to 12% of the capacity of the battery (or battery bank) . in your case the charging current should not exceed from 18 to 20 amps .

in my experience The issue is because of the TYPE of charge controller that is PWM . The entire system MUST b designed / understand on papers and mind FIRST and then begin purchasing of the equipment . If some one is gona install a PWM charge controller then the panels MUST not b of higher voltage , and must b in high amperage ., and if u r gona put MPPT one then there is no problem in any way .

many mppt chargers are available in different ratings of AMPS and VoC (open circuit voltage - means when the panels are in sunshine but no load / charger / connected) EP solar in 30 amps can handle 150 Volts of VoC and in the manual 960 watts maximum input (from PV panels) . If you have budget go for MPPT instead of PWM .

this time m in lil hurry :) i would love to answer your query if any .

Wa alaikum salam wa rehmat ULLAH

Nadeem Ahmed

[quote=“tufail_74, post:4, topic:21564”]

Well, you will never get 30A from a 30A CC. This is maximum limit good controller will always clip output before it. Second, don't expect full output in hot sunny days. Rating are at 25C and usually every unit rise in temp brings 0.5% output down.

From 600watts, you will mostly get 300-350 in hot summer. In winter, they can go upto 600 but you may not be using this.

[/quote]

just to add to that.. i recently got upto 22 amps from the same setup from which previously both of us couldnot get more than 15 amps on average... that was after a rainy day with clear sky and great irradiance..

clear skies are soo good for solar :)

Yes that is true with reference to good weather. immediately after previous rain, the sunshine was excellent and i got 1900 watts from my 2145 watt panels. This really great figure to see.

almost 90+% efficiency from a PWM... i m very happy with my results for its price... ofcourse your MPPt would have gotten a bit more extra..

[quote=“tufail_74, post:7, topic:21564”]

Yes that is true with reference to good weather. immediately after previous rain, the sunshine was excellent and i got 1900 watts from my 2145 watt panels. This really great figure to see.

[/quote]

can u please share your system configuration , mean battery bank charge controller , solar panels etc.... , regards

Deleted.....

This is link to my posts where i shared my setup.

Only difference is that i have added panels and now it is 2145watt system with full home on solar. Only the water pump, iron and microwave oven are wapda.

I want to buy EP Solar 4215 MPPT charge controller. Please guide me from where i can buy this charge controller with in reasonable price.

BeOn solar is not selling less then 23500 rupees and Nizam solar did not have this product. If any body know it's main distributer in lahore so please share with me with complete detail.

Thanks

Sikander Ali

nizam solar has this . confirmed

Dear Nadeem,

I have checked with Nizam solar at hall road lahore. Right now they don't have epsolar 4215 but they have epsolar 4010 model which they are selling Rs. 24000/-.

I want to buy 4215 model which is 45 Amp max and 150 PV volts.

Thanks Sikander Ali

call

Lahore/

still confused why solar panel of 600W produce only 250- 300W power :o ? should be pwm culprit ?

Dear Farhan,

I called to your given no but they don't have this model so please suggest me any other dealer.

Thanks

Sikander Ali

search shaheen solar and akhtar solar on hallroad.. FB pages have their contact number.

[quote=“gbaz, post:16, topic:21564”]

still confused why solar panel of 600W produce only 250- 300W power :o ? should be pwm culprit ?

[/quote]

How you measured that they are producing 250 - 300 Watts ?

ALso provide the make / model number of your panels .

while charging battery i see 18-20A on lCD of pwm controller . 20Ax12V=240W ... , my solar panels are china made . MONO TATA brand name is printed...